DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

What's the current date?

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Malakalam
PostSat 02/22/03 7:31am
What's the date on the server.. like, what year (in forgotten realms)? Its rather important, as Glorin seems to be finding out with Sanguis.  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1125DR- year of the Lupine Torque. Strangely enough, it's one of the few years where nothing of interest happens, and it's way before important dates such as Time of Troubles (1358DR) and NWN (1372DR). Maybe it should be changed? Or was there a reason for that choice of year?

Griff
Filtered Chaos
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 7 / 41 EXP: 7 / 41 EXP: 7 / 41
 17%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, thanks griff, i was beginning to wonder that myself, its kind of odd setting dates in the stories i tell when for all i know i could be telling something in the future tesse, thanks! icon_lol.gif
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god.. We're BEFORE the time of troubles??
Ok.. Bane might be around.. I can't find the date of his acsencion to godhood. Is Xvim around?

Guess what - Cyric doesn't exist yet. So both Glorin and Sanguis are completely insane, worshiping a god of the future!
And that temple in Eleriina? to Mystra? Thats the old Mystra, not the new (Midnight) Mystra.
Amusing that Bane arose from Xvim in the same year (in Midwinter) that Neverwinter Nights took place..
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no u shuld ask Geshtal for the date, the diety list is unupdated and dont rely on it to give u the date.

Cherrn knows but hes away...
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guess what - Cyric doesn't exist yet. So both Glorin and Sanguis are completely insane, worshiping a god of the future!

Every saga has a beginning... icon_biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Wait a minute ... I had this talk with Bri and such not terribly long ago and the date around 1375 DR was what I was told. The general explanation was that Dyso picked up somewhere after the single player campaign events, thus everyone more or less had a bit of a "world view primer" courtesy of the single player adventure.

In fact I think it's pretty safe to say that myself, Falkhor and others have been operating on that premise for a bloody long time. Falk and I had several discussions about this stuff going back several months ago ... I'd like to think we're both pretty knowledgeable on things, and couldn't have both been so dead mistaken.
Glorin
PostSun 02/23/03 12:04am
conrads got it right

GO "lord" HOLLOWS

Filtered Chaos
PostSun 02/23/03 6:23am
ok it just got more confusing...  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can have all the discussions with as many ppl you like, i'm only quoting what the date is. I never made that date up, it just appears. Try accepting the beer run or emerald quest and look in your journal. It will say something like day 1 month 6 1125.

Griff
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff, it might be that Gesh didn't think of altering the journal dates. But it seems they have decided that the date is around 1375 as Conrad says, it sounds familiar to me too. I mean, otherwise everything is hucked up. Deities and such don't get along.

Would be nice with a definite answer from the Gesh... icon_neutral.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be the case but if it were ... then some of the deity stuff and what not makes no sense. icon_smile.gif The deity list we've all been playing off of, regardless of being implemented or not, is distinctly, at the very least, post Time of Troubles. Furthermore, the item descriptions and stock books out there also place the date somewhere in that range ... in fact, look at a Harbinger Kin or Whitebone Armor and see what it says. Yes, I know ... "Maybe just left that because it was left over from the standard game" but nonetheless, more stuff suggesting a 137x year.

Of course, in the bigger picture, does it _really_ make a big difference? No.
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Of course, in the bigger picture, does it _really_ make a big difference? No.

It doesn't?? The date determines who the gods we worship are and thier relationships which each other. That largely effects how we (clerics or worshippers of the gods) should relate to each other based on religion.

Am I not understanding what you mean by "the bigger picture"?
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by the bigger picture is it's a game and as such we have a list of gods and their domains, etc. whether or not its this year or that year doesn't really change anything in how we relate to these other concepts UNLESS we want to say this is hardcore Forgotten Realms.

Problem with that is this ... Dysotopia isn't "officially" part of Forgotten Realms, it simply borrows the Realms stuff for some instant backstory. Dyso is the creation and brainchild of Geshtal ... so, really, while he may borrow liberally from the AD&D source material, he can kinda do whatever he wants with his world.

That said ... I still go back to the presumption that the official date is 1375ish DR and the logbook stuff is leftover from some other ideas he may have had and didn't finish up on or elaborate on.
Alisttair
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bhaal and Myrkul are in the deity list so yeah, its pretty much everything packed into one, a time paradox has occured hehe. ANyways, if it had to be one time, it would be after Time of Troubles cause there are soooooooooo many Cyricists out there, its the reigning faith in Dyso.

Caster McFear - professional wrestler
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Cherrn
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35
 65%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Forgotten Realms timeline is currently in the middle of the Year of Wild Magic 1372. This year the return of Bane happened, and thus the death of Xvim the Baneson. The city of Shade appeared over the Dire Wood and floated towards the Desert of Anauroch that used to be the old empire of Netheril. I would assume that Dyso is set at least after the Year of Shadows 1358, since that is the year Cyric was made a god by Ao the Overlord. It was also the year Myrkul, Bhaal and Bane died. Since Xvim was in the Deity's list we can pinpoint it further to at least after the Year of the Gauntlet 1369 since that was the year when Xvim's following became so great that he became a Lesser Power. In my oppinion we should put Dyso at the Year of Wild Magic due to some people worshiping Bane (Zufal, my monk is one of them) It will also let us employ the newest material and let us incorporate it into the game play. Thinking of important and realmshaking events such as the Return of the City of Shade, the death of the Purple Dragon King Azoun of Cormyr and so on.

Zufal- Founder of the Obsidian Order in the name of Bane the Ultimate Tyrant- Human Monk

Irekean the Crimson Flame- Paladin in the service of the Flamelord Kossuth- Human Paladin
View users profile Send private message Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: