DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Removing Item Level Restrictions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Do you like the item level restriction ideas presented?
Yes, I think it'll add a lot to gameplay.
64%
 64%  [ 35 ]
No, leave things the way they are.
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
I don't care, I'll play no matter what you change.
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 54

Frank -DK-
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 5 / 20 EXP: 5 / 20 EXP: 5 / 20
 25%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes. Even if the equiptment gets expensive (and of course i know it will be icon_smile.gif all players can and will get gold enough to get the equipment they want. Of course they will! Its just a matter of time... And THEN we get the prop i talked about above... icon_neutral.gif
Frank -DK-
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 5 / 20 EXP: 5 / 20 EXP: 5 / 20
 25%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: You cant get 100% in faith. I think 70% is the highest...(?) Correct me if wrong... Id like to know if it IS possible to get 100%!!! icon_mrgreen.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh!!!! It WILL last long in gameplay, since the powerlamers won't have enough patience to actually level to lvl 20 with a lot of experience to be able to wield that weapon without chopping their own heads off. I guesss you haven't heard about the new xp system, it'll take you literally months to get to lvl 20, and then you're being fast. Powerlamers will just leave because of that.
Also, newbies won't be able to buy the super expensive equipment because:

1)It's too expensive, by the time they have the gold, they'll either be high enough level to use it anyway, or they will have found out what the deal is.
2)It's not in every single shop you come aross, you will probably have to make it yourself, and if they can make it, they can most probably use it too. Thinking of that, I really like that, needing to make your own equipment icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and YES you can get 100% faith, but it's by using an exploit, so don't ask.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about newbies buying super equipment, if +3 is super to you, then let them buy super equipment because +3 is pretty much the best thing you will find in shops
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
PostWed 03/05/03 4:02pm
I like it. Alot actually. It's not entirely as BG, but close. So I support it.  Reply with quote

Grok
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love the Idea, and it's more like pen and paper AD&D. The concept of unique, legendary items is on the spot accurate....bullseye !!!

If magic items are so rare they will only be found on a few occasions, then this point won't apply, but could monsters who possess a magic item, acctually use it as well ? Not like the great fire minataur has a great fire axe, but like say a tribe of knolls, one or two who have, in battle killed many, might have a +1 spear or some such, or even their king. The idea is to add more realisem into the game.
This item might drop when the monster holding it dies or be in his treasure.

One last concern...disarm and pp...if you have say aquired the legendary blackrazor, after a long and bloody campaine, a skilled char, designed to steal your weapon just takes it away ( using cunning or skill) because I show great respect for others, and keep in charator, I have managed to keep most of my equipment, but when magic is rare, valuble and some times unique...it could become a great problem. Just a thought.

Keep the great ideas comming, I can't wait, alas I must.....urrrr Gack..... icon_lol.gif

Grok
Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of removing item level restrictions, and the realism of being able to attempt to use an item that's out of your league. I also like the fact that this creates the possibility of adding artifacts of great power. My preference would be to leave the item level limit message in place when you examine said artifacts. Since levels are ooc, the level limit message is ooc, but it would be really fun to know the artifact you obtained is so powerful that it would normally take someone at level 30 to use it.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe instead of the level note their could be another heirarchy of classifications. This would be more realistic. Like:

(the stuff in parenthenses is the level you need to be to avoid penalties)
1. Basic (any)
2. Intermediate (5+)
3. Advanced (10+)
4. Expert (15+)
5. Master (20+)
etc.
Not the best titles, I know, but that's just an outline for my idea.

See, with this, conversations could be more IC. Instead of saying "I need to be level 18 to use that staff" or "I need to be in my 18th season", you could say, "Well, I'd love to buy that Staff of Monstrous Fireballs, but first I need to become an Expert with staves." or something. And merchants could be known as carrying nothing for Masters, or only Master equipment, etc.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Marine436
PostWed 03/05/03 8:11pm
hmm....interesting twist you add to it, i more or less like it icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a brilliant idea Maelstrom!!
I really like that one, it would improve a lot of stuff, and it would just be more interesting to see what would happen.
Also, it's way cooler to say "This is a master-staff", than "This staff needs lvl 20" or something.

I really like it.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glorin
PostWed 03/05/03 8:32pm
i like it too, good job maelstrom  Reply with quote

expansia
PostThu 03/06/03 12:37am
I just wanted something (anything) to tell me about the relative level of the weapon I possessed. I really like your idea, Maelstrom.  Reply with quote

Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some real strong magical weapons should require you are focussed or even specialized in it... that would be awesome icon_mrgreen.gif
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do everyone assume that the levels on the items will be removed, if you remove the restriction, the levels are still there, unless you remove them manually
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not the item tells you it's required level is upto the game engine. I have no control over that.

If levels are not shown, there will be an additional function added to the almighty Eye of Examining (the base player tool for doing just about everything in RB) that will allow you to do a check against your lore to find out about what level an item is. There will also be NPCs that can give you a good guess at it...most likely shop keeps and the likes.

Don't take this idea out of proportion though...we're just doing this to allow a slight variation on character abilities to equip items. It means that if you're using an item that's just one level requirement highe than you, you will be decent with it but there will be a chance that you'll fail while using it. If it's 20 levels higher...you will be able to hold it in your hand but anything beyond that...you're gonna need a cleric. angel3.gif

As far as these legendary items...they are VERY rare items...example of a quest for one:

You are walking in eastern plains...there is a 0.1% chance that a particular NPC wizard is out gathering components for some potions...you can converse with him/her. Through the conversation, there is about another 0.1% chance you impress them and they offer you a job. If you take it they portal you to a place that is only reachable via this NPC. You then have to SURVIVE the areas and complete the quest, using the special item they gave you to recall back to their tower and you then get to choose one of 16 powerful items. These items are equivilant of a +4 item and can only be gotten in this fashion...meaning that the chances of getting the quest is 0.001 * 0.001 = 0.00001, or 0.001%...1:10,000..meaning getting there is VERY rare...on top of being able to RP the area and actually get an item. The wizard will cast a powerful spell on these items which will keep them at your side at all times. If you should throw it away in the forest...it will magically appear back at your side. So you don't have to worry about someone taking it from you...

Each item will be handled in a special way...and the DB keeps track of who took what items...so it's possible for him to "run out" of items to reward people with.

As far as items that are above level 20...you'll most likely see 5 in your entire lifetime. Characters that manage to obtain these items will have to do some serious role playing and will most likely be level 20+ in which case they no longer adventure for no reason, they have matured and now sit back and run their own organizations...or are so solitairy that coming across them is extremely rare.

Keep in mind people, Rebirth has over 2200 overworld areas that are all about 20x20 in size! This isn't a small world anymore! It can literally take a month to travel from one side of the world to the other on foot.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The wizard will cast a powerful spell on these items which will keep them at your side at all times.

Hehehe, I can see some really nice scams with this icon_biggrin.gif

I like it Gesh, I like it a lot. Nice handling of everything.
BUT WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE ALL THE AREAS 20x20? Damnit, I really need to get a new video-card now. Sigh, I guess it's saving time. icon_sad.gif

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20x20 was the compromise. If it were up to me they'd all be 32x32...16x16 is the suggested max but a grid of 20x20 areas will allow me to take screenshots and piece together a real terain map of Dyso to be used on the websites...so that people can actually pull up a map and see where their buddies are at in the world. icon_wink.gif Or someone can say..."wait, see this island over here? How do we get there? Man there is SO much of this place we haven't seen!".

So all in all, 20x20 should allow everyone to play decently while still allowing areas to be large enough for grand scale events.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

..."wait, see this island over here? How do we get there?

Hehe, feels a bit like FF. When you first reach the world map in the games, you notice some far-off island, and you go all like "Oh man, how and when do I get there? I bet there's some uber summoning skill htere." icon_smile.gif

Anyway, the size is good in my opinion. The max size 32x32 is a bit annoying due to the load time, so the compromise sounds good to me.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...most likely be level 20+...

Heh, ive asked that question twice, and heres the answer, yay, what will be the max level?
Shin2k
PostFri 03/07/03 6:18am
I think he means as in level 20+ xp based, icon_eek.gif  Reply with quote

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I got it, geshtal won't allow you to go into epic levels, but if you gain exp that is high enough to make you go up 1 level, you can get other skill increasing stuff, and some uber items.
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much figured that we wouldnt be seeing any epic things, but its still possible to be lvl 21 and higher only getting more hp skills stats even feats (spells?)

Or maybe just start another class when reached 20 with one

Last edited by Drudley on Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that that will be possible. It's hard enough to get to lvl 20 as it is icon_wink.gif
If I'm correct, the experience you gain after lvl 20, will be used to determine if you can use epic weapons that have level requirements of OVER lvl 20.

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your character can only reach 20th level. Anything you gain in XP above and beyond that level will give you access to items that are unfathomable in power...but the chances of anything becomming this powerful are next to none. But the option is there...

It means you stop growing as a physical being at level 20...say you're a mage. So your spells are now limited..but there will be items that are level 21-23 that grant you additional spell levels as well as increased abilities...you just have to determine if you want to use them. Without an item level restriction I can make one amulet per main class that will grow in level as your character does above level 20...it will give you the extra base stats and such things that will make you that much more powerful and you will resemble an epic character...but I will force strict role playing rules on anyone that is epic...you cannot just go around killing people or doing things because you want to...you will become a part of the story of Dysotopia and will be given a VERY thick history and toold to allow you to play your part. Perhaps a high level mage (lv25+) will be given his own tower and mighty adamantine golems to protect it. He will then spend his time creating new spells and studying the advanced magical arts. He will be expected to give to the community in the sense of role playing...hiring players to do chores for him...and other such things.

A powerful thief may retire and run his own guild...or a paladin may create an army to protect the world from evil. The point of RB is to leave the world changing and control up to the player community and not the developers so much.
Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He will then spend his time creating new spells and studying the advanced magical arts. He will be expected to give to the community in the sense of role playing...hiring players to do chores for him...and other such things.

Damnit, i would do anything to get to do that

Start my own little store to sell my home made spells and staves and such and maybe train some lower mages

This is starting to sound more and more like the game "Dawn", but that game will never be, it was supposed to be the perfect mmorpg...
ShadowCore
PostFri 03/07/03 5:35pm
Hmm, I always told you guys that this was going to be the best mod ever. Now, am I right or am I right?  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! icon_mrgreen.gif

Drud: It's gonna take a lot of work but those players tha cna prove to me they are of an epic level will be well rewarded...and yes, you'll spend time interacting with the comminuty socially. Example of an event:

[a small estate is attacked by a local guild]
Guards: We can't hold them off, we need more help!

Captain: Send a scout to [YourNameHere]'s tower to the west, we have done many favors for him and he may help us in our time of need!

Scout: On my way sir!

[scout rides to your tower]
Adamantine Golem: None shall pass.

[scout shows the note of passage from you and is granted entrance]

[you're at home chilling researching a way to create a golem from pure ether]

Sir [YourNameAgain], Lord Grock's estate has fallen under siege! We beg of you, please aid us!

[you finish your writings casually and turn to the distraught scout]
You: Yes, yes. You have been a strong ally of mine for some time now. Fear not young one, we shall go there and see what we have...

[you then cast a recall spell to a glyph you have set in the lord's manor, you and the scount are instantly transported there]
Lord: Thank the gods you have come to us. There are 30 knights of the Hulth order besieging the estate, my men are strong but cannot hold them off. We must do something or we for sure shall lost this great estate to them.

[you think for a moment and remember a little spell you researched a while back. You mutter a word and are instantly teleported to the forest outside of the estate walls. You make your way through the woods and can see the estate in the distance...]

[back at the walls, the guards have fallen back and the gate has been breached. The battle begins to flow into the estate.]

[You mutter a few spells causing you to become invisible and protected from practically all forms of damage and you teleport yourself up behind the armies that are passing through the gates. You speak in silence the words to the spell "Glyphon's Gateway" and watch as a large portal appears above the unsuspecting armies. You then picture all those hostile targets in your mind and with the twitch of your head, the portal drops to the ground and closes immediately. All living material from inside the armors are wisked away and the remaining armor and weapons drop to the ground.]

[before anyone even says a word to you, you mutte another recall back into your tower and go back to your work of researching these ether golems you seek to create...]

You may think this isn't possible...but trust me, it will be...
Marine436
PostFri 03/07/03 6:17pm
ok....

im out of words to say...

"Gesh is my god" just, isnt strong enough...

ShadowCore
PostFri 03/07/03 7:14pm
Hrmph, I knew I was right, I always knew it icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Drudley
High Elder

XP
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marine436 wrote:

"Gesh is my god" just, isnt strong enough...

I agree 1000%

This sounds so awsome, i wonder if an evil mage would be allowed this power, if not, id sure make a good one and scrap Rellik
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: