DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Brotherhood of the Quill

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Is the Brotherhood of the Quill an Original/Good idea?
Yes, I think it is both a good, welcome change to that of some of the Guilds turning up these days, as well as a very original idea
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
I think it's good, but not very original
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
It's definately original, but not a good idea
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
It's ok
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
It's definately not original, and good? It's so horrible I wouldn't even consider putting it in a trashy magazine...
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Ulath Fynolds
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14
 92%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: The Brotherhood of the Quill Reply with quote

The Overview
This genteel, refined society has its designs on controlling politics in Dysotopia. Using the quill, brush and stage see how all those artists, playwrights and scholars have the potential to be the puppeteers behind the satin screen, as the puppets dance to their tune. The Brotherhood of the Quill is a fairly tight organisation that has developed over the last few decades in Dysotopia to promote the well being and creative future of artists, bards, scholars, writers and more across Dysotopia proper. They seek patronage from the wealthy and influential promoting fresh thinking and exploring new creative areas.

The Public face
In one way, they represent a brotherhood in its most literal sense, that is, a society of like minded individuals who have come together for the enlightenment and creative support that such a grouping of creative talents offer. This means they can share resources, ideas, find patrons or even shelter fellow members in time of political unrest. In this sense they are no different from a scholarly club, and one could indeed be forgiven for thinking such. However, although they seek to promote artistic stimulation as well as intellectual development, the Brotherhood of the Quill is a far more open society. It's aim in itself, cannot allow it to be otherwise.

As their members include artists of all types, from poets and painters to playwrights and thinkers, the brotherhood seeks to spread news of their work, therefore their name, thus garnering prestige for themselves as individuals, as well as the organisation as a whole. In turn they become sort after and patrons seek to sponsor them, perhaps if they are lucky, royalty might even approach them. This kind of patronage and recognition can only come from the society being open and approachable, known about by the populace, and they actively try to promote their works specifically to gain support.

Although this often means that artists within the brotherhood may be competing together, they benefit from being able to reach an audience otherwise unobtainable to a lowly poet or painter by him or herself. In return for this favour, the society as a whole gain a percentage of the monies made on all work commissioned or sold through such enterprises. It should be duly noted that such funds cannot merely be accessed by an individual alone, meaning that cheating or lying in front of the Brotherhood is not readily possible. Members must also donate certain works of their own to the collection of the Brotherhood, therefore giving it a sizable wealth of material which can be used for funding in times of need or to placate an upset member of the nobility, should things go horribly wrong. On the flip side to this which they give, members of the Brotherhood can utilise the resources for rooms, materials, theatres and even models.

Basically, this guild aims to better it's members' standard of living, and maintain their status (for those who have already obtained such), while gaining support and making investments for the future. It's a co-operative, and for sure it runs smoothly. Wealthy merchants, church officials and the nobility are quite aware of the organisation itself and respect it's charter, after all it makes their life much easier when it comes to commissioning works that nobles require.

Though many artists are approached by people specifically tasked to do the job, what the Brotherhood calls "hunters" it is often that those of the Quill get there by turning up of their own accord, seeking out the Brotherhood due to its well-earned reputation as a hot-bed of learning, inspiration and support for those learned, and creative of this world of Dysotopia.

Hidden Agendas
Note, this is OOC. Just for those of you who would like to say blah, I know this about them. Basically, you do not. It is given as information for those who would consider joining.

It was seen by the Brotherhood's founder, Flolacan Tulowrius, that the works of art which had been created could be used to serve a purpose far more worthy and rewarding than mere vanity or artistic enlightenment; the manipulation of individuals for power and influence. The society is made up of a central group of artists who seek to control the emotions and thoughts of others through the work that they do. By controlling the art world as well as they can, the Brotherhood can influence those who purchase or view the art itself. They seek to direct policy, and influence trends on a large scale. They are political idealists in a sense, who when they feel a cause is right, will use a more subtle means that "Brute Force" to pursuade their doubters of this...

The society could ridicule a member of the nobility through his fellow nobles, ensuring he reacts against them by raising taxes on river trade through his domain, in turn those who supply the goods must raise their prices and thus supply goes to another district. By twisting the vanity of those in who are power the Brotherhood can direct things how they see fit.

The artists, naturally know more about their craft than those who hand over thousands of pieces of gold for the said art, which means that they are authorities on their own subject-matter. This allows the Brotherhood of the Quill to direct the trend of artistic favour and creative fashion in a way that benefits themselves, after all, they may be idealists but they still wish to succeed. Not too rarely works are made and designed with a certain purpose in mind, such as a propagandist play or satirical book. These do call attention to the guild, but they can prove effective in ridiculing various individuals, or even groups within the rich and noble society.

Summary/Joining
Ok, now this is just a basic idea, but I have put a lot of thought into it. I'm sorry about how long it is, but I felt that really I should explain the Brotherhood as I see it in detail, to give those who may wish to help with its development, and/or join it as a guild a bit of an idea about what it is about. Also, please give me feedback on the idea, I believe it to be original, but if it is not I shall be extremely willing to remove it. Post your comments below, and express intrest if you feel that you many wish to. Edits with basic history/guild structure should also be appearing within a day or so, so if you'd have a look at that when it appears, I'd greatly appreciate it/ I'll also answer any questions (if you have any, that is...) about it, and/or the way I am planning for it to work. Also, contact the character of mine who is its leader (though leader's not the right word becuase of how the Brotherhood works) Hyranne Tulowrius for more IC information about the guild if you so wish to do as such.

Last edited by Ulath Fynolds on Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
Ulath Fynolds
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14 EXP: 13 / 14
 92%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Brotherhood Structure Reply with quote

The brotherhood has two layers; the general artists who owe allegiance to the group as portrayed to Dysotopia, at large, and those who guide the brotherhood for what they see as the right political attitude. The first is known largely as the "Guild Proper" and it's members are all Brothers who gain equal benefit from their co-operative nature and partnership. The centre, heart, of the organisation, veiled by secrecy is headed by a Master, who acts as a commander and director of the organisation's political guile. The Master controls the society through his fame, money and influence; it's not easy to remove someone who produces the favourite portraits for the Royal Family, or whom composes the Ballads which those of the plains so craves, or even the sonnets that Eleriina are swept up by. The Guild supports both through tithes and fees. There must, after all, be some form of administrative and organizational group that oversees everything. Basically, the standard outer circle of the guild are known as "Brothers." they play their role within the order, that is to maintain and produce their art, sometmes with a political message if the brotherhood so dictates. The middle rim are the hunters, who are told so muchas that they look out for those with the most intellectual flair, creativity, and sense of idealism .Then, the inner rim. The "Fellows" do the same as the Brothers, with the exception that they are let in on more of the Brotherhood's secrets, and it is their sole purpose to figure out to an extent what cause at any one point the Quill should support. The inner most circle is made of three, the two "Elders" of the Quill, who act as advisors and assistants to the Master, generally overseeing and looking after the Brotherhood in his absence. The third, is of course the Master himself, who is the prime director of the intellectual rapier that the Quill can often be. He manages its funds and looks after memberships. The current master is Hyranne Tulowrius

Overall, the Quill can have quite a few members, as it is the intake and out take flow that makes the Brotherhood of the Quill so influential. However, there are at any one time only 8 Fellows, as those members msut be kept as a small, loyal group.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight:
You're starting an artists guild who also want to have some influence in world events and politics? That's nice. Sounds a bit like college organisations or something like that icon_wink.gif
One of the things you should change in the poll, is the change to "Fighting Guilds" there are several non-fighting guilds around here already(KotLS and OHW, for instance).

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
PostSun 03/09/03 3:31pm
That and it sounds too much like KotLS, at least they produce something gud...  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostSun 03/09/03 5:58pm
well as far as i know

the KoTLS does something, they write books and stuff

the OHW does....what exactly?

Malakalam
PostSun 03/09/03 6:46pm
makes lots of noise and scares away people in the woods, right?  Reply with quote

Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er.. as for the topic, go for it, sounds interesting and little more politics based than the KotLS. Unfortunatly, you'll probably have a hard time finding people interested in joining it, there's just so many guilds right now.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the OHW currently indeed does very little, mainly because I'm never on.
But when I am on, I usually get one or two people to join, and try to stop violence and stuff like that. Trust me, we'll do more after the wipe.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be on the forums often enough.

To me that sounds nothing like the KotLS, I think the name is confusing ppl.
KotLS: Impartial writers and book-keepers
This guild does nothing of the sort.

It might be hard to pull off at the moment as Dyso has no political structure. I hate to say it, but its a rebirth thing.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mxyptlk
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulath Fynolds,
Mxyptlk the Wonderful minstrel would be delighted to join this magnificant guild. How do I go forward?
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Ecusidor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 35 / 52 EXP: 35 / 52 EXP: 35 / 52
 67%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakalam wrote:
makes lots of noise and scares away people in the woods, right?

We (the OHW) do tend to produce a lot of unusual, sickly dusgusting, yet sometimes amusing and fasinating sounds in the forests. You should attend to one of our meetings sometime soon, the sounds are rather overwhelming when we gather, there are no saving throws vs our noice... NOT! (Silly question, silly answer)

Simply put: we protect the weak, needy and innocent and 'ignore' the wicked. This has an overall positive effect on the gameplay in Dyso. We stimulate the game especially for new players since we introduce them to a lot of stuff, and help them on their way (some other organisations tend to scare off new players).... Guess that about covers it... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ogt wrote:
Master ecuisidor you are the one and ony bard in the whole island, as i have said before to you, you are the man!!!!!

ShadowCore wrote:
I'll vote Ecusidor. Go you!!!!!!!!!!! You're also one of the best bards on the isle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(the only competitor for THAT title seems to be Kathryn icon_biggrin.gif)
View users profile Send private message Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: