DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Multiclassing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Multiclassing Reply with quote

Ok, as you all know multiclassing in NWN isn't handled like it should if you follow DnD rules. The main problem in NWN is the handling of class-exclusiv skills (esp. USE MAGIC ITEM)
The maximum rank in class exclusiv skills is class level +3. So a level 19 something, level 1 rogue char could have only 4 points in use magic device. It doesn't matter if you take the rogue level from 19 to 20 or at an earlier point, 4 points would be the max.
Properly implementing this rule would efficiently prevent those powergaming class combinations.
Problem is, how do you implement it? My first idea was to check the skill ranks after every level up, and if too many points are spent, store the amount of XP the char has, take one level from the char (deduct XP), set the XP back (player can level up again) and send a message to the player that he has to follow the maximum skill rank rule.
Should be absolutely no problem to implement, but may confuse some players, so you'd need to make the message easy to understand and probably post about the rule in the EULA.
If you're interested in implementing something like that I could send you the working script in about a week, I want to use it in my own little module, so I'm going to write it anyways, just don't have the time atm (analysis exam on monday, brrrrr cussing.gif )

Oh, and please don't post that I'm wrong about that rule!
I had this discussion a few times now, and I am right! Want to look for yourself? Pick up your 3rd Ed PHB and go to page 56. first paragraph "Skills" icon_look.gif
View users profile Send private message
Z
PostFri 03/14/03 10:31pm
A very good idea, I am all for this.
Pleaseeeeeee implement this Gesh

Malakalam
PostFri 03/14/03 11:15pm
aww.. I kinda like the NWN does the skills, hehe icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

Marine436
PostSat 03/15/03 2:50am
hehe, i agree Dreamen, that would be rather nice  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
PostSat 03/15/03 10:57am
Stupid pricky Bioware! I hate them!
Anyway,. nice idea, let's try to get this implemented.

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything preventing people from expoiting saved up skill points juuust so they can take one level of rogue for robbing people sounds good to me. It's mostly the rogue class being abused in this fashion and people can whine and nag as much as they want: THERE IS NO WAY A level 19 PALLADIN/level 1 ROGUE character can be justified as good roleplaying....
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u should really get a taste of the new xp system before you go making suggestions. I dont even wanna think about how little exp someone would get if they dont multiclass to their favored class....prolly be in the negatives or something.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
dreamin'
PostSun 03/16/03 3:29am
How can not having maximum pp and use magic while being only one level of rogue hurt your XP?  Reply with quote

Malakalam
PostSun 03/16/03 4:10am
you take XP penalties if your highest level class is not your "favored class"

edit: typo.. 20% for each class

Last edited by Malakalam on Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total

Jase
PostSun 03/16/03 4:13am
mwahahahaha huamns and half elves rule  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostSun 03/16/03 4:14am
no just humans  Reply with quote

Jase
PostSun 03/16/03 4:16am
...........? Ah well i'll be doing multi-class wizard cleric icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

Zedium
Hero

XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrm, I think they do use the rules as they should....
My rogue char can only have 4 use magic device when I make her the first time. So I think that is correct with the rules.
Aling Karrde
PostSun 03/16/03 7:34am
I know this is late, but in reply to the first post in this thread, in any cross class skill you also get (level +3)/2 ranks  Reply with quote

Z
Hero

XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed, your rogue char must have been an exception, there are loads of 19 lvl wizards and 1 level rogues see around with maxed out rogue skills. Same with people who take 1 level of fighter to max out Discipline. Its wrong and people who do it probably know it, dreamin' and falk have basically said all this.

And Glorin about multiclassing, this is not stopping people multiclassing to their favored class at all (except if youre a pwergamer). On p&p, this rule lives and is accepted, people who play it multiclass and as dreamin said
Quote:

How can not having maximum pp and use magic while being only one level of rogue hurt your XP?

why not just settle for a few levels in your favoured class and rest in your others while having low skills in your favoured class so you dont have the xp penalty...But then theres no point in multiclassing!!! i hear you cry... Why?...Because of the low skill points.......I see icon_rolleyes.gif .....

While some people who reject this ( most of whom will be powergamers) then of course there are disadvantages to this but compared to the advantages of seriously reducing all those stupid non-rp class combos, i dont see why any of you shouldnt accept this.....

N:B Interesting to note the little support this rule has actually got (from posts here), few of the many regular players have actually posted support here... which says something... where did all the rhetoric go about reducing powergaming??

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aling Karrde wrote:
I know this is late, but in reply to the first post in this thread, in any cross class skill you also get (level +3)/2 ranks

Yep, that's right, and I'd be glad if that would be implemented too, but I think to correct the handling of class-exclusive skills is even more important (esp. use magic). icon_wink.gif
Oh, and Z's note about the little support actually is right, I expected all powerroleplayers to post their support, but noo icon_razz.gif
Drudley
PostSun 03/16/03 12:00pm
*Posts his support*  Reply with quote

Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your CLASS level is 1 you can max have four if it's a class skill and 2 if it's not. At level one, you can have 4 at the most, that's true. But those that multiclass ONE level upon reaching 20, they can have as high as possible. And therein lies the problem. A level 19 sorc has 'saved' some or all skill points he has accumulated and when reaching level 20 he takes a level of rogue, and can allocate some or *all* of those into the Rogue class skills. So, even though he is a level 1 rogue, he can have as high skills as a level 20 rogue. THAT's the bug, THAT's the exploit.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINDO! Not everyone knew that! Now they'll start doing it icon_sad.gif I knew it but I don't do it cause its stupid rp
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although taking just *one* class of something in multiclassing is lame RP, it's mainly exploiting a bug within the system and it should indeed be banned.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything -- I say, ANYTHING -- can happen if the player has a good enough story to back it up. If we're going to do true RP, then you've got to think more along the lines of if this was rl. In rl, there are almost 6.5 billion people in the world, and I'll bet you anything that someone has started out a Rogue (remember this does NOT mean thief, but even then.....), and then changed their ways and followed a different path. Or, followed a path all their life, then, suddenly, gotten into something completely different. I dare you to dare me to come up with a rl example of ANY class combination. I'll give you full character history and everything.

The KEY is that is gets properly RP'd. Just taking it to get the skill points is, indeed lame.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I have to say that banning and making stuff illegal to do is going to do nothing against power gamers. They will find another way to make us miserable. I don't want so many restrictions that it makes it un-fun for everyone else. Maelstrom is right, there are good roleplay reasons for some of these things that powergamers take advantage off.

I roleplay my distaste for the power gamers in Dyso. Power gamers are sort of like lawyers, politicians, and CEO's of large corporations that go bust cause they lied. We need people to hate and gang up against in game.

Here's the way I play it out. They are the maniacs of society. The power hungry that steal from the honest and evil alike. They rape and pillage. They are the force that unites the people that normally don't mix. The scum of society that even the evil despises. icon_twisted.gif

And then I go back to my favorite saying today. IT'S JUST A GAME.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Coral_Reef
PostFri 03/21/03 4:32pm
Hear Hear!  Reply with quote

Kin, The many

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Powergaming and cross-classing Reply with quote

Easy solution would be to take away the saved points at the end of a level up...therein causing someone who waits till level 20 to cross with rogue or another class to use only the points from the current level up.They will have to use points wisely since you have to have high intelligence to take advantage of many points most powergamers are not an intelligence based charecter this will limit what they can do.

*For those who fight there is always money*
icon_evil.gif
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Powergaming and cross-classing Reply with quote

Kin, The many wrote:
Easy solution would be to take away the saved points at the end of a level up...therein causing someone who waits till level 20 to cross with rogue or another class to use only the points from the current level up.They will have to use points wisely since you have to have high intelligence to take advantage of many points most powergamers are not an intelligence based charecter this will limit what they can do.

you realize that would eliminate cross class skills altogether, don't you?
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Azaziel Seirim
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14
 7%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a better solution would be to prune the points given to any skill after the char does a level-up. (or on login). Force a lvl19 cleric/lvl1 rogue to have at most 4 to any rogue skills. Gets complex on skills shared among classes admittedly, but at least you dont have lvl 1 rogues with the skills of a lvl 20 rogue.

Oh, replace rogue / cleric with suitable classes of course, just picked a likely example.

None of this is likely to happen I think. Perhaps the server vault could be periodically scanned though for characters which are obviously exploiting this bug.
Kindo
PostWed 03/26/03 6:19am
I don't even know why it is possible to save skill points at level ups. It's totally illogical.  Reply with quote

Shin2k
PostWed 03/26/03 6:27am
It is possible yes, and its really irritating to know a fighter can use any item they want making them nearly invurnable  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use those points spared at level ups, because it's the only way to get anything into cross-class skills without ignoring other skills. So don't eliminate THAT. But perhaps you should use the character class-level to determine if you can use it as a class skill, NOT the total level.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dreamin'
PostWed 03/26/03 12:30pm
Saving skill points would be no problem at all if the max ranks in class/cross class/class exklusive skills would be handled correctly...  Reply with quote

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: