DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Order of the Shining Blade
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Order of the Shining Blade Reply with quote

I want to get together something of a "knightly order" (think Order of the Radiant Heart from BG2) based in the region with perhaps a small keep somewhere in the wilds (I'm thinking somewhere between Sylvandale and Eleriina) and/or with "branch offices" in the "good" cities (think Brotherhood of Steel from FO/FO2). I'm not terribly concerned with class since so many multi-class anyhow ... but it would be a "good" group with an emphasis on being lawful good and perhaps some neutral good (lawful neutral would probably work as well). They wouldn't have anything against CG characters, but a regimented order such as this is going to be an awkward fit for a chaotic character. Ideally the Order would be looking for Paladins and noble-minded Fighters and Rangers but other classes would be useful and welcome for different things that would need to be done. Barbarians would be the hardest fit since they have to be chaotic as a rule (unless dealing with someone who align shifted to non chaotic and is gaining levels in something else).

The primary idea for the Order would be to be something of a standing private army to defend the "righteous" regions from invading Jeshan Orcs, bandits and other strife coming in from the wilderness and elsewhere. The main ongoing purpose for the Order beyond these issues of regional protection and defense would be individual cases of solving and/or prosecuting crimes and questing against instances of injustice and evil.
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a cool idea, something to Target on my Future Crusade of Terror. BArbarians dont have to be Chaotic by the way, they just cant be Lawful.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the alignment restrictions of any non-this or must be partly-that, I get a bit confuddled at times. In that case, an NG Barb would fit in nicely. Insofar as the Crusade of Terror ... well, now that you mention it, that would be a pretty logical aspect to it all. icon_smile.gif
XPhoenixX
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argorn, lvl 17 Paladin of Tyr, would be honored to join your Order. I also have one suggestion if this ever gets off the ground. For God's sake, if you make any guild items, please make a greatsword with Holy Avenger on it. Its beginning to drive me mad that I have never seen an item anywhere with that ability. As for the Crusade of Terror, I think i might have to be absent that day, sounds kinda like suicide to be good icon_cool.gif .
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already submitted two great swords to Gesh for inclusion into the game that fit the holy avenger bill that you mentioned. One is a real butt-kicker, but its a level 20 item. The other is fairly nice, too, but toned down for level 15 (can't be helped ... if you want it available at lower levels, have to tune it down). The thing is ... both of them would "more or less" fit the unique item bill (or close to it). I am considering making some sort of a generic version in, say, greatsword and longsword forms that would be like a level 10 item and in more "wide distribution." The holy avenger trait tacks on quite a bit of value all by itself to an item, so I'm not even sure if it would be worth it ... but I'll experiment and see.

XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hieronomous Stone, at your service Conrad. I'd be happy to join your newly forming order, as I've been to join you on the field of battle in the past.
Galimon
PostWed 09/11/02 11:54pm
i would be willing to reconasince work for you conrad, kei would be more than happy to help, especialy if tark is gonna be there.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostThu 09/12/02 3:17am
I would definitely like to get Tark involved ... altho he's not put into play much more any more. Too bad, really.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks ... I have packaged up and sent off to Gesh and Bri a zip of the Order of the Shining Blade item sets as well as the two previously talked about Holy Avenger swords. Gesh said he hoped to get the stuff in before beta. Here's the skinny on the base item sets ...

Three sets, tiered to levels 10, 15, and 20.

Gear is primarily suited for a Paladin, Fighter or Cleric ... but parts/pieces certainly useable by others. The stuff is align restricted to LG, LN, and NG which are the core alignments for the group (by definition, the Order is out to fight lawlessness and evil) but they are not class restricted.

The set is compromised of a helm, ring, bracers, full plate, boots, and belt. As you move up from one tier to the next, the items get progressively more powerful but still similar ... i.e. base powers are the basically same, just better as you go up.

There is also a set of three greatswords that are also tiered for lvls 10, 15, and 20. Not everyone likes greatswords, of course, and the swords are not really contingent fits with the rest of the gear. They are, however, designed to fit the "purpose" of the Order. These are not holy avengers, but somewhat comparable. Like the other gear, they are align restricted but not class restricted.

The two holy avengers are a lvl 15 model and a lvl 20 model. The first is mainly geared at going after "outsiders" altho its a decent blade in general use, too. The other is more powerful but more general in use.

If you want more details, just ask and I shall post.
Drudley
PostMon 09/16/02 7:30am
As a lvl 20 Cleric/Fighter/Paladin, Stort Stenras would love to join, Lawful Good of course  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ... happy to have you. At this point most of our "adventuring" has been on the Linux side of things ... as that's where most of us have started out. With the migration, however, expect to see a few of us around on win32, too. I really need to compile a list of members, don't I?

Insofar as the item sets themselves ... not available yet. Gesh said he'd try to get them in before beta ... but I don't know as there is a set timetable there. Hopefully more sooner rather than later. icon_smile.gif
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Argorn wants to join, hes on win32 though. Ill keep a look out for you on win32, maybe you will pop over icon_smile.gif .
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more the merrier ... I take it you are what they're calling a "pure blood," right? Same with me ... didn't multiclass my Paladin. Really no good reason other than that I hadn't been able to resist multiclassing at least a little bit in the past. icon_smile.gif
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Im a paladin through and through. I have experimented with pally/war. But it only yielded the +2 to damage with wep special. Other than that it was useless. So I didnt do it with Argorn. Im anxious to see these guild items. My pally is needing some new gear. Specially a new blade since the glathers was taken out.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop me a line or post up a mail address for me to send to and I can send you the item package in a zip file if you want. Granted it hasn't been implemented in the module yet (at least Gesh hasn't said anything other than he'd try before beta) but you'll see pretty much what the stuff is about. I found one place where I forgot to stick the LG/LN/NG align restricts on one particular sword ... but that'll be fixed before the stuff is actually included.
Weyr Wyrmfang
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

Waeyr - looks like my final character is going to be a Cleric / Fighter (19/1) LN. I'd love to join you Conrad; had much success with you and Kei and a lot of fun to boot.

D
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
PostTue 09/17/02 4:33am
Hey, always good to have another spell-bringer in the ranks! icon_biggrin.gif  Reply with quote

Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, you wouldnt happend to be able to make a spear for all the spear using guys in the guild, cause ive used the two weapon feats on spear...

Anyway...

"Name"

Holy Avenger
2d6 piercing
+3 strength... that possible?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
XPhoenixX
PostTue 09/17/02 1:51pm
Hey Conrad, I sent you a personal message about the guild items. Looking forward to seeing them.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudley ...

The thing with the holy avenger item power is that its only active if in the hands of a Paladin. My experience with items is that you can put it on anything and leave the item unrestricted to class ... but the holy avenger power only is active if the weapon is used by a paladin.

At any rate ... I only did greatswords with the original item set ... this is not to say that a spear, longsword, hammer and whatever else couldn't be added with similar item powers. I just didn't want to swamp Gesh with the mother of all item zip files.

Phoenix ...

Got your mail and sent out the stuff.
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEEERY nice stuff Conrad. I particularly like the boots icon_biggrin.gif . I get this sinking feeling that it all wont be approved though icon_sad.gif . I hope at least the weapons and the chest armor stays in, including the varients for lower levels. Mainly because with those, and possibly some varieties of weapon styles, most people in the Order would look similar. In this kind of Holy Order, this kind of "uniform" would fit nicely I think. BTW Conrad, if you need help in any way with this guild just ask, I would be more than willing to help out.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Phoenix, the boots are really not terribly different from others already in the game, just different slightly. They're sort of a combo between the boots of hardiness and the mithril boots, but without the total power of both combined. That's the 20th level version, anyhow ... the 10th and 15th level aren't as grand, obviously.

Insofar as approval goes ... Gesh did say he'd try to work it in before beta. I went out of my way not to make the stuff godly ... they aren't designed to immune you to any one sort of damage type, they are designed to spread the defense across a few areas but not center on any one particular thing. I could have gone all out and added in some other stuff and still kept the levels the same, but I went with what I did in the bame of balance. Individual players can decide to shore up particular defenses with other items they buy or find.
XPhoenixX
Master

XP
 35%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you did a good job on spreading out the defenses, except in the magic area. Against other melees this armor is pretty well spread out, defended against different types of melee damage somewhat, and decent saving throws for all those "on hit" effects. Altogether nice. But some may not make it due to fact that Gesh might not want so many guild items, not sure though. Have to read up on the mage guild items descussions.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I did want to reiterate ... as there has been some confusion, at least judging by what some folks have asked me in mail and during game ...

The purpose of the Order of the Shining Blade is to act as something of an in-game multi-zone patrol. Help out the new folks, clear out some nasty spawns and zone-baited critters, keep lawlessness in check and help protect the cities of Eleriina and Sylvandale (which is where I propose the guild has two small bases of operation). Additionally, I am sure, there will be missions of sorts to help slay this or help defend that.

This is not a class-restricted group ... but it is align restricted in that, considering purpose, really only LG, LN and NG aligns would make logical sense. No ill will to the CG folks, but this group is about supporting the law and order of things and Chaotic folks just like to cut around the corners too much. Heh. icon_smile.gif

Certainly the group is more suited towards fighters, rangers, paladins, and clerics ... but we do have a rogue or two as well as a mage or two. There would certainly be times when the skills of any class would be useful in serving the mission statement of the order.

I've seen some other talk of similarly themed groups and I wish them well but all I can say is that things will be more effective with one such unit than several of them. Not that I expect anyone to change their mind simply on my account. icon_smile.gif
LaurenBruden
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9
 33%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Hey Conrad Reply with quote

icon_lol.gif Conrad you know I will join your order. Lots of cleaning up to do in the world of Dysotopia if you know what I mean. We need some order. icon_wink.gif
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad, my character is a bit paladin... So i can use the Holy Avenger power, in fact i am doing it, im using the Holy Spear +2 right now, but its just not enough, its like a 14th lvl weapon, and im level 20...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the good will fall before the darkness

icon_smile.gif

ne who....i believe most guilds are making Armor, helms, shields, and weapons, basically ne thing that effects the looks, and making a unfirom of them

my idea was that if a guild member decides to use a kit or other armor ect. instead of Guild stuff, then he will be no longer in the guild....since he no longer wears the uniform hes no longer loyal to the guild

such a system is being put in place in the Black Knights and i suggest others do the same. just makes alot more sense and is more roleplayier.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
XPhoenixX
PostWed 09/18/02 7:19pm
Hey Conrad, about what time do you usually play, Eastern time? Also what is your character name? So I know when and who to look for online.  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostWed 09/18/02 7:27pm
he plays linux ;0  Reply with quote

asterith
Master

XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, Glorin! Did you think that the good people of Dysotopia would let you and your dirty snivelling minions get off without a fight! Go back to the sewers and the darks places you crawled from before hand your ass to ya! icon_biggrin.gif

Conrad, forces are organizing in your favor. Once we work out the details, we'll contact you. icon_wink.gif

Asterith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: