DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Cookie Cutters on Dyso
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Cookie Cutters on Dyso Reply with quote

Okay for those of you who don't get it, a cookie cutter always cuts the same shape... never unique, always the same, so maybe you can guess what this is going to be about already.

Dysotopia needs more unique players! Not just your profiles, but your equipment and spells as well. I don't know how many *countless* Clerics I have seen who ALL weild bastard swords, full plate, take the air and magic domain, and cast nothing but harm and blade barrier.

Druids wearing full plate (this actually makes NO sense)

And so on...

*WE NEED MORE UNIQUE PLAYERS!*

This has improved quite a bit with the last wipe, but then again I still see it fairly bad.

What is a unique player you say?

Well lets see. Right now I have "Kuro Kitsune" which stands for Black Fox. She is a drow sorcerer whose only focus is necromantic and evil magic. I don't have magic missile, I don't have melfs acid arrow, I have Ray of Enfeeblement, Ghoul Touch, Scare, and so on. The role play experience is SO much more enjoyable people! I guarantee that you will like it!

Before the last wipe I had Yuna Braska. She was a cleric who (until level 20) NEVER used armor! I fought with a quarter staff and used summons as my main figher. It was difficult, and power lamers could kick my ass, but it was FUN!

Try out multiclass combinations that nobody has ever done before (or very few people do anyway)! Such as a Fighter/Mage. Too many people (yes I was once one of them) take power gaming levels. Such as Rogue1/Cleric19, paladin1/socerer19, and so on.

Just try it. You will find that things are much more enjoyable.

We need to revive the fun and experience that everyone can enjoy!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to see myself as quite the unique one. But getting unique characters is quite difficult if there is one best armor which everyone can get for instance.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the point! Don't use the best armor! Make do with *not* the best armor because you are good enough to do so without it. This is how its going to work anyway (mostly) what with the money being so valuable now. But that's just my point! If everyone wears the same thing... while it may be good, there is no more uniqueness! I'm not saying at all that it isn't there, just that it's not there enough. Like I said, when I had Yuna, I could have easily worn the best armor, but I chose not to because it would only lessen who I was as a character. Techinically, druids wouldn't even consider wearing metal armor, but people do just because Neverwinter allows it.

I remember when I was talking with three other OSB members: Conrad, West, and Draku, and they were ALL THREE wearing the same helmet and armor. It wasn't anything OSB specific. Hell, if they didn't have names floating above their heads, I couldn't tell who the hell they were.

Other things that are 'cookies'

-The fact of how everyone uses a tower shield, NEVER (unless they are small creatures or very rare instances) do people use a small or large shield.

If everyone would focus more on their characters, we wouldn't need to have so many top-notched power freaks. Trust me, it's way fun. The rewards will come with better RP and dyso experience.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, this should be better when guild clothing get's implemented, I'm looking forward to wearing my clothes(which do NOTHING) all the time. I don't care if there are better clothes out there, I'll wear my guild outfit, after all, I AM the guild leader icon_biggrin.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pillb0x
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56
 44%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of characters seem to lack personality.

Other seem to have a personality that is that of their player/creator.

A few are guilty, of this I am certain. Meglomaniac characters with delusions of world domination and the suffering of other characters, are, more often than not, the creation of a depraved mind.

Thats not always the case, and, you can tell a distinction between a true evil role player and someone who just likes to give people a hard time.

As for myself, I think the best way too get to people is to work around the allingment system.

Take, for instance, my next character plan:

Black, 72 year old, blind sorceress. Who "sees" with her magic. And has a Miss Cleo-esk' accent.

"You know what you be needen' darlin', a bit o' ju-ju to give the law mahn da' stine eye."

To me, this is creativity. This is going beyond your limits of "good" and "evil"
Stop being so typecast and static with your charcter creations.
Give them there own life, and stop giving them yours.

Kindo wrote:
Are you some kind of newspaper-editor-publisher thingie?

Conrad Hollows wrote:
15min of effort (on anything other than trying to max their character) is more than most are willing to give back ...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostTue 03/25/03 4:41pm
Amen... pimp.gif

Truer words could not be spoken!

Nei
Hero

XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I could care less about the equipment especially for people of the same guild like the OSB. I'm more concerned with the behavior aspect like Pillbox menitoned. There are like three camps: 1. don't hurt anything or anyone and help everybody you can 2. Kill everything and everyone for whatever reason. 3. ehh whatever.

There are a lot of unique characters out there, some even have developed mini-cults of personality. Maybe once people realize that anybody can build the same ultimate character, they'll realize that only through role-play doing things a little differently can their character be unique.

Oh and while on this topic why don't we hit names too. Ah the number of Final Fantasy and Lord of the Rings names are just staggering. I'm not even big into fantasy novels so I'm sure there are many more I'm just missing. Even worse than just the name being the same, they model the characters after their namesakes. This irritates me beyond belief, seriously do something original.

Oh one equipment issue I do have, since when did big macho guys run around with Scythes? seriously? Half of the server's non-halfling population uses a Scythe. It's cool it you play a grim character like Angelica de la Morte, but why the hell does everyone have one? I don't care if it does 2d6 damage and has x4 crits, seriously why in the hell are you using a friggin' Scythe? I'd fall over laughing watching a person fighting with a scythe in real life. That is my big equipment beef.

Last edited by Nei on Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
pillb0x
Hero

XP
EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56 EXP: 25 / 56
 44%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like quirky personality traits like :

*eye twitches*
*rubs back of head*
*vomits all over self*

In a real situation you take notice if someone has a tick, or a problem, or whatever.
Characters seem more real if they display realistic traits.
In a larg party, however, it can be annoying, and you cant keep track of every person.

You have to know when to do it, and when not to. If your in a small party and build relationships, thats great. But, if your in a party with 8 or more people, just get to the point.

Kindo wrote:
Are you some kind of newspaper-editor-publisher thingie?

Conrad Hollows wrote:
15min of effort (on anything other than trying to max their character) is more than most are willing to give back ...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, i ran in to a Great Charachter He was SUCH A DUMBASS ! nel didnt know how to react

and was he orc, NO

he was Human

his name was "Know"

and after Nel said her name he went like this

"Sir Nel, How did you Get a Different Phsical Apperence then us"

Nel was so Freaked, out She wanted to leave, but due to the great, RP i stayed, along just a little Longer

it was SOOOO fun
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to careful about someone making "extremely unique" characters with for example 19 levels of wizard and a lvel of rogue... Or 19 fighter and a lvl of rogue... repeat*rest of classes... and similar "unique combos"

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Shin2k
PostTue 03/25/03 6:49pm
I am unique, and I used to be... Its because I make idiotic chars that would never excist in DnD.... But I got a big Imagination!!! AND I LOVE IT!  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I simply said equipment because I figured it was common sense to RP normally with your characters bio. (Which I pointed out at the first message)

Nei as for your comment, I can agree and I can also disagree. When someone makes a character like that and DOENS'T role play it, then I find it totally stupid, they just want the name simply for the attention, however, when someone DOES roleplay it, I find it totally fun. Not only can you 'interact' with that character, but you can see how that character might be after the game has ended. It's a different PoV for me. And I don't see it as a problem as long as the names aren't over used on a singular basis. I *have* seen a LOT of LotR characters, however I have seen sooooo very few final fantasy characters, which, is why I decided to do it. It's fun to do, but the only one I have left now (since the wipe) is Terra Branford, and that's only because she gained a bit of a reputation before the wipe, long ago. But like I said, its fun to do if you RP it, which like I again said earlier, is why I never wore armor, used a quarterstaff as a weapon, and had summons do physical fights for me whilst I blasted them with magic.
MerchanT
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22
 13%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I see this along the same line of criticism as "if you're role-playing you don't care how much money you have." The fact is someone IS going to want the best armor they can afford if there's something that's clearly superior. There are also going to be characters that favor fashion over function who will go for something flashy. But this is an individual decision and I don't think anybody here has any business telling anyone else which road their character would take.

Adam

/ Meet the Mos'viels! /
* Baleric * Finn * Mordecai *
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I'm not using the best armor setup I could be using with Zach ... I'm using the combo that looks pretty cool to me. It's pretty close to being about as good as it could be ... but it's not the best ... but it's so nice and color coordinated. icon_biggrin.gif
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a wizard in medium armor with a greatsword.
Is that origional enough of a character? I won't go into my personality and such, cause I don't want people to know it.
Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a lot of Lord of the Rings - characters. But none has ever made Gollum the way I did. icon_wink.gif

Don't take it seriously.
Geoff
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27
 96%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem, too... Also no one stops and says hello anymore. Also, in a move to gain considerable self-glorification, I think I have the only spanish-named french-speaking pale-white angel-of-death-in-training on the server. If I am mistaken, someone contact me.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, well. Unique characters, hmmm. Can't count me there, you know why? Xavier Dotson isn't meant to be unique. He's meant to blend in like a snake in the grass. If you see him coming and know him well by that purple and maroon robe that is absolutely hideous he wears, you'll know who did it every time.

Sure, he might not be the most *ahem* all-there mage in the bunch, but he really does have it wear it counts upstairs. He's smart, just… power hungry and not quite sane (he's been granted life, and since he's evil he's seen the Abyss and has lived to tell about it. This made him quite a bit insane, and I know it is clichéd from LOTR, but that's how it's meant to be. He's very favored by Cyric, after all, and Cyric isn't exactly your standard hard-core ***hole like Torm or Helm). This is where my power gaming side comes from. He's meant to be a battle mage, and if you know any better way to become a battle mage besides doing battle, please tell me.

Other than that I have actually played a successful Fighter/Mage. Talon Carrde. It was kind of funny when I buffed myself (17 mage 3 fighter) as far as I could and then put on some full plate, got out the helmet, battle axe and tower shield then proceeded charging head first into combat as a fighter. All the time people were asking me, "Uhh.. exactly, what are you?" Of course, I never did have anything more constructive to do then hunt the heads of wanted men. (Bounty Hunter and Fighter Mage. Hmmm.)

Oh, forgot about Grusk, my very first character on Dysotopia. He was a half-orc paladin of Torm. Yeah, a half-orc paladin. His orc village where he was raised was being raided by dragons, goblins, gnolls and bugbears in mass numbers, slowly starting to kill off the mighty orc tribes where Grusk was born. The church of Torm and the holy paladins of thus came to the rescue of the over-all neutral orchish tribe (note that they remained in power for a very long time) and brought freedom to the orcs that were being attacked by so many of different but similar race. The chief of this tribe had died in combat and his wife had fallen in love with a rather sick and desperate human that wandered in from the woods.

They made sweet Orc and Human love one night and out came Grusk a few months later. The half-orc Grusk was instantly prejudiced. The other orcs made fun of him, picked on him and the scars are endless. His mother, although orc, had a certain fondness for caring about her child even though it was a flop, and gave Grusk to the church of Torm in thanks for saving the tribe so many years back. Grusk was raised in the church’s confinements and was modeled to be the ideal paladin of Torm; only problem was that he was a half-orc. Came to Dysotopia because he sought to leave his homeland and spread the word of Torm across the lands other than Faerun, as the word of Torm was and is quite strong there.
View users profile Send private message
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm... small problem with the paladin thing... you can't be modeled after someone to become a pally, you need to have the call of the divine, rather like the Force, it chooses you, you don't choose it. though you can deny the call, if you must
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, sorry. He was Fighter Class, just counted strongly as a paladin in the ranks of Torm. Never felt the divine call through the yelling of the task master.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can agree with you MerchanT, and I totally support the fact that nobody should tell someone else what they should do. But it does get pretty boring seeing the same thing every time... just a suggestion, but also a rant.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse, there is always that problem of wanting to be the best, but that doesn't block any personality quirks and uniquenesses. I think I did a pretty good job at that, but I'm not sure. People should make their characters have seperate personalities, and quirks, and desires.

Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people always are complaining, why not just make a char with 13 on all stats, thats balanced and you got all sorts of skills, good looking, intelligent, wise, strong, agile ect....

and take persuade and taunt if possible, and listen and spot, so you can call yourself a real rper
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, wow I thought this was a dead topic... but on a GOOD post from jon for once (good job icon_smile.gif):

Well the reason that people don't do that is because they MUST powergame... and in order to do that, they MUST have uber strength and stats... 13 in every stat, although balanced, is very unpowerful... thus, more cookies are cut.
Mentos
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncertain if my wizardess is unique or just another "ehh" character.

What I find really hard to do in RPing is picking certain traits that while may not be stereotypical but not that common.

Mentos is a halfling, I have no idea how halfling culture is nor the history of the MOD or where halflings come from so I gotta make it up. As far as her class goes, I plan to take her to a full 20th level as a wizard (god help me if I don't die a million times before that day). She worships no gods but believes there is a divine pressence (be it one or many beings) but she does not worship them. She does not crave ultimate power, yet when she does something partcularly powerful she does remark about how gifted she is. She is always eager to improve her spell repetoire and gain favor in her school of magic. Currently a loner who is randomly accompanied by Gustav (RL friend) she is usually talking to her familiar Esca. Esca is a character all in himself, he plays tricks on her and likes to rummage through people's belongings and cause general mischief. Though he is loyal to his mistress and has died many times defending her.

Currently that's all I've figured out about her, I'm sure there's more things that will happen (be thought up) over time.

So tell me, is this an original RP char, or do I fall into a predefined mold of some sort?
"Is this who you are? Some sweet violent urge. A weak fallen man, with the promise of an end?" - 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think West is the typical paladin/fighter. However, isn't personality of the character and how it relates to stats/appearance the biggest issue?

Several catches- he acts as if he has a cactus up his backside. He also likes hitting on women (16 charisma), and taunting people who he think deserve it. Because his charisma is so high, he thinks he's gods gift to the world- you know what i mean.

He is a good noble paladin, but he has a very fiery edge, unlike many others. He prefers the usage of force as the resolution of solving threats...

In perspective, wouldn't you consider this unique?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Ogt
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is also the only paladin with marks in his butt coming from being repetedly stabbed with daggers , thats right he might be charismatic, but he has a naughty butt, looks pretty much like freddy kruger's face LOL
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loooooooooooool ogt, well west, i gotta say, throw in a new element and i'll give you some credit for a non stupid arrogant paladin

can you guess what it is?

icon_mrgreen.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif

be a player, be a......

insane crazy dancing fool who makes people wanna disco icon_twisted.gif

j/k

try being something not many paladins know how to do, be noble.
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon316 wrote:
people always are complaining, why not just make a char with 13 on all stats, thats balanced and you got all sorts of skills, good looking, intelligent, wise, strong, agile ect....

and take persuade and taunt if possible, and listen and spot, so you can call yourself a real rper

Shorthand: "Bard"
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentos and West RP is good, don't get me wrong about that. And the more I look at it, the less I see people with good RP as 'cookie cutters.' The thing that bothers me is how EVERYONE uses a tower shield... EVERYONE wears full plate, EVERYONE takes magic and air domain, EVERYONE uses a bastard sword/scythe... that's what gets me. It's just you think people would have a bit more variety? As for you two, keep up the good work. Good RP makes up for it, but as for the hack-and-slash idiots, ugh... try some RP!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: