DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

*shouts*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
klept
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8
 50%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: *shouts* Reply with quote

this has probably been adressed over and over, but i just really needed to get this out.

this morning -- i usually prefer to log on in the morning cause the servers aren't as full/laggy -- i was playing as usual and i found some items i had no use for and thought of selling/giving away to someone who could use them. that's what 'the makers' wanted when lowering the sale prices on all items right? promote player trading?

i was in eleriina square and there was no one around, so i thought i'd make an advert using a small shout.

for some reason though, the shout didn't go through and i wondered if there was something wrong so i just typed a period '.' and hit enter.

it appeared on the screen. 'ok good, it's working'

as soon as i did that some other person started telling me to stop shouting, and what was the point of shouting that and generally being abusive and what's worse, condescending.

i can tolerate verbal abuse, all you have to do is ignore it, what really pisses me off is this kind of attitude.

i've been playing on dyso not for a very long time and i've already met, on occasion, a bunch of cool, nice and easy-going people, and it's always a lot of fun to play with them.

but i've got to say this, the vast majority of the players seem to be whiny people who complain about everything and seem to have no sense of humour.

the worst kind are the 'vigilante' type. the kind that are so afraid to get in trouble or that want to get on the good side of the dm's and so they feel it's their duty to inforce the rules on everyone else.

rules are good, but sometimes it's nice to be flexible and not to take things by the book [BEWARE OF THE LITERAL PEOPLE!!]

and the condescending attitude they put on is just moronic. example? i tried really hard to be polite to this person and tried to explain my point [i only shouted a dot for the love of god! ;] and when s/he kept going at it, i simply said 'you have an attitude problem' -- to which the reply was something along the line of 'oh i'm only like this to keep you in line'... at that point, i wasn't sure if i should laugh or start ripping out my hair ;]

i also mentioned that i had seen other players making sale adverts online and i got a patronizing 'just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's alright' reply.

after that i sat there for a minute or two and wondered if i wanted to try to sell the goods i wanted to sell, or just drop them for the badgers or what. i suddenly didn't feel like playing the game anymore, so i logged off.

people like this, 'eula thumping zealots', ruin the game for everyone else.
games are supposed to be fun. and 'anal retentive' people suck the fun out of everything.

well, that's my little rant. i feel much better now ;]
View users profile Send private message
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally back you up on this. When I occasionally make a shout or two, people IMMEDIATELY message me and tell me to stop shouting. I tell them to blow me because I didn't break any rules. Don't like it? Turn off the shouts-- its totally available to everyone.

People that are 'eula thumping zealots' as you say need to spend more of their time playing the game and less time looking for trouble.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe the moronic idiots that tells a person to stop shouting, by using a shout! That's asking for trouble.

Quote:

When I occasionally make a shout or two, people IMMEDIATELY message me and tell me to stop shouting. I tell them to blow me because I didn't break any rules. Don't like it? Turn off the shouts-- its totally available to everyone.

Shouting is prohibited. "Occassionally make a shout or two"? Oh dear.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marine436
PostFri 03/28/03 6:10am
Wrong *ahem*

SHouting, To make a Announcment, Is fine, and is Roelplayed, as messengers (cmmoners on horse's) Doing it !

Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plerk. I thought shouting sales/buys were forbidden now that we have the bulletin board thingie. icon_wink.gif
Marine436
PostFri 03/28/03 6:16am
Im not talking about that, Im speaking of, jsut annouencing things for RP, or others sake  Reply with quote

Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very rare occassions when you can make a shout and it's at the same time RP. And ultimately, it's the mods that have the final word about what's ok and what's not in game.
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fifth time, just turn sout off damnit, and im not talking to you players, im talking to to Bri, turn it off from the seerver and be done with it

Then only DMs can shout and no one else, all good
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
PostFri 03/28/03 7:02am
Vood be nice yeah. But until then, follow the rules. Trotsåldern asså.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALright, I DON'T agree with you. When you shout, you can expect to get a tell or two asking you to stop it, because it is just against the rules and irritating. If it had any meaning, it might've been okay(a sale for instance...). But why did you shout a dot????

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
PostFri 03/28/03 8:39am
I disapprove of ALL shout trading announcements.  Reply with quote

klept
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8
 50%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, as i said above, the reason i shouted a '.' was because the shout i typed [telling ppl what items i had and where to find me if they were interested] didn't go through. my immediate reaction was to type just a dot and hit enter to see if it was working.

maybe not very clever, but why did that person get all worked up about it?
it's not like i abused the shout feature and because there were maybe 4~5 people on the server at the time, i doubt it was very disruptive.

*siiiigh*
people just like to complain i guess. 1 shout or 2 doesn't bother me at all. i think it's cool actually. you can shout something if you're alone and someone might engage in conversation with you. several people at once even. is that a bad thing? if people were more participative it could be a good thing. even for roleplay.

hah, you know what kinda annoys me? if i need to ask a question and use a shout to do it, then several people send me tells to ellucidate me and it's just too many tells for me to handle and i end up sending the wrong messages to different people! then i look like a fool! :D
a shout is much more useful imo. that way you know someone already answered that person. but i suppose people use tells in that circumstance cause everyone is so weary about using shouts? which is exactly my point, if people were more laid-back, shouts wouldn't constitute a problem.

oh yeah, that other player mentioned something about a towncrier? that i should find a towncrier to make announcements. i asked where i could find that, got no response, instead i got more patronizing drivel. 'very helpful, thanks for nothing...' =P

hmm, so is there a sales bulletin board somewhere? in game or offline? i really don't know. maybe i'm not looking where i should lol
-- i suppose i could use that.

in game bulletin boards would be very cool. very muddish :]
one of my chars is a bard, i could post some songs about great dysotopian deeds i had witnessed there *winks*

not sure if it could be accomplished in this game? O_o
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klept my man, i dont know if we have met in game but i already like you

send me a tell will you, would be cool to party up with someone with common sense

CHEERS TO KLEPT

on a side note we need some BEER wine, scotch, martini, and emotions like that thinkey.gif
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouting for announcing trades is prohibited. Shouting to answer a question is prohibited. Shouting in general have strict limitations (Moderator decides if it's an OK shout).
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons for shouts would be:
*You're stuck and can't get in touch with a moderator or dm through the use of the DM channel. One shout queston, no shout replies, everyone sees your portrait in the chat window and can click on it to reply with a tell instead.
*Player events that are ok'ed by a moderator or dm. Best way to go about it would be to let the dm or moderator make the announcement so you're not bothered by people who are bothered. Makes it official so to speak.

Reasons that are not allowed for shouts:
*Marketing stuff, you use the market place for that or the bulletin board or you spread the word as others do. if you'd be alowed to do it then others are too and since players find new items about every 2-10 minutes it would be really bothersome to say the least.
*Asking for help in defeating some monster or announcing a dm event is going on someplace. Keep it in character, run off for help and return with allies.
*Asking for a raise dead spell when you've died.
*Cursing some other player about killing you or robbing you. Take it up with a moderator or DM. That's what they're there for. Don't swear, don't yell. Once more,keep it in character.
*Replying to a shout with a shout to tell them to shut up. Send a tell if you feel the need to do so but only if you're absolutely sure there's no moderator or DM online. That's what we're there for, you know, to keep things in character. We'll warn them if we feel the need arises.
*Finding out if your friends are online. You have this button which shows the player list. Find your friends, send a tell asking for an invite and blab all you wish in party chat.

You all agreed to the EULA so you can expect to get people pissed off when you use shouts for reasons other than stipulated above. That being said dont always reply to shouts since the best way to shut people up is usually by not responding.
dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, there's one thing I don't understand: Why aren't shouts disabled? One of the last patches introduced this feature according to the readme, it would put an end on player shouts, only DMs can shout then. There's no necessarity to shout for RP reasons at all, it's just useful if you are to lazy to RP the preparing part of your "event", and only want to jump right into the action.
(Name me one valid RP reason to shout that could not made without it:
Messengers? Why don't you use messengers? Your char can run, others can too, they can spread the word icon_lol.gif )
Froja
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 21 / 22 EXP: 21 / 22 EXP: 21 / 22
 95%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with dreamin' .

Yesterday Nel shouted "I raise everyone, I am a cleric , why do the Dysotopians kill me , bla bla " . Why the hell do we need to hear this ? Just close the shouts to public , it would add a good RP manner .
help me you make me perfect, help me become somebody else
i want to fuck you like an animal
i want to feel you from the inside
i want to fuck you like an animal
my whole existence is flawed
you get me closer to god
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt know there was a function like that in a patch. Is it something you set in the toolset or in game as DM? I'd love to have shouts completely taken out. Hell I'd have party chat taken out as well if it wasn't so damn funny hearing you all talk as DM. icon_biggrin.gif
dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never say anything funny for dms to hear in party, I use tells to plot against you!

Hm, did some search and found it again:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=190766&forum=45

"dont think it was listed in the patch notes, but adding
Disallow Shouting=1 to serveroptions in nwnplayer.ini works great"

This setting will allow only DMs to shout icon_biggrin.gif

Btw. for some reason the above link made the bioware page appear in italian for me weirdlook.gif
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: COOL Reply with quote

Please get rid of shouts immediately! That would be so cool.

I can't tell you how distracting it is to get a bunch of shouts right in the middle of a serious roleplay exchange. You have to scroll up to see what the other person said and then try to respond in a timely manner to keep up the pace...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Shouts gone for all but DMs/Mods would be great. If a character has some really good IC thing that would be ok for shouts, he has to go through the mod/dm first. Wonderful. Not sure why this would not be made real.
Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we beg you... take the shouts off !

They just don't fit in... icon_cry.gif
Marquis Drayfox
PostFri 03/28/03 8:19pm
Hmm.... doesn't it say in the EULA that shouts are okay as long as they are kept to a minimum? I believe it does unless they changed it.....  Reply with quote

Gullener
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 9 / 9 EXP: 9 / 9 EXP: 9 / 9
 100%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it if shouts would be taken out. I shouted a few (emberassing) phrases the other day. (I tried to make a template sentence and it came out as a shout, not only that my 'talk' was also changed into 'shout', only noticed it when I saw 10 tells in the chat window icon_wink.gif most of them friendly though icon_wink.gif )
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what! No more shouts possible in Dyso!

Quote:
Thank you for your cooperation (perfect unity)
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets take away the talk option too, some people say some stupid things in talk. and it would eliminate people from saying offensive things, and also if someone wants to talk they have to send a tell to a mod/dm if they are even on.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
PostFri 03/28/03 9:24pm
Yay!!!! Seriously??? YAYYAYAYAYYAYA!!!!! Although this does limit trading.... ah well..wasn't really IC to shout about trades anyway.  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhmm... how about no?

Geshtal wrote:
Let me put this simply....

Shouts should only contain information that affects ALL players on the server. Basically...if you are on the server and someone says something and you don't know what they are talking about...it was probably uncalled for...such as an experience I had last night...

<player> "I'm saving you"
<me> tell: "I don't need saving, I'm in town"

or:

<player> "hold"
<me> tell: "hold what?"

This type of chatter doesn't concern every player in the server and therefore should stay between the parties involved. Tings that should be seen in shouts:

"I have some adamantine here, anyone wanna buy it?"
(the response should be in a private message as it is not between buyer and seller)
"There is a dragon loose in the valley, everyone come and help out if you can!!!"
"Looking to buy 10 mithril ingots, anyone have some for sale?"
"Looking for party to quest for the ogre master!!"

These are things that involve all parties involved. If you arent buying or shopping these can be ignored easily enough but you still understand the full contents of the shout...

My point is that no one should ever wonder what someone is shouting about...it is for announcements and other things that affect ALL PLAYERS on the server! It IS NOT shouting to your party or to someone you're talking to in a store!!!

Gesh

[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Kindo
PostFri 03/28/03 10:22pm
OK first, Gesh is not affiliated with Dyso anymore. Bri is the man. Secondly, that one is very very old.  Reply with quote

Uin
PostFri 03/28/03 10:24pm
How old is that quote?
Things change and Gesh is not working on this version of Dyso anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: