DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Soulseekers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Soulseekers Reply with quote

Can we PLEASE do away with those stupid Soulseekers?

Let's see, how did my gaming experience go today? I log in, buy a few potions and portal to Krave Estates. There is a Soulseeker there. It attacks me as soon as I appear, so my character autamticly fights back. But wait, guess what there are two there. The other one comes up behind me before I even know what it going on and kills me in one hit. My response? I log out. Not becuase I am dead, but because this is utter bull crap!

Why don't we have a DM event to find out where these things are coming from so we can go there and exterminate them, or at least seal their portal or something

What is the point of them anyway? To disourage portal use? If so can't we have something just a tad bit less deadly?
View users profile Send private message
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, down with the soulseekers.
They have slay on their melee atk, and stand directly on the riftgates. VERY poorly implemented.
A death which is completely out of the users hands is always wrong.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
Ahhh, someone finally came across a lost creature that popped out of a rift gate! That's cool! I forgot I even put them in there!

Anyway, if you knew the mechanics of how the planar streams and planar rifts worked you would realize that many things that seep into the planar stream through a rift don't always make it back out. Every once in a rare while a creature floating around in the planar streams gets close enough to a rift entrance and "pop"s out into wherever it was. Many strange and odd creatures have been know to appear from rift gates...even lost badgers!!!

Anyway, these soul seekers that you came across are level 10ish and shouldn't be too bad for the average character to take out. They are gonna be tough fr most of us on the test server since we are lower levels.

Geshtal wrote:
the Fort save will be lowered greatly...to a DC12-16

They ARE powerful creatures so expect to get killed! Ahh, the disadvantages of using the powerful riftgate system...but does it outweigh the advantages of rapid transport?

Been discussed before, and it's SUPPOSED to be like this.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
PostMon 03/31/03 5:00pm
Doesn't matter, its bull. If you are instantly dead (in my experience even before the area fades in) then its balls.

Last edited by Uin on Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total

Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quoting a quote within a quote. But Geshtals quote says that "every once in a rare while"

... they seem to be showing up quite more frequently than rarely. Hell two in on place is downright uncommon if not common!!!
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:

Been discussed before, and it's SUPPOSED to be like this.

Just because it is SUPPOSED to be that way doesn't make it any less utter bull crap. There are plenty of things that are SUPPOSED to be a certain way in a game and they are removed nonetheless to better balance things, or because leaving them in simply detracts too much from having fun. Which is what a game is supposed to be about.

edited----

I agree totaly with having a down side to rapid transport. Hell everytime you get into a car in real life you are taking a chance that you are gonna end up dead. But I still think we can tone it down a little. Make the Soulseekers truly RARE, and instead have some drow scouts or something a little more reasonable show up more commonly. Hell the way the system is now you might as well roll a d20 and find out if you died during transport or something. When one let alone TWO Soulseekers attack and kill you before you even appear, you have just about as much chance of surviving!

Last edited by Aronthal on Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem, that's why we had TESTING, if they haven't changed it, than it's good. We tested it for a couple of months and it was good then. If you can't handle them, let the guards handle them. Runaway and lure them with you. ANd if you hadn't noticed, the spawn chance is a .01% per minute. If a lot of people keep coming in, and the server is up for a while, and noone does anything about those beasts, they can be there with two or three at a time.
And they are there because of the rift gate system, you'd expect some downside to such a brilliant system.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
PostMon 03/31/03 5:18pm
No shadow, they are not good, I complained in testing that they were crap and nothing was done. They need taken out sharpish.  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostMon 03/31/03 5:20pm
I think the Soulseekers are incredibly cool. Losers complaining.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disagree, if everyone did their duty and just killed them when they saw them instead of running away, that wouldn't be necessary with such a low spawn rate.

Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Ahem, that's why we had TESTING, if they haven't changed it, than it's good.

Ohh ok I see the wisdom in that. So by that logic, because Bioware tested NWN for a few months means they released a perfect game with no issues. Makes sense to me. icon_evil.gif
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chance of spawn needs to be Lowered, to 0.1 % every time some one comes threw the portal (on room enntry ?) But, if done so, they, need to become more powerful
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
I think the Soulseekers are incredibly cool. Losers complaining.

Gawd, this is the problem with the forums all over, when you can't think of a good reasonable arguement, use insults.
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
I think the Soulseekers are incredibly cool. Losers complaining.

Well at least we can count on people being open minded in this community. Its good to see that we can feel free to express our opinions without people resorting to name calling. Or maybe it is just because you can't think of anything more intelligent to say? icon_eek.gif
dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Shadowcore hits the nail on the head. The seekers are very easy to any mid-level char, but the problem is, noone cares. It takes me 5 seconds to kill them on lvl 12, so I just kill them when I see them. And they don't spawn again for a while. But most of the time, the higher levels just run by, and the next low level char dies...
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamin' wrote:
I think Shadowcore hits the nail on the head. The seekers are very easy to any mid-level char, but the problem is, noone cares. It takes me 5 seconds to kill them on lvl 12, so I just kill them when I see them. And they don't spawn again for a while. But most of the time, the higher levels just run by, and the next low level char dies...

Good point. But that doesn't make it any less broken. If the way the system is being used in "real life" differs from the way you expected it to be during the design stages; it is still broken.
dreamin'
PostMon 03/31/03 5:28pm
No, the system is not broken in itself, the people break it. So, why not change the behaviour of the people?  Reply with quote

Uin
PostMon 03/31/03 5:29pm
Cos ppl never change.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with BioScare is that they are bad..they can't make a game that is not buggy. They took over an Interplay game philosophy:milking is good(meaning, get everything you can from nothing but a name).

But HERE it is very different, because it was tested by people who PLAY here and KNOW what it should be like. And in Uin's case, apparently, you were the only one complaining after Gesh explained it, and one complaint doesn't warrant a change.
If everybody would just kill them when they saw them, there wouldn't be a problem. And as I said, try running away to guards...

Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is death w/o a chance for survival is UNFAIR. I refuse to play games that are unfair, not hard. Try running to guards if its instant death on entry.

Last edited by Uin on Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamin' wrote:
No, the system is not broken in itself, the people break it. So, why not change the behaviour of the people?

Because:

1) Not everyone reads these forums. So getting the word out that it is their duty to kill the soulseekers via forums will not work

2) The death penalty strongly encourages running, even if you are level 20, so that you don't risk death for a battle that you don't feel you should have to fight. A little page from software design 101: Two design elements may have individual merits, but when used in synergy they result in an unintended negative effect.

3) The sytem is created for the users. If the users are not using something the way you intended it, then it is broken.
Uin
PostMon 03/31/03 5:36pm
Point 3 is totaly wrong, but its still broken.  Reply with quote

Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
And as I said, try running away to guards...

Well even if this were the best sollution, you don't alwayshave the chance of running away unless the server is lagging. I was attacked by two before the screen even faded in, and I was dead before I even knew what was attacking me.
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea... Since the level restrictions have been lifted from the gates it is far more convenient for lower level characters to travel. This is their only worry. So if you take a rift gate know that you're taking a big chance. Just don't use them until you are 8th level or so. Then you'll be able to survive these stupid things. What are you travelling to Kravenwood when you're low level anyhow? If the soulseeker kills you then so will a troll, skeleton, or devourer. I don't mind them, I've found them to be rather harmless, I havent' been killed by one yet, and I've killed a good dozen or so. This is a more liberal form of rift gate level restrictions is how I see it. Yuo can go, but you're taking a calculated chance.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed a problem, but we should all be able to live with it. Face it, the beasties aren't that hard at all, and if you don't like them, LIVE WITH IT!!! How hard can it be to go to BF and travel two areas to get to Kravenwood instead? Ofcourse, there will be soulseekers there as well, but then again, you can just walk from somewhere. Granted, it takes more time, but the soulseekers entire point was to make people appreciate the portals, and stop using them as if they were normal as hell. Now that everybody is scared of the soulseekers, perhaps you will learn to respect the privilege of using a portal. Nothing comes without a risk, and I do think that this is an appropriate risk.

Oh, and there is another positive thing, people are afraid of dying now, as you stated...
And a lvl 20 has almost nothing to fear from those beasties anyway...

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong, hehe if you get hit by a Soul Seaker, nei, their are 4 Death Saves mage vs a DC 28

you got low chances to live, so the better idea, is to take the gate invisble
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ppl are understanding that death w/o a chance or survival is utter crap. They spawn directly on top of the gates, and can attack you before your screen fades in. Its wrong. They either need weakened or made so that they appear once in a million years so you can be "the only person in dyso thats see a seeker". Infact why do no GOOD creature come out of the gates?
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
Point 3 is totaly wrong, but its still broken.

I have been a software architect for many many years. The number one reason that software projects fail is because the product does not deliver on the customers expectations.

I have made many many "cool" features that the customers did not like or did not use the way I intended it, and any time that happens, no matter how strongly I stand behind something, i proclaim the feature broken and I fix it. And because of that mentality I have never worked on a failing software project.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Dyso is going to fail because of soulseekers. And I recognize that Dyso is different than a commercial software project. But point 3 is most deffinitely not wrong. icon_lol.gif
Uin
PostMon 03/31/03 5:47pm
But point 3 and what you said there are totally different things. icon_confused.gif  Reply with quote

Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine436 - Nel wrote:
Wrong, hehe if you get hit by a Soul Seaker, nei, their are 4 Death Saves mage vs a DC 28

you got low chances to live, so the better idea, is to take the gate invisble

Exactly. My character is level 11 and is no wimp. The one I was fighting head on was nearly dead already, before the screen even faded in. However the one that walked up behind me killed me in one hit. Anyway, keep em if you want, I don't care, like Nel said I will just use the gates while invisible from now on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: