DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Historian's Guild

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Historian's Guild Reply with quote

I am seeking interested individuals to help me in forming a Historian's Guild.

The Historians (tentative name only) would take on the responsibility of --

1. Recording the significant events of Dysotopia through time, and writing the stories of these events.

2. Taking visual records (screenshots) of significant, interesting, or unique events in Dysotopia.

In-game, we would represent a group of fellows known as Historians, or Chroniclers, or something along those lines, and we would be an organization which conducts its affairs quietly and from the sidelines, yet always seems to have a presence at the major moments of Dysotopian history.

Though we may each have alliances in other guilds, and other goals in life, we have each chosen to take on the role of being a Historian, and in so doing, we do not bring our other affairs into the circle of the Historians. Conflicts arising between alliances amongst Historians are put aside when the Historians convene meetings. And though the Historians may become a target of abuse by other organizations, they shall never respond to such threats personally (as an organization). They may document the abuse historically, they may obtain the assistance of other guilds in defense of their philanthropic works, but they will not attack as an organization, for that is not their purpose. Their purpose is merely to provide a record of the world, to provide an extended memory for the world's participants.

OOC, this would really be a team of folks who will work together to create and maintain the "historical record" portion of the dysotopia.com website. I want to create a 'Chronicles' type of area on the website, with a timeline of the major events as they transpire in Dysotopia, and with "zoomed in" details on each segment of the timeline detailing some of the lesser important but noteworthy events in the time period. Corresponding screenshots would be attached to events for which we have good screenshots.

Anybody interested please reply! Also, I would like to ask anybody who has screenshots of memorable occassions in the history of Dysotopia (especially the early days), or wants to write some history for the early days, to reply or PM me with your contributions. I've only been around personally for a few months, so contributions from pre-servervault days would be particularly valuable. The timeline will have markings of in-game events as well as OOC events (like "Dysotopia goes server vault"), so anything anybody wants to contribute is great. Contributions (especially screenshots) will always be accepted from any player, not just Historians.

The number of Historians will probably be restricted to a smallish number, to keep the number of contributions and the task of organizing the incoming information maintainable. So if you are interested, please consider it a serious task. You will be expected to put your other affairs and allegiances aside while doing Historical work, there will be much work to do, and you will receive little for your efforts. But some will feel it is their duty to provide this service for Dysotopia and its residents.

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds real interesting. History builds a foundation and makes the world more real. All for it. Maybe i can make a musty old gnome for this, a bard who wanders the lands searching for stories to add to his repetoire.
He'll have lousy phyical scores but very high intelligence and always muttering to himself when passing by about this or that historical fact.
"I remember once when I was in Sylvandale it became a warzone between the league of shadows and the order of the Shining blade. Hah, they sure got their asses whooped! Ah yea and then there was that time when Glorin's mom..."
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red the only one that can say that......

cool idea! it might be annoying for gesh tho to make books with all the storys in them. it wuld give bards something to do.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Historians can probably create (submit) history books to Gesh later once a library of historical data gets put together. But the first task will be to get a documented timeline up on dyso.com; books will come later. A library maintained by the Historians might be a good idea sometime in the future.

Of course, bards with some actual historical information to draw on would be damn cool icon_smile.gif

Fooz
Zedium
PostThu 10/03/02 7:43pm
even though I haven't been aroudn from the begining but as a ranger I have some understanding of the lore of the land and I would be glad to join in.  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostThu 10/03/02 8:47pm
Wow cool. Lot of writing involved?

I have the perfect character anyway. Count me in on a 'try.basis' atleast...

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose since I created all the history of Dyso I could get involved. icon_biggrin.gif

Books would be cake actually...other people could write them and title them and I could just cut and past the data into the MOD and place the books in the libraries. icon_wink.gif

I can also clear up any inaccuracies that may come about with players trying to remember exact timelines...I actually until recently had a historical reference of all the old MODs.

How many of you can remember the gold dragon?

Now, how many of you can remember what was there before the gold dragon? icon_wink.gif

I don't know of anyone that has been here that long other than myself and Bri...glith even came on board after that...

Anyone remember Divine Meeting? Or when people used to call us the "Free XP/Gold/Items" server and other servers known as the traingin grounds copied off of our design and named their servers that? Do people realize that we created the possibilities for the afterlife? How many of you even know that there are over 10 areas in Hell to explore in Dysotopia? LOL...I just realized that no one knows all this stuff!!!!!!!!!

We need to implement a school! j/k...but the history stuff would totally ROCK so that people could hear about all the cool things we have innovated and brought to the NWN community. I'm sure now that people know PP can be detected and prevented they will be coming up with their own ways of handling it...but we were first! icon_wink.gif First to have rift gates, first to give away free goods, first to prevent illegal items and hackers from getting in our servers (anyone been to Sylvandale Prison lately?) first and probably still the only server that has PLAYER CHARACTER admins with near DM abilities. icon_wink.gif I hate to say it but WE WERE FIRST!!!! emot-yum.gif emot-yum.gif emot-yum.gif emot-yum.gif emot-yum.gif icon_mrgreen.gif

Now that I'm done bragging and giving people stuff to think about...(see you don't know that much about dyso do you!?) I'll put my ego away and end this post. icon_smile.gif

Gesh
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo wrote:
Wow cool. Lot of writing involved?

I have the perfect character anyway. Count me in on a 'try.basis' atleast...

Sounds good.

I think there will probably be Historians who focus on the writing portions, because they're good at storytelling/writing and enjoy it, and then there will be Historians who essentially are the "photographers", providing well-positioned and well-timed still shots of moments in Dysotopian history which will bring back memories for those who were in attendance.. both will be essential to the effort.

Fooz
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was here with the gold dragon, he went hostile on me when i killed every single kravenwood guard. icon_smile.gif i was also the trash collector becuz of all those idiots who put their items on the ground! i was here for the first BoL and the first EoPR! and of course the second person to discover the hidden entrance to the sun mountains, and the first on the win32 server! i was here when TP had her gold armor and loki was a paladin with a scythe! i was also here when batman ruled the universe but thats another story!

ANYWHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think the historians books should rhyme and be like a song and itd be funnnnnyy!#!
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
I suppose since I created all the history of Dyso I could get involved. icon_biggrin.gif

(snip)

Now that I'm done bragging and giving people stuff to think about...(see you don't know that much about dyso do you!?) I'll put my ego away and end this post. icon_smile.gif

All that sounds great, I look forward to hearing all about the details of the early days once this gets off the ground. If you have any details you'd like to write up before you head off for your break, please do, as that will give me some good starting material for the web-based timeline. Early screenshots would also be very very valuable icon_smile.gif

Fooz
Glorin
PostThu 10/03/02 9:33pm
when i take screenshots i cant find them, why is this? someone please help me.......ill start another thread.  Reply with quote

BriHurley
The Lord of Kravenwood Estates

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41
 34%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorin wrote:
when i take screenshots i cant find them, why is this? someone please help me.......ill start another thread.

Is that a threat???? icon_twisted.gif

bow.gif bow.gif pimp.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
PostThu 10/03/02 10:42pm
lol yea......  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Gold Dragon, if I'm right:

"I am Immortal, but even I cannot give you the knowledge of a God."

Or something to that effect. And Dyso was the Free XP Gold and Items server, because that was the server's name. I remember when the plot item jail rules were first imposed. When I finally made it out after dumping my inventory I had no idea where to go. I ended up in the forest and then in the emerald cave and then BF. Not exactly the easy route.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
PostFri 10/04/02 12:02am
i miss my colorful crazy dude......  Reply with quote

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, I remember when I first joined, I had to dump out several items icon_smile.gif

hmm, the prison guard still has hisdiologue, gesh, maybe you should let him respond to older dyso items, so noone can have imprenatable stuff
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell times isnt that far in the past, it was in vault time, i liked killing the fallen angel, but there was only one area after that right?

first time i came to this mod there was a sign where the dragon was supposed to be...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funniest thing when the server was stil local was when Chicken came round time and again pooping edited weapons all over the mod making everyone superpowerfull. icon_biggrin.gif
Actually i think that was the main reason why Dyso went server vault.
View users profile Send private message
African Ape
PostFri 10/18/02 8:30pm
When was Dyso created?  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, rocking idea, that Jase brought back to my memory.
Although I cannot start it (very busy, moderator + City Watch), Kathryn Tyril, will definitely be a member.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jase
PostFri 12/20/02 1:36am
The Historian Guild would be GREAT! We should defidentily get it up and running! If we do I'll join!  Reply with quote

Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have time to lead the Historian's Guild at the present moment, but if somebody else would like to take the reigns feel free to.

In the meantime, if you want to help contribute to the Dysotopia historical archives, go right ahead! Write up histories (both IC and OOC events), personal essays/reflections on the state of the world, screenshots, etc. etc. If you send this stuff to me, I will get it up on dysotopia.com in some form so everybody can access it.

Fooz infinity.gif

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could i would really like to be the leader of the Historian Guild! I'm already writing a series of books on the history of monsters in Dysotopia. I'll PM u Uin.
Foozbane
PostFri 12/20/02 3:03am
I'll gladly join as well. At this time I am working on a map of the major land areas of Dysotopia. Will be up soon!

Fooz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> General Guild Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: