DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Up-to-date hardware vs. old games

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Up-to-date hardware vs. old games Reply with quote

Hello. I have encountered this problem a few times before, and now I recon it's time to ask for help.

You see, I have a GeForce3 64 mB video card with the latest DirectX 9.0a drivers. (Or summat.) And I have just started playing Thief: The Dark Project, again. When that game was released, the latest driver was DirectX 6.0 and I think the most "hip" vid. card was Voodoo 2. Anyway, the game doesn't recognize my up-to-date drivers. They are too new. So my nice little PC doesn't think I have any 3d card. Which results in....exactly, software graphics! cool.gif

Anyhow, I guess my question is if there is some way I can play Thief: TDP with 3D graphics, even if I have a "newer" video card than Voodoo2 and a more current DirectX driver than 6.0.

Also, with the latest patch for the same game, one of the updates said "Now added support for EAX...". Well, guess what...I can't turn the EAX nor the hardware soundmode on! So I am stuck with a Thief: TDP in software graphics and crappy sound(!) only because my hardware is too "new". Is there any way around one or both of these problems?

Thanks on beforehand.

EDIT: PS. Not related to hardware issues, but Thief TDP noentheless. The CD doesn't read the in-game movies when it's supposed to. It just skips them. A bit anonying, because I have to minimize game and play the movies manually from the CD.

Last edited by Kindo on Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ways that you could do that.

1. Go directly to the company's website and see if they have a patch that will allow this. (It should be a SPECIFIC patch, although sometimes they include it in the main patches of the game. If you can't find it, email them.
2. (If you have Windows XP) try running the program compatability wizard.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Program Compatability Wizard *click* and go from there.

I had this problem with Baldur's Gate I and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. BG didn't like how I used DDR Ram, and didn't reckognize it and said I had no RAM to play it, and C&C RA didn't work because it hates Windows XP. Both of these were fixed by one of those reasons.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Alright, they didn't have a specific patch for it. Guess I'll e-mail them instead.

2. I can't find prgram Compatability Wizard. I don't think I have it on my system
Glorin
PostSat 04/12/03 3:49pm
It must be due to the Fact that you are Swedish, only reason i can come up with  Reply with quote

dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I don't know if there are non-glide versions of Thief-TDP, but I know for sure that my version came bundled with a voodoo card and therefore would only offer glide support, meaning no hardware 3d for any other video card. If you have the same version, then no compatibility wizard can help you icon_neutral.gif
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I have heard, Kindo, it is probably due to the fact that they restarted numbering Directx from number 8.0a and on. Therefore, it doesn't recognize 8.0 as a decnt version and probably won't run very well. A friend of mine had that problem a couple of times, becomes the version numbering makes it seem as if it is a way earlier version of directx to older games. What you could do is try to reinstall Directx 8 and see what happens then..

Oh, and do you have the newest audio drivers??

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! Thanks to ShadowCore I've got the latest drivers for my soundcard, and that solved the EAX/Hardware sound problem (The sound is awesome now!), aswell as the movies not playing (strange, didn't think that had to do with the soundcard). icon_smile.gif

Still haven't fixed the DirectX issue. I know what I would need to do, but I have decided to screw it. It's only for this game anyway, no use downgrading your vid. card. Besides, I'm on like the final mission already. I've gotten used to the graphics, and soon I will continue with Thief 2, and I know it works there.

God I love this game! It's so great! Thanks for the help. kiss.gif
Shadowleaf
PostMon 04/14/03 10:06pm
i think dreamin' is right. if the game uses glide then u cant play it on a non-voodoo card.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: