DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Rant 'bout NWN res/interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Rant 'bout NWN res/interface Reply with quote

I am so annoyed at this. The resolution in NWN.

Look you normally have 800x600 and I mean, it's ok. But I like to have a bit more overview when I'm playing games. So I praise my wonderful computer for having such a nice vid. card when I find out that you can change the resolution. I take it all the way to the top. Man I can take it, I will go at 1600x1200! Having great expectations, I go: "Man, this is gonna be wonderful!"
Guess again! Just look at the amazingly stupid interface!
Well crap my balls! icon_mad.gif

Look and compare:
800x600
1600x1200

icon_cry.gif

(PS: What is that Hz about? At my desktop I run 1600x1200 with 60hz or whatever it is. And at NWN I get to choose between 60-85. What does it do?)
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hz is the number of pictures it displays per seccond
lol 60hz looks like crap, modify it and get the most you can

the more the better it looks
View users profile Send private message
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate. I was able to get it to 75hz. It said that if I "tried any higher the screen would not show correctly and my hardware would get damaged".

You didn't have to sound so mean though. You know I love you. emot-heartbeat.gif
Ogt
Elder

XP
 33%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats crap, try the highest always, lol your monitor wont break

lol i ddint mean to sound mean, fact is thats the way i normaly speak icon_biggrin.gif

not so often in game though since im oggy icon_razz.gif
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindo, you're probably actually better off leaving it a tad lower. Say 1024x768 or at 800x600. It's looks a lot cleaner at the higher resolution, but dispite that, it will lead to monitor troubles down the road. You probably shouldn't bump it up that high, especially for playing games, because a.) your FPS will start to degrade with more "action" taking place. b.) this causes a lot of stress on your monitor. I couldn't even begin to count how many monitors a year we (my company) goes through because our blasted CAD engineers like having super sexy resolution settings (heh, and on 19 to 21 inch monitors.) And our engineering video cards/monitors are not cheapy things you pick up at Best Buy. We're talking top of the line monitors and 128 to 256MB graphics cards designed for complex graphics (3D Studio MAX/Pro Engineer recommended!) I even went through a monitor at work using 1600x1200 @ 80Hz. Slowly, the "pin" started coming in, then the lower left hand corner began to get fuzzy. My "START" started looking like "SLAPL". And this was on a 19inch ViewSonic using a GeForce 3 w/ 64MB.
Just a word of caution.. might be best to wait to go up that high until plasma monitors can take the refresh rates needed for smooth computer game play.
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way-

If you run a monitor at full sprint all the time, it, like everything else, is bound to get tired. The minimum hertz (number of refreshes a second) should be at least 75 to avoid your eye damage.

Im running 1600 x 1200 at 85 hertz, but I'm really running my monitor to the limit for experimental purposes, and am using a GeForce4 ti 4600.

If your monitor and videocard are up to par, then go ahead and do it. But if you want to be safe, and this is what I would on any other day, probably run at 1024 x 768 at 85 hertz.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Ogt
Elder

XP
 33%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play at 1024X768?

with a nice vid card i dont see the prob of having the hz at 85

i meant try to have high hz not resolution

plus

ARE YOU CONTRADICTING ME MR FUNNY PANTS?????
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1024x768? Urgh...it gets so...small. I want overview! But...if it's unsafe to run at the res I have now...then I guess I have to change it. I really didn't think the monitor could get hurt by having it set to 1600x1200. I mean, it's just a desktop...with icons...and a background. Oh well, 1024x768 85 hz it is then. Urgh...what a downer.

Anyway, anyone else wanna flame about the sucky interface in NWN? The thing that this topic was all about originally? deal.gif
Ng'ree
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14
 85%
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under windows no problem, under Linux be careful as I belive you can actually kill your monitor by messing with the horizontal or vertical refresh rates.
Quote:

thats crap, try the highest always, lol your monitor wont break

Gnobi Chaos Moon Clan
Stupidest Gobo on Dyso
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't screw around TOO much with hardware, high res usually doesn't do much for the game anyway, and you don't need it either. The higher the hz, the more frames per second, but too much kills your monitor(as Gorb pointed out). As always, I hate Bioware for making NWN require that high stuff, I actually hate any company for doing that, since they could also just leave the lens-flare on lens-flare on lens-flare on lens-flare and dynamic lighting which reflects off of mirrors causing more lighting. If they could just make it older PC compatible, so that you could SELECT it in a menu, I'd love companies. I mean, Hitman 2 for instance, runs perfect, looks quite good, and looks way better than NWN on my pc, doesn't have crashes, and is probably one of the most stable games I ever played. Then take a look at NWN, crashes often, runs like crap, and has NO lower PC compatability. If they could've just put in some kind of compatibility with older PCs to run SMOOTHLY I would've been much and much happier. WHo cares about brilliant graphics if only about 1% of all gamers can set them that high?? The developers should be paying more attention to making a game less intensive instead of MORE intensive.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: