DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

A combination of things is making this unbearable.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Gabriel Lynux
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39
 79%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: A combination of things is making this unbearable. Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but i figured that I'd bring it up anyway. I am never one to whine and moan about Dyso, I love it and have been playing on it for almost a year now and I have no intentions of ever leaving.

But I do have a slight problem with some of the things as of late, Obviously, the MOD has become more difficult and less of an action server, by request of most of the players. I understand that this was done to encourage better and more frequent RP. And I, by no means, would want to go back to the old Dyso, not that I didn't like the old one, but I am begining to think I like this one better.

Except for a few small things....actually a combination of attributes that are making this server a little trying on my patience. This morning, I logged on and decided that since I have been playing alot since the day of the wipe, I was on vacation last week, and I have been lvl 15 with the minimun xp for that lvl for about three weeks now, that I would meander to the crypts and see if there was anyone to rp with while I was bashing some skellies. To my dismay, I found myself all alone down there. I decided to remain down in the crypts and try to gain some exp. I spent two hours down there and managed to gain about 2500 xp, seeing that I get between 28-35 for each skellie. I have no problems with this new exp system and I understand the fact that higher levels should be earned and not east to attain.

After 2 hours I logged off, then, this afternoon I logged back on, I decided to go check out the merchant in Kravenwood to see if he had a certian item I had been wondering about. I get on the rift gate and when I get to the other side, WHAM! I an slammed in the face by a F@#$% soulseeker!
I had the greater belt of guiding light and I am a monk with 38 AC yet I was killed the first time he hit me. Well I was a little peved at the fact that these damn seekers are a huge risk for melee fighters, but I like the fact that they are random, suprising and add flavor to Dyso. Therefore, I could learn to live with a little unfair death every once in a while.

Then I decide to look up to see how much Xp I had lost and I saw that I was no longer in possession of a WHOPPING 2250 xp!!! That was EVERYTHING I had earned in the crypts eailier that day. Two hours of play time down the drain in an instant, a very unfair instant. Now I cannot understand how this is going to promote Rp, because now I have to spend another two hours of precious online time trying to get my stolen xp back, And I'm pretty sure that I won't be Rp'ing while I do it since the crypts and Topaz are filled with people running around killing and not talking, half of them just run by and don't even bother to greet you. Therefore I figure that unfair soulseekers are ultimately responsible for a lack of Rp in this server. At least in this particular instance.

Now, individually, I can deal with the insanely high death xp penalty and I can also deal with the insanely low exp gain on monsters, and I can also deal with the soulseekers, but when you put these three things together, I makes for a really angry Dyso player *points to himself* One of these has got to go. I'm not whining about all of them, but for pete's sake please get rid of one of them. The combination of these things is just plain unfair.
MerchanT
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22
 13%
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you partially - .3x definitely killed most of the RP on Dyso. Ironic really, and I know there's people who will argue the point--but anyone who has already made it past level eight or so is just as big of an "Action" player as me.

Some of the DM events I've seen put together to fill the void have been pretty creative - now we just need 10 times as many as we have now and we'll almost be back to where we were before the upgrade as far as overall "fun" quotient goes.

Adam

/ Meet the Mos'viels! /
* Baleric * Finn * Mordecai *
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take away Soul Seekers. After being smacked across the face and smitten by good-doers, Dyso players and Perfect Unities, I think even the stupidest creature in existance would learn that they aren't getting anything on the other side. But then again, perhaps they would stay. Gabriel did get killed.

How about heighten the xp we gain from killing monsters? No, that would create a bit too much arguement between people about action and roleplaying because people that are good at dodging death would suddenly be super high level. Or did that already happen even with the insanely low experience point gain?

Ok, with those two gone lets lower the XP loss. Wait! A problem occurs here too! P(layer)K(ill)ers are encouraged to P(layer)K(ill) again because of the low loss of Experience. But then again, that hasn't done much because it's just that much more satisifying to down the person in an all out massacre.

Hm ... delima on my decision. But, in the end, I may have to say heighten the xp given by monsters. Sure, this would make isnanely high cahracters possible again, but at the same time it would also allow us to kill Soul Seekers and eliminate that problem, and then be able to defend ourselves because we're all an equal margin of level from (x) amount of power gaming.

icon_smile.gif Just hope that helps in anyone's decision about this post. If not, then sorry for making you waste your time focusing on a radiation giving computer screen to read my trashy post.
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with Merchant and Gab on this one, The Soul Seekers cause alot of problems, none of which are being taken care of. They can also discourage new players who have no idea why they are there, hell i dont think anyone that wasnt in the test server knows why they are there.

One major problem is obviously they can kill you and its a pain, another thing is that they attack the Board Guy, and he is found pissing his pants in a corner some place. It'd be easily fixable to just make the soul seeker a special faction that is non hostile to commoners....but this is not being done tho i did address it to bri.

in conclusion we need
1. more developers (to get little things like that soul seeker faction done, while bri works on tradeskills)
2. a little more dms (for the same reason merchanT mentioned)
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public service announcement .. just so that people don't have to repost if they don't want to.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3390&highlight=

And for the record I don't die from soulseekers any more .. but I still think they are unfair to players that do ...
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I admit that this IS spam, but it's starting to nag me a bit.

Did I start something by saying "For The Record" in the Chatter forum on that topic that West started?
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grusk wrote:
Alright, I admit that this IS spam, but it's starting to nag me a bit.

Did I start something by saying "For The Record" in the Chatter forum on that topic that West started?

Lol .. it's possible. I noticed I was saying it alot .. and I almost deleted it and typed something else this time .. I think I used to say it alot before though .. maybe you just brought it back out of the dusty recesses of my mind icon_smile.gif
Ogt
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate leveling i know i will never make it more than 18 or 17 if i ever get there, hit 15 last week, maybe on thursday, i dont know how much time the new mod has been on but oh well, it just gives me a pain in the head to lvl up

all everyone cares is about exp, heck i cant kill anyone even if i have a damn good reason because they will go whine to a dm/mod, i mean i havent killed anyone and im getting fed up with complaints already,

all this deamn people care about is their precious exp, im this close to go into a random killing rampage, kill leveryone i can so they lose their exp and whine a lot , and leave the mod for good...
Glorin
PostTue 04/22/03 4:01pm
ur supposed to do that unannounced tho  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Glorin and OGT.

1. Soulseekers are pish, have said so all along, but no-one ever listens.
2. NWN is now over 9 months old, everything has been seen and done. I like challenge and having to put in the effort, and if these things had happened to Dyso much earlier then we'd all be more cheery now.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulseekers should be removed because they are Bioware bug exploiters. They us a DC 26 slay-on-hit that bypasses death magic immunity due to a bug. The only defense is a +25 fort save, which is problematic for some classes. They seem to only use this power sometimes. I don't know why. You can get jumped by them sometimes and they only do a few hp damage, then one day you portal to Kraven, and whammo DC 26 bugged slay-on-hit. If not remove them, perhaps lower the DC on the slay power or replace it with something else.

Edit: One other solution, put a guard in the Kraven Rift Gate Temple and Gloth Rift Gate Temple.
Gabriel Lynux
PostTue 04/22/03 5:09pm
Gloth Rift Gate!?!?!? holy S@#% you made it to Gloth!? what's there? I thought it was no more?  Reply with quote

Muric
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right after I made the above post, I logged in, portalled to Kravenwood and was jumped by a Soul Seeker. Why do I have to make 3 saves vs death for one hit by the Soul Seeker? I posted the screenshot:

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/album_view.php?id=638

The only reason I lived is that I swap around items to max out my fort save everytime I portal to Kravenwood.

Edit: I think the DC 26 slay x 3 was intentional to make the Soul Seekers nasty, and is not a bug. I just post it here as more evidence that perhaps they need tweaking.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I admit after being beat down by a Soul Seeker that they are bit too much of a pain in the butt, but I like them in general. I think they should either have the Slay thingy taken away completely, or only make you roll to save ONCE, not 3 times (that is totally ree-dicooluss).

But to steer this back towards the main spirit of this topic, I have to agree that it is indeed strange that the fact that Dyso is much more like a "pure" RP server now, that people are less inclined to RP, simply because they have to scrape and scramble to get as much XP as they can. As darkshadow666 pointed out to me at work one day: "We used to sit around the fountain in Elriina talking [IC] all the time, but now no one is there because we're all out trying to get XP!"

Ogt, this is not because we're all sooo concerned about our "precious exp". No wait, I take that back, we ARE concerned about it, because the higher you go, the longer it takes you to get it back if you die! What I mean to say is, as someone who once did a TON of PnP, I didn't play just to level, but I certainly didn't play just to sit around with my friends and pretend to be a party of medevil-esque characters. Hell, I did *that* when I was 8, before I could grasp the concepts of keeping a character sheet, calculating dice rolls, and feeling the thrill of getting to higher and higher levels to use better items and spells!

Overall, I think 3.x is better than 2.x - usually. Much of the tweaking is VERY nice, and I'm having a TON of fun. But there are times when it is less fun than it used to be. We do need to fear Death - but "losing" literally hours of play time is not fun. I'm glad it's difficult as heck to get uber items, but shouldn't even those of us who can only devote maybe 20 hours in a week if we're lucky to Dyso still have a chance to use them? I'm hearing talk about how level 16 is the "new 20". heh...yeah that's funny, until I stop to think about it.....

I _love_ to RP. I am _not_ someone who enjoys powergaming. Go ahead and flame me about how if I don't like what's being done, then I'm not really into true RP'ing. Um, "no" to you. If you say that, you are, in my opinion, and extreme purist. I mean, I do believe that there are those of you out there who really, honestly, don't give a rats ass about a shred of XP. But you've got to realize that XP is A PART OF D&D. And when we were hearing about everything that was going to be done in 3.x, I was one of it's biggest proponents. But now, I'm rethinking some of the things I said.

I don't know what the answer(s) is(are). I love Dyso, and therefore I could care less if it's never perfect icon_wink.gif . Seriously, I just think that the whole thing about making it really, really difficult to get to 20 and use uber items has been taken just a tad too far.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Geoff
Master

XP
EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27
 96%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe that there are some people who don't care... Geoff still has 0 xp... which is kind of strange, since I hear that DMs give out role-playing experience now. No love for Geoff?
Aronthal
Master

XP
 18%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I debated wehter or not to even post this, but I decided to in the end.

I just love how I bring up an idea weeks ago, and everyone shoots it down. And then a few weeks later many poeple come to the conclusion that I am right. Hehe, maybe you guys should start listening to what I have to say instead of shooting me down just for being the new guy.

Now THAT was arrogant! hehe

icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lol.gif icon_razz.gif
dreamin'
PostTue 04/22/03 7:15pm
Nah, you're still wrong Aronthal icon_razz.gif  Reply with quote

Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff is never on anymore that's why he still has no exp. Nei has collected about 5000 over the past few weeks. Before people start crying about that, Nei ONLY talks so while you're out bashing things she's helping somebody out or some similar thing. As for the Soulseekers, I think Bri is fixing the only problem I had with them which was in eleriina. Now that there is no EXP loss in eleriina I still have no problem with them at all.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I don't mind the soulseekers too much, but they are a pain in the arse when you're lower level. Add to the list of locations to station guards Planar Core, since I got whacked by one there.

And, there nothing in Gloth except Xivians. icon_twisted.gif
Aronthal
PostTue 04/22/03 7:48pm
What are Xivians?  Reply with quote

expansia
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely annoying women that like to punch, kick, shoot, and cast at you until you are dead. They're really hard to melee unless you have awesome criticals and can use elemental shields.
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No XP loss (in town) is definitely a good idea for the SoulSeekers! Alright! But since when did this taken effect? I was killed by one at about 7:30 EST today and lost XP.....
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://65.119.181.60http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48819#48819
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Uin
PostTue 04/22/03 9:54pm
Just remember it takes a LONG, L O N G time for things to be implemented.  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see my signiture, Uin, it could help with the situation... (I hope it hasn't been changed)

[edit] HA! you can't see my signiture!!! oopss... permission to make it longer?[/edit]

[edit numero dos]
hmm... army of worshippers?
bow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gif
bow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gif
bow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gifbow.gif evil.gif
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!

Last edited by Little Teapot on Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just put a bunch of smileys in and it shows up

see weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif weirdlook.gif
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Grok
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please consider doing something about the massive penalty from death, I have heard some talk of this, but instead of me going on a long rant, think about this....when I die I loose 2980 xp's and so far on lv 17 I have lost a total of 37,000 xp's....let's just say I'm not happy.
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, they need to change one of 2 thing's at high level id think....

just a little bit of change on one of these..

1. make EXP a LITTLE easier to get.

2. Make Death peanalties a LITTLE easier

i perfer the first one, Death should be feared
BriHurley
The Lord of Kravenwood Estates

XP
EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41
 34%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm I have an Idea!!! Why don't I work on quest to help over come this hurdle seeing how the database we use will prevent lamers from trying to exploit quest. Do you think this will help??

bow.gif bow.gif pimp.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much so, considering if the quest can be LONG and hard, and reward EXP !

so, while mitch has da cord

your DA MAN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: