DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

A combination of things is making this unbearable.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to speak my mind.

To all those that spam out the words "Dyso 3.x is better than 2.x" :

Do you say that to please Bri? I think the answer in 90% of the cases is yes.

To be perfectly honest, dyso 3.x SUCKS when I compare it to the experiences I had in 2.x. Many of you feel the same way but are too afraid to say so. That's what peer pressure does.

About the XP. Everyone wants to reach their maximum potential. It's human nature. So when you stop people from doing that, they aren't going to like it. "It's to help roleplay" BAH to that. You'd get more roleplay if dyso auto-leveled everyone to 20. Simply because people wouldn't have to worry about leveling and will therefore spend more time roleplaying. Now I'm not saying doing that would be a good idea, I'm just saying it would be better for roleplay than what we have now.

Also as it has been mentioned, you could spent hours gaining 2500xp, only for some annoying creature to come along and take it all from you. It's happened to me on many occasions, and I've asked myself: "Why the hell do I bother?!" I've stopped bothering now. I rarely kill things for xp anymore. And I'm rarely in dyso anymore. I've tried to get to grips with the new system, but I detest it so much I don't want to bother playing anymore. If we are going to have massive penalties for dying, then we should have massive xp for killing things. And the insane thing is only the powerplayers will ever reach level 20, and the roleplayers will max out at 15 in 3 years if they're lucky. At least with 2.x everyone had a good chance to get to level 20. And another thing, what's the obsession about not letting players reach level 20? What is the problem with that? I don't understand it. So what if everyone's level 20? At least then it's fair.

And next time anyone goes to type out the words "3.x is better than 2.x" take 10 seconds and think to yourself "Do I really mean this?"

Griff
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff, i must say, im surprised by this reaction, and i honestly, dont say that 3.x is better then 2.x for no reason...im not saying 2.x didnt have it's advantage's im not saying it did

but over all i like 3.x, no one, to my knowleage has gotten level 20 yet, and this is good.

now with that said, i want o know why your hateing 3.x so much....yes, auto leveling people to 20 would bring ALOT more roleplay, and soon as word got out to www.somepowergameingguildthathasnolife.com we would be flooded with PKer's that make it no fun ! i mean we already have alot of people whom dont RP pain and Death ((im one of them !)) to the Extream's it was ment to be !

IM going NUT"S !

i cant hold it anymore...dyso.3x rules, thats a fact, but here are some thing's wrong with it.

Kindo, is loseing faith in dyso
Falknor has LOST faith in dyso
Bri, is doing his best, but his real life come's first and the guy is busy
conrad seem's to be enjoying the few events he does, but is it me or are they fewer and fewer ?

Y, whom just did a major event, feels as though he failed i think, he was disapointed that his HUGE event, and no one got it ! icon_sad.gif

we need more people working on it, but all of our dm's are leaving and has anyone thought of making dysotopia a closed server ?

3.x is a imporvment for the Mod, griff, that im sure of...but the .3x ERA might not be a improvement for the players *sighs*
Error247
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20
 30%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff Inn wrote:
To all those that spam out the words "Dyso 3.x is better than 2.x" :

Do you say that to please Bri? I think the answer in 90% of the cases is yes.

To be perfectly honest, dyso 3.x SUCKS when I compare it to the experiences I had in 2.x. Many of you feel the same way but are too afraid to say so. That's what peer pressure does.

funny funny funny this is exactly what ive said to some people.... haha about time someone else thinks what i do

oooooh... another addition to the wonderful world of geniuses....
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to the "losing/lost faith" list the WR crew, which used to make up about 25% of the server at high tide. You know laz, kental etc. Damnit I miss them.

One slight error in your post marine, I did not say I hate 3.x, I said it sucks when I compare it to 2.x. They are two different things. And it's not just about the xp. There are others issues. I was just picking out the most discussed one.

Griff
Marine436
Lamer

XP
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you please list the other issue's ?

and yes, i miss the WR also ! with the expection of 2...

anyways, please list the one's wrong
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to call my bluff?

okay:

* Money - money used to be fair and easier to get, now it's not.

* the good old 2.x players - some have left, others are on the verge of leaving.

*not being able to pp corpses - where's the roleplay in that?

*5 minute death wait - you should really have to trek through the afterlife to get back to the material plane instead of wait dead for 5 minutes.

* the "player merchants" - never really took off.

*only those above level 12 who've realised they get less than 30 xp per kill decide to roleplay. And they only do it because they have killed 1000000 trolls/skeletons and are growing tired of it.

Royal Flush

Griff
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly one of the things why Dyso is still beta. Gameplay testing includes BALANCE testing.
Criticism like this helps improve balance & make Dyso a fun place for everyone.

(Yes, I myself would love to be level 20 again, I actually stopped playing because I'm having tremendous problems of even getting over level 10. Sure, call me a powerplayer, but when motivation is gone there's not a whole lot left to play for, and for me a big motivator was to get to level 20 and actually roleplay my char the way I would want to roleplay him, which I can't right now at level 10 since he does not have the classes/skills needed)
View users profile Send private message
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanting to be level 20 does not make you a powerplayer nef. If it did then everyone's a powerplayer! icon_biggrin.gif . I'm a powerplayer too!

Griff
Gabriel Lynux
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39 EXP: 31 / 39
 79%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I abosolutly agree with the recent posts....I think that griff has a major point in this.....perhaps some slight changes would do this server some good, maybe even get some of the lost players back. icon_mrgreen.gif
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is that there are no quests or other roleplaying treats that tempts you. Sure the DMs are doing quests, but as there are no quests built-in the game, the only thing you really can do is focus on getting to higher levels. Unless you're lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when a DM event is taking place. You would be surprised to see how many of the "powergamers" who are superb roleplayers, if they only get the chance to do a quest or event of some sorts.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the intention of roleplaying should be rewarded...

For instance:
I'm in the Kravenwood Militia. Right now I can't do &*@%# about any lamers trying to break the laws in Kravenwood since I'm only level 10. If I were to be level 20 however I could actually roleplay my role in the Militia, so it would be nice to be bumped to level 20 by a DM.

This is how it would work for me, now as for new players who do not have specific roles yet, if they were to be accepted into a guild that is officially recognized by the Dyso authorities then perhaps they should get bumped up as well according to what position they would get within that guild.

For instance the LoS:
Falkhor, being shadowmaster or whatever, would obviously be a level 20 rogue or something. Now he's a official authority, and the LoS is sort of officially acknowledged as being a Dyso guild. If he were to recruit a promising newbie into the LoS as a footpad for instance, then the newbie could get bumped to a certain level to be able to play that role (and from there, by proving himself worthy to the guild, he could improve himself).

For this to work though, every guild should have some DM supervisors or whatever, or this could perhaps be done in guild-specific quests. Okay if I go on now I'll start rambling. I'll explain myself a bit more later on, right now I NEEEEED food.
Glorin
PostWed 04/23/03 3:58pm
sounds like Nefis just sick of leveling icon_wink.gif  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
PostWed 04/23/03 4:01pm
ok i've been inspired to make a poll.

Griff

Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lack of quests that makes players want to level. There's nothing else for them to do. I mean you can't expect everyone to play the "socialize" bit all the time.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*goes to type out something*
*takes 10 seconds to think to himself, "Do I really mean this?"*

3.x is better than 2.x

And I'm not saying this just for the sake of argument. 90% of the time, I think it's better. I admit, the other 10% of the time it is MUCH worse, but it IS still alpha...

O and btw, the White Rose sucked. I'm not saying the members did (necessarily), but their Order definitely sucked rotten pickled eggs.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that the changes made going from 2.x to 3.x were made for the right reasons, and I think we will probably get there eventualy. From what I have seen in the few posts that Bri has made in similar threads to this one, he is level headed, does not at all mind constructive criticsm, and when he is convinced there is a problem, he does not hesitate to correct it, as time permits.

Being that there is not a compliments forum, I will say keep up the good work Bri, and don't get discouraged. I fully know what it is like to implement something that I think is realy cool, and it just doesn't work the way I intended it. The biggest problem I think that exists at the moment is summed up pretty good in the title of this thread. The changes that were made, were good ones, it is just that in concert the changes are disharmonious.

At the risk of seemeing redundant, here are some of the posts that I have made on the various issues:

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3222&highlight=

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3390&highlight=

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3221&highlight=

I also should emphasize that the player driven economy is not working. I was probably one of the most active merchants in 3.x, and I just sold all my wares to the thieves guild. Simply put I could barely give the stuff away for free, because any one could go out, and with perserverence, obtain the same stuff for free that I was trying to sell. I am still going to try to be a merchant, but it will only be in selling things that is hard for others to come by. Which unfortunately are few and far between.
Marine436
Lamer

XP
 60%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thats the one thing i DO agree on the player driven Econ, worked great for about 1 week...then it died

no tradeskills, destroyed any hope of it !
Error247
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20 EXP: 6 / 20
 30%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nel - Pant - Rumanos wrote:
no tradeskills, destroyed any hope of it !

i would have to say lack of gold helped accomplish it quite well on its own...

oooooh... another addition to the wonderful world of geniuses....
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't read all the posts, just started making my own post after reading nefis..... uhm yeah well jailing system sucks that you cant do it in your town now, but the fun part is that hey you can always just annoyingly fight them with a level 1 bard and cast light and blind them forever icon_twisted.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: