DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Again: Dysotopia must be better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Again: Dysotopia must be better Reply with quote

ALright, I have lost all interest in Dysotopia. Seriously, this is just _too_ boring at the current moment. Almost noone is on, when they are on, they are out hunting trolls or whatever, or they are way out of your level range and therefore not available, or they are non-rping asses. It is getting frustrating to see, and I have lost all joy of playing. The problem here is not the builders(although Gesh is completely gone now, where is he???), who have done a great job, the problem is not the server, it is quite stable, and lag isn't really a problem. The problem is also not the DMs, so the only thing that can be a problem is the players.

The players need to shape up. There are enough players out there who may be good roleplayers, but who spend their time trying to level. There are enough people out there who are NOT roleplayers, and who just want to level. I suggest that the DMs and MODs should get more aggressive at people just leveling and not roleplaying. Come on, this is a roleplay server, people, this is NOT an action PW or an action server.

Roleplay should not be rewarded at itself, non-roleplay should be punished. Punished in other ways than XP or gold loss, in ways such as a one-day player or character ban, or even a permanent character death(which could be done very well in a DM-event, where the character COULD have a chance to save himself).

I have recently found a server which shows how it SHOULD be done.(And no, I will not say the name or IP or whatever here, because I don't want to mess it up by having stupid people trying to get there) It is very simple, they have brilliant players. The players there REALLY and ALWAYS Roleplay. Much and much better than here, it is to me, what Dyso used to be. In the past, I have had some really good Roleplay experiences(I love those Eleriiina benches), but that is all over now. It is boring, and non-stimulative. People are leaving, people are becoming more and more powergaming oriented instead of roleplay oriented. People don't want to help newbies, they want to ignore them or kill them. People don't want to roleplay, they want to level.

This may be a long post, but I hope you all get the meaning of it. SHAPE UP AND ROLEPLAY. Or I and more people will be leaving ths server, this does not mean that Bri and Gesh and Gorby and all of the DMs are not doing a wonderful job, but this DOES mean that YOU, the players, are ruining it for them.....

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also posted this here...........

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50202#50202

But I will post it again here.

Hmm... I too have noticed that dyso is losing players. There are a few things that I blame this on...

Low-beginning levels: New people start off on the eastern isle... since we have way more returning people than we do newbie people, there are little to no parties going around on this island. It's a cool idea, but there is no point to it. You get to the top of the hill.... nothing... no point whatsoever. Just to level? Nah... a role player would prefer to start at level one with true HCR, any other player would prefer to start at least at level three.

Death: Especially at low levels and eastern isle. The death penalty is harsh... almost too harsh. I don't think that there should be a wait since the XP/Gold loss is SO uber fantasticly bastard, and since xp gain is very little. Currently, the new dyso has been around for... what, a month and a half now? And there are STILL no level 20's? Again... good idea, but bad for new players.

Gold System: Hmm.. I find it rather ridiculous how you only get money from gems and not from other things. I understand that we are trying to encourage trade between players, but recieving a mere 5 gold for a Longsword +1 is absolutely nuts.

Soul Seekers: 'nuff said

Perfect Unities: Great idea! But unless they are flawless, all they do is bitch about having your weapon out and nothing else.. they don't attack monsters, and sometimes they follow you outside of the town and bitch about YOUR weapon when there are other monsters with THEIR weapons out...

Quests: There are currently...*thinks*... 2 actual quests on dyso that I know of. Ones that update your journal anyway. There is the Ale quest (gopher boy which a TON of people, when role play, don't feel its their job to do), and the Emerald Armor, which very few people even GET that high of level to begin with.

Item Level Restrictions: I really don't think that with the XP system being as harsh as it is that there should be an Item Restriction.

Again, don't forget that these are OPINIONS. Don't blow your steam off at me. But I think that these should seriously be looked at. I don't think that all the people are leaving dyso simply because the servers are down, but because they are finding other mods, getting bored with Neverwinter in general (like me), or just play sick of it. Think it over...

All in all, I still love dyso, but we are losing a ton of players. There have been quite a few times when I get on and there are only 5 or less people on. Albeit I generally get on at night, but still, even then there is usually 15-20 people around. And during the day its almost always packed.. but not anymore.

I really think that we should take another look at these things. I believe that they seriously discourage new comers. The module is in the RP section and when most people see that they start out at level 1 they think its really good rp.. not just a hack and slash server.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Again: Dysotopia must be better Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:

This may be a long post, but I hope you all get the meaning of it. SHAPE UP AND ROLEPLAY. Or I and more people will be leaving ths server, ruining it for them.....

they leave because most people dont like spending 8 hours a day trying to lvl up

we all know that for most people to roleplay they first like being in a lvl where they feel comfortable.

if so many are leaving how can it be 100% fault of the players,
its a nice mod but the people that was it pre wipe, liked it because it waas easy to get to a nice level and then they could chat and mess around with other people,
now only people that have the patience and time to lvl up are staying
View users profile Send private message
Uin
PostFri 05/02/03 12:59pm
Combined with the fact that NWN is now an old game...  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not even a year old...that's not old

diablo's 2 year's old...((more i think))

and it has ton's of players still
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This may be a long post, but I hope you all get the meaning of it. SHAPE UP AND ROLEPLAY. Or I and more people will be leaving ths server, this does not mean that Bri and Gesh and Gorby and all of the DMs are not doing a wonderful job, but this DOES mean that YOU, the players, are ruining it for them.....

Not a chance in hell bud. That has to be one of the most selfish and childish paragraphs I have ever read in my life. You can leave if you want, no skin off of my back. As for the creators? Hell yes they are doing a wonderful job. Hard work, dedicated time, but bad decisions. This ISN'T an HCR server, and with out HCR, people tend to not role play as much. This is a PW server with TWO quests... TWO. What does that leave people to do?

A. Join a guild
B. Hack and slash to level

Thats IT! But... since we don't have full guild support, no warring, no massing, NOTHING but just saying "yeah, Im in the OSB" then that leaves them to resort to choice B. But since leveling is now a completel and total pain in the ASS, that leaves them with no options but boredom. So if you don't like it, get your whiney ass out. cussing.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pyrosmurfs
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with Ogt and Fox. As a pre-whipe person myself, its really hard to adjust to the new dyso. Pillb0x and myself joind Dyso at the same time (we were physically on the phone and naming off servers to join, we tried out a few before dyso) and what we both found interesting at first was the 5 free levels and the gold you start off with. Here's exactly how our first visit went:

We walk off the boat and spend alot of money on the cheap lady with the crappy items (lol we didn't know the market was bigger icon_rolleyes.gif ) and then come to find out that there is more people with better items. We kinda bitched and moaned, but realized we have more money and actually enough to get the items we want. We then kind of stumble around Ele looking for something and by chance happen upon the fountain. BY GOD were there a ton of people at the fountain and at the time, we didn't know who was who (and admittingly this might have been better(suggesting removal of names above head)). We were still on the phone and were freaking out at how huge and magical it seemed. Everyone was roleplaying and we were introducing our Chars to alot of the people. We then hooked up with some people who showed us out to the bandits and Orges...

Thats pretty much my fondest memory of Dyso, and what has driven me to stay this long. When I think about that though, being my first interaction with Dyso and its people, I can't help but think of what the new commers have to put up with. NO WONDER no one is staying around. From my understanding the Isles were put there to take on the returning flood of regulars... well thats over... why don't we just get rid of them? You can find the same enemies out there that you can in Dyso...

Also, as Ogt was saying about comfortable levels, I believe thats exactly the case with all of the people hanging around the fountain.

Although I couldn't seem to get to the forums for the past few weeks, I wasn't planning on annoucing it anyway, but I haven't been playing for about a month now. I'm at level 13 and level erm, 7 I think. It's dull as hell. There aren't any RP expierences, and if there are, they aren't anything like Pre-Whipe. And leveling is sooo boreing. At level 13 I hang out with the Devourers and get like 89 exp per frog. I needed initially like over 10k to level to 14. What the hell is this?? I dunno... it's sad to say that in an attempt to force RP, what has actually happened is people are leaving. I need not speak for Pill but I believe it is mutual amongst him also. Not so much what I have said, but towards the mod and actually playing. I enjoy playing with alot of other people on the server, but personally, it's not any fun if Pill isn't playing anymore.

On a side note, what the expected date for Rebirth?

Anyway, I'll still be on the forums (if they decide to be consistant!!!) and see if the mod is being fixed through it, but I don't think I'll play anymore. For the time being. Take it easy everyone and have fun, not with just the game, but also with life...

--+> Paul

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thank you very much FoxBoyTails, but you are forgetting one little thing. This is supposed to be an RP server, and for an Rp server, they all have done a great job, and honestly, if the community was better, all those level requirements, low gold and ALL of that would not matter. It is as simple as that, because you do NOT seem to get that it is NOT the makers fault, it is the players fault. That was not a selfish paragraph, it is a true paragraph.

If they introduce this very system on the server I am now playing on, I dare bet that everyone would be roleplaying just as happily as before, and that it wouldn't be such a biatch as here.

And pyro, it's sad you are leaving as well. If you want a good roleplay server to play on, send me (or marine, if I'm not responding) a pm, and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just cause I'm bored and it keeps coming up -
Quests
1. Ale run - get quest at eleriina tavern
2. Emerald armor - get quest at lost village's grove
3. Bandit cave quest - get quest at guard tower in eleriina

Three quests, not two
MerchanT
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22 EXP: 3 / 22
 13%
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious that no one has pointed this out yet, but the main comlpaint seems to be that EVERYTHING WAS BETTER under .2x. Measures were put into place to encourage more role-play, and they had the opposite effect, just like many of us predicted they would. As some of Dyso's "better" role-players get to the higher levels that they were at before, you're going to see them coming back to their better RP. Love it or leave it - that's how it works.

As for the people who have left, there are any number of reasons for this. I suspect that they mainly fall into two categories. The first group are purists who expected Dysotopia to be magically transformed into a world where level 3 players sit around in the Inn for hours at a time talking about fairy cake and telling dragon stories who were shocked and horrified when it didn't happen. The second group are people who realize what a huge step backward we took in RP when we went to .3x and are going somewhere else to find it.

Either way, like I said, I think we'll see some normalization as more and more people get to the place that they were basically at before. I totally fail to see the logic of blaming the community of players for the current issues though. That's roughly akin to saying the reason a golf course is unpopular is that the people who golf it aren't enjoying themselves enough.

Adam

/ Meet the Mos'viels! /
* Baleric * Finn * Mordecai *
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Grusk
PostFri 05/02/03 9:43pm
Amen.

That's the only remotely creative thing I can come up with.

Mogster
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27 EXP: 19 / 27
 70%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchanT wrote:
I totally fail to see the logic of blaming the community of players for the current issues though. That's roughly akin to saying the reason a golf course is unpopular is that the people who golf it aren't enjoying themselves enough.

Or to put it another way, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." icon_wink.gif

Seriously, who can honestly say that the 3.X changes have led to better roleplaying? Anyone? *hears crickets chirping*
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know its funny because you seem to be the only one whining about not getting your way ShadowCore.

*whines* "If you don't role play I'm going to leave!*
Well... *whines* If you don't play the way I want to then you're not my friend!*

Sound familiar? That's exactly what that sentence you wrote implies. Very childish. I expected better from you.

And if you would read my post, I clearly stated that the mods, DMs, and creaters, CLEARLY do their job well. All I said is that they made some bad decisions.

Regardless, its quite clear that nothing is going to change for a looooong time. So either shape up or ship out.

icon_smile.gif
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if you roleplay forcing someone to roleplay something, you're very happy and content with yourself, although in my case that is usually followed by a lot of ooc cursing and a bunch of angry tells from disgruntled people that decided to find out what was in my right hand instead of my left.

Go figure, not my fault people die in the things I force upon the population. They tried to resist. icon_rolleyes.gif
View users profile Send private message
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine436 wrote:
it's not even a year old...that's not old

diablo's 2 year's old...((more i think))

and it has ton's of players still

Its old, everyone has played everyclass and modules don't throw up surprises anymore, that is old.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda agree with Shadowcore. I think we need SOMETHING to make people realize "lvls are great and nice but roleplay is better and once it you hit lvl 20 its all you have so enjoy it and have fun"

I actually spent 2 hours trying to help a newbie out the other day. And you know what..... IT WAS FUN! I think it's sick when people don't help em. They are just trying to play...
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You know its funny because you seem to be the only one whining about not getting your way ShadowCore.

*whines* "If you don't role play I'm going to leave!*
Well... *whines* If you don't play the way I want to then you're not my friend!*

Sound familiar? That's exactly what that sentence you wrote implies. Very childish. I expected better from you.

And if you would read my post, I clearly stated that the mods, DMs, and creaters, CLEARLY do their job well. All I said is that they made some bad decisions.

Regardless, its quite clear that nothing is going to change for a looooong time. So either shape up or ship out.

You know, it's funny Fox, that you rip comments out of context without reading anything to well. I said taht I and others would leave, and that is NOT a threat, it is a simple statement. People will leave, not because I don't get my way, but because the mod isn't what it is SUPPOSED TO BE.

YOu seem to say, that people are going to powergame and not roleplay, and that it is NOT their fault. Well, that's just total BULL, THEY decide not to roleplay, you don't decide that for them, the makers don't decide that, THEY decide that THEMSELVES. They aren't victim of a situation, they are exploiters of a situation. THAT is what needs to change, not the death, xp or gold system...

Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the title this post is slightly off. Dysotopia is fine - thats not the problem.

This is exactly why people are leaving- too much ooc controversey that people end up leaving to avoid conflict and/or are frustrated of it. icon_eek.gif

Second downside is probably the system- yes its a slow system- time will soon change things. For Christ's sake, stop giving Bri reasons to grow white hair. But yes, I do find myself twitching when someone says "I'll RP when I get to level 20"

Sod off.

On the upside, the DMs are really pushing hard to develop story lines and such for many who do RP. I think they're doing an excellent job, giving us chances to fully display our RP capabilities. icon_lol.gif

And come on, that cute dwarf Dunge Onmaster is reason enough to stay! Don't you guys think hes cute? *pokes belly* icon_razz.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostMon 05/05/03 10:30am
People already ARE leaving. Regardless, that certainly seemed like a very 'threatening' statement to me.  Reply with quote

Maul'Kin
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14 EXP: 11 / 14
 78%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow, think of it as a business. Dyso was created and catered to a certain type of customer. The customers got used to the product and settled into a routine. Then the wipe comes and Dyso 2 comes out. The product is completly different from the original product. The customers who were used to one thing find they don't like the new and improved product. So they leave.

Its funny watching you preach about this and that. It seems pretty clear that ppl do not want to stay at a low level and just chat. So all the customers have had their taste of the new and improved product and decided to move on.

So you say that the players are responsible for the lack of RP. I say that its somewhat true. But I would also say that the developers have lost touch with their player base. If the exodus is so dramatic that everyone is talking about it, then it stands to reason that ppl don't like the current rules...
View users profile Send private message Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: