DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums
 
GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New XP System... what do you think?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

What do you think of the new XP system?
Great, I can powergame again
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
It's the same thing
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Nah, this makes it too easy
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
I'm level 2 and get XP from events
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Message
Spears
PostSat 05/03/03 10:49am
I've noticed that they've upped it a notch. What do you all think of it now?  Reply with quote
 
Maelstrom696969
Lamer


Joined: 18 Dec 2002
Posts: 1837

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would participate in this poll if it had better choices.

My answer is "I like it", but not because I can powergame. It's because now I can actually fulfill the potential of the characters I have in mind to create in the future without having to put in 400 hours of play.
_________________
"Great warrior? Ah! Wars not make one great!"
yinyang.gif
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster


Joined: 31 Jan 2003
Posts: 297

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West didn't you set the record to level 20 before? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

I voted yes I think the new revamped system is a little more fair to help develop your character.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
guitarrML
Master


Joined: 11 Feb 2003
Posts: 132

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 12 / 22 EXP: 12 / 22 EXP: 12 / 22
 54%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Maelstrom. I DO like it, but not because I powergame, but because I want my character to reach it's full potential. I am still only level 12, so I don't know how it effects the higher levels, but I do like it better. It seems to be a good balance between 2.x and 3.x....almost like they took the 2.x xp amount and the 3.x amount and found the exact middle between the two icon_wink.gif
_________________
Izboliek Vulame -- Knight, Order of the Shining Blade
Girek Vulame -- Counsellor, Crimson Hand
Urg Bustum -- Crimson Guard, Crimson Hand
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Raven
PostSat 05/03/03 3:56pm
It really relieves some pressure for higher lvls. Although I noticed that gems don't drop as often anymore. Magical items are really up though.  Reply with quote
 
Kindo
Great Deity


Joined: 21 Sep 2002
Posts: 4068

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course you can't just be SATISFIED with being level 15-17. You just *have* to be 20. "I want my character to reach it's full potential." Seriously, maybe we should remove those last three-four levels and let 16-17 be "full potential". Then we might stop hearing that lameass stupid excuse.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of COURSE I want my character to be lvl 20. If not then why have the lvl system? Why not just let everybody be the same? And everyone could live in a happy happy world where everyone is equal, like communism!
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
Kindo
Great Deity


Joined: 21 Sep 2002
Posts: 4068

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you just stop when you reach 16-17?! Isn't that enough? Kids today. icon_neutral.gif
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Glorin
The Badgermouthed


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 4912

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really see no difference, we should all just start at lvl 20 or disable leveling all together. Seriously if you think about it, leveling is the most pointless thing ever, its boring, non rp, stupid, and when you do it you are called a powergamer. We should all either start at lvl 20 or just stay at lvl 1 or something. Roleplay is player interaction and playing your character how he/she would act in the player interactions. Yet when your leveling, whether easy or not, theres none of that, just die skellies, die kobolds...I got to lvl 14 and just pretend im lvl 20 because I see no point in going around and killing skeletons, the levels dont really matter.

There is no player interaction either, seriously there is nothign for guilds to do ne more, The OSB being made up of practically all moderators, and lead by the Dyso-Mod leader its assumed, as Zak said before and no one listened, that they will always have a monopoly over things. Such as Ogt being banned or booted or whatever for attacking OSB members. I liked Dyso when we had the LGoG-WR wars, they were fun looking back on it. Both sides had fun, after a battle WR members would Tell me sayin "that was fun, good fight" And there was roleplay in that as well such as the propaganda, tactics, keeping popular peasantry support etc. Now the roleplay is killing monsters....
_________________
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because by trying to get to lvl 20, everyone would create a more competitive world where no one will grow fat by sitting around and doing nothing. Only competitiveness make people do stuff.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
Glorin
The Badgermouthed


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 4912

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see Guild Wars over Land where gaining that land actually earns you something, as a reason for competition and getting people to do something.

and how roleplay is it for people to compete on who gets to what lvl faster? its stupid and pointless imho
_________________
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder


Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Posts: 1069

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorin wrote:
i really see no difference, we should all just start at lvl 20 or disable leveling all together.


i agree with you 100%
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Raven
PostSat 05/03/03 5:10pm
Because roleplay servers that really only has 100% roleplay isn't as good as some thinks.  Reply with quote
 
AliZee'
PostSat 05/03/03 5:12pm
yea thats a good point too....  Reply with quote
 
Glorin
The Badgermouthed


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 4912

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the solution to balance that off is simple, by having areas with monsters yes. But no huge hunting grounds, where u just kill monster after monster. Have areas full of tuff monsters for level 20s and as rewards for completing the little quests you get certain items.

Items ould be restricted to be that of all lvl 1 items, so it would be a trek for a level 20 character to get a Full plate +1. So when guilds are sick of warring they will have something alternate to do to expand their power, without having to stand around for an hour killing monsters for however many exp.
_________________
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
GorbGuy
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorin wrote:
I liked Dyso when we had the LGoG-WR wars, they were fun looking back on it. Both sides had fun, after a battle WR members would Tell me sayin "that was fun, good fight" And there was roleplay in that as well such as the propaganda, tactics, keeping popular peasantry support etc. Now the roleplay is killing monsters....
Glorin, I wasn't going to comment on this, because really, it's not on topic, but the more I think about it, the more I see it is. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard people saying "we want LV days back" or "remember the good old days, when wars between guilds were fun?!" Well, what's stopping you from doing such, really? The OSB get's most of the attention by all, because they are an organized guild. That's the key to it all, really. If you have a group, with set objectives adding to the storyline, and the group members, make sense for the guild, so to speak, then you will start to hear about this guild(s). It's not what level you start at, it's not whether or not your character are stored on your computer, and it certainly isn't about what mods/DM's are in what guilds. It's all about how the guild interacts with other people, and it's story line, simple as that. Want a guild, then by all means, start one. I wished that I saw more, to be perfectly honest with you. I wish that there were guild wars, intra-guild power struggles, and so forth. And actually, that's on almost at the top of my "to-do" list as Prince. But everyone is so damned bent out of shape and spending so much time whining about wanting LV and 2.x days back, no one has yet to get the initiative to do so. I can't get things like this going on my own.
To basically sum this up...
RP'ing isn't about levels, it's not about having uber items, having mods in your guild, or having lots of gold. It's about adding to and interacting with an everchanging world and story line.
Back to top
Raven
PostSat 05/03/03 6:57pm
Part of that everychaging world is players, and if there are to be changes, there must be lvls. We can't just GIVE 19 lvls upon creation.  Reply with quote
 
AliZee'
PostSat 05/03/03 7:15pm
actually i love tha new xp system....just tested it out icon_biggrin.gif  Reply with quote
 
Aronthal
Master


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 172

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here .. I agree whole heartedly .. it still isn't like you can level up overnight .. but it isn't like getting out your cane at level 15 like it used to be ... so far I think it is a nice balance.

Ohh and Gorb I agree entirely with what you said, except for one small thing ... it's easy to speak out against powergaming when you start your first day as prince of dyso! icon_smile.gif .. just kidding hope you can bring about some changes.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Grusk
The Ownerizer


Joined: 11 Dec 2002
Posts: 851

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold up there Foozay, with what you said to Glorin there. (Not quoting, don't feel like it)

Some people DO have the initiative to start wars, fights, etc. Take me for instance, a lot of people don't recognize me as someone that would do that, but only because I can keep such a great amount of imputiny. Well, rather, lots would but they cannot acknowledge it IC or it would be considered bad roleplaying since they recieved information about the subject OOC. Go figure, I just love doing that to people.

Another thing to think about: I work with Glorin alot. So tell him again his organization doesn't have initiative while i'm dragging everyone around to fight people all over Dysotopia for whatever reason I decide is good.

icon_confused.gif Guess i'm done, and sorry for leaving topic people.

ON TOPIC:

The xp/gold system is alot better I would say, seeing as I have heard no whining from anybody but West so far.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Jase
Elder


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 951

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's only 1 reason i have EVER reached a lvl above 1...... SO I CAN ROLE{PLAY MORE. If all of Dyso was based on lvl 1 i would NEVER level i just get to lvl 20 so i can go everywhere and have a fun time even if everything kills me.........
_________________
Module Developer
Back to top
View users profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glorin
The Badgermouthed


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 4912

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"remember the good old days, when wars between guilds were fun?!" Well, what's stopping you from doing such, really?


If you attack the OSB you'll be banned, ask ogt.
_________________
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Raven
PostSat 05/03/03 10:20pm
If you attack the OSB you'll be BANNED?  Reply with quote
 
M-K
Elder


Joined: 01 Oct 2002
Posts: 755

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or more precisely if you attack certain holier than thou members of the OSB youll be banned......Or another example if a member of an OSB troupe resrapes you no less than 4 times then you will be jailed for not dying enuf the OSB friend /lackey told to be nicer..Really happened all power corrupts so it seems.
More accurate would be the quote from Pompey The Great *Dont talk to us of Laws.We have swords.
_________________
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell


"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader


Joined: 07 Sep 2002
Posts: 2161

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not even close to the truth ... but folks will believe what they want to believe so it's pointless to argue it. I still feel compelled to explain a bit of what was discussed behind the scenes ...

I think I can speak for all the mods and such concerning the latest discussions over various players that we are not against evil characters. There are a few out there in game whom I happen to have a great deal of respect for ... why? because they have a set character concept and they stick to it, they approach their evil character with a set of generally constant motivations and feelings that don't just change at the drop of a hat to suit whatever new situation pops up. In character I think they're evil nasty bastards ... but they do make the effort to stay with playing the concept with that character and don't immediately flip-flop whenever some new thing pops up that the player thinks would give them the best excuse to go kill someone. They also draw the distinction between being a player of a character and BEING the character. Players should be looking at the friendships, fights, arguments, and such between their characters as one thing and those same things between the players as totally unrelated. The player of an evil character should still be able to be pals with the player of a good character ... and that does happen, but not as often as it could.

Why is that? It is because some players feel they shouldn't attempt to talk to the other players OOC/off to the side about what is happening to make sure folks see the IC for what it is. This is a point I've stressed over and over and over and some just don't want to do it ... in fact one particular individual has gone so far as to say (paraphrasing) "I do what I do to piss off the other player as much as it is about anything else. Knowing I pissed off the other player makes it more fun for me." That's not roleplaying evil ... that's just being an ass. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun and part of the job of the dms and moderators is to try to protect the fun of the majority of players.

When someone's "fun" is predicated on taking away the fun of others ... then they are going to be walking a thin line to say the least. That does tend to mean it's going to trend against "evil" roleplay ... but not totally so, but most will tell you it's difficult to play a successful truely evil character. The world itself trends against evil. evil is ... after all ... generally bad even for other evil people if they aren't the ones behind the source of it or in control of it. That is why playing evil well is hard ... because unless you are creative, smart, and sly about it, you quickly become a target, and if you get to be a relatively powerful target (or well known), you transcend from being just a target to being a source of constant complaints. There's some pretty powerful evil characters out there who RP evil and have few, very few, IC repercussions because the players of these characters know how to work the angles and the politics in character as well as being open to discussion with other players (even those of the "enemy") about this or that before things get totally rolling. People who make sprawling declarations of death on sight to particular races, classes, or players need to figure out that saying such will bring consequences in time. When the consequences come and they get all pissed off about it ... making threats, harassing players, and more stuff to take it to the next level, they've forfeited whatever "high ground" they may have had.

As Falkhor once said to me (paraphrasing) "I don't care if people bash each others brains in, but they better be doing it with legitimate IC/RP motivation. The half-baked excuse IC stuff doesn't cut it." I'm not against evil roleplay, in fact I try to encourage it when I can ... but I am against the prevelant belief that "evil" means you can act like an ass and are not accountable for your actions. It's nearly laughable that if someone does something bad and a group of good characters questions them over it, it's some sort of "abuse" in the eyes of some. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime! If Dyso had an ingame system for reporting crimes/abuse and the like (similar to what Tuskandale is trying) I'd be less worried about it ... but Dyso doesn't, which means the DMs and moderators have to play part referee and part police officer.
_________________
Envision something suitably witty here.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Ogt
PostSat 05/03/03 11:51pm
aeioi

Last edited by Ogt on Sun May 04, 2003 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total
 Reply with quote
 
Glorin
PostSun 05/04/03 12:06am
ogt u crazy japanese swede  Reply with quote
 
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader


Joined: 07 Sep 2002
Posts: 2161

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it if it makes you feel better, Ogt, but it's not personal and actually had more to do with complaints from people who are not members of OSB than people who are. You'd been doing your attacks on various OSB members for a couple weeks now, and nothing happened to you punitively ... mainly due to my telling people you were probably bored and just looking for something to vent on. When the tables turned and you had your arse handed to you, you went ballistic with various OOC threats, insults and such. Beyond that was the other complaints from people who apparently just happened to be standing around as an easy target for your "boredom."

You once said that you did what you did because pissing off the other players was what made it fun for you. I never forgot that comment ... apologize for your stunts in the past as I might, I still remembered that. At the time I wrote it off to you just trying to be a tough guy ... but then picking on certain players in game because they won't pay attention to you goes beyond any sort of annoying PK activity from boredom. Your defense of various attacks along the lines of "I was using cam-hack, so you can't have seen me, you can't fight back!" aren't RP ... it's just taking advantage of some in game mechanics. Do I need to get into having party members raise someone so you can kill them again? I do believe that's called a rezrape ... and I can go back to the events in the arena, which I am convinced you knew damn well what you were doing, to more recent cases where you've done it elsewhere. People will let it slide once or twice, but when you keep on with it, eventually they can't take any more. Mix that with the original comment about "pissing them off makes it fun for me" comes to define what a griefer is.

I think, personally, you're a funny guy most of the time ... but I also think your behavior over the last few weeks has gotten worse and worse. What did it for me was the griefing of players who decided they didn't want to have anything to do with you in game any more. Basically I don't care how funny and amusing you can be, if you can't respect the desire of another player along those lines then I don't have any use for you here. Your temper explodes when something gets to a point where you can't control it totally and you start directing your anger at whomever is around, be they friend or foe.
_________________
Envision something suitably witty here.


Last edited by Conrad Hollows on Sun May 04, 2003 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Ogt
Elder


Joined: 23 Sep 2002
Posts: 865

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:

mainly due to my telling people you were probably bored and just looking for something to vent on. When the tables turned and you had your arse handed to you, you went ballistic with various OOC threats, insults and such

.


i dont do things because of boredom, i rarely bored , im always talking to people or having fun other ways
80% of the time i play im talking to people . 10% im leveling and 10% im being my mean cleric just like when i attack the osb, i cant remmeber anyone calling me a lier, well kindo once but thats all

And as far as i remember, i havent never ever insulted anyone in tells, id like to see the screenshots of that , im sure they dont exist, not because they werent take, but because when people talk to me in tells i just ignore them, i think more than 1 people can testify that

Conrad Hollows wrote:

You once said that you did what you did because pissing off the other players was what made it fun for you. I never forgot that comment ...
.

i agree but i didnnt mean that, i mean that it was rather fun to me to see how poeople got so pissed off and went ooc when they got angry.
Can someone tell me here, when im arguing or something, when was the last time that you remember me going ooc? in normal talk?

Conrad Hollows wrote:

Your defense of various attacks along the lines of "I was using cam-hack, so you can't have seen me, you can't fight back!" aren't RP ... it's just taking advantage of some in game mechanics.
.

I find it rather fun to cast icesttorm in people now and then and have them completly freaked out because it doestn even show in theyr log,i dont kill anyone this way, its just a good laugh


Conrad Hollows wrote:

Do I need to get into having party members raise someone so you can kill them again? I do believe that's called a rezrape ... and I can go back to the events in the arena, which I am convinced you knew damn well what you were doing, to more recent cases where you've done it elsewhere.
.


i have never ever rez raped someone in months, MONTHS , the last time i did it, i remember loki gave me a mean speech about it and since then i never did it again .

The arena thing, it was an arena, and it was precisely why i did it there, it was what 2 months ? or month and a half? i dint rez rape, the arena respawned him icon_biggrin.gif and i did it precisely in the arena because it was then an OOC zone.

I would really like to know about this most recent cases, because i like to know what im being accused of, and i like telling my side of the story.
I dont remmeber rez raping anyone ,nor anything that might look like it
and this means that plain and simple im saying the one that said it ITS LYING.

Conrad Hollows wrote:

I think, personally, you're a funny guy most of the time ... but I also think your behavior over the last few weeks has gotten worse and worse.
.

I might be acting mean to 5% of the dyso population, but i havent broken any rule as far as i know?

so then again being evil is being mean?
how do you want me to rp evil, roleplaying that im giving poisonous cookies? or saying that "hey you have an ugly haircut?"

thats not my style man
_________________
OGT the kung of the world!!!!!! king.gif
no more kitten =(


Last edited by Ogt on Sun May 04, 2003 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader


Joined: 07 Sep 2002
Posts: 2161

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oggie, you know I don't think you'd a bad guy, but Falk said it best before when we were talking ... you get angry over something and all hell breaks loose and the temper gets you doing stupid stuff without much consideration of anything else. You are not the only one who suffers from Ogtitis ... but you are a recurring example of it, which is why it's named after you. If there was a way that it could be set up to autoboot you when you start to get into one of your "moods," life would be simpler ... but no such thing.

Someone else said to me, today, that it's also something of a difference in approach to the game. Some folks, like you, pretty much look at it all with a rather non-serious bit and just do stuff for the thrill and don't worry much about the D&D aspect of it. There is a good chunk of people, however, who take the D&D end of it seriously and have a hard time with someone who doesn't really give a damn about the underlying D&D stuff. I mean think about how many times you've asked me what a particular D&D term meant or whatever ... you're not coming from a D&D background. Some of us are PnP geeks and stuff like that just makes us go "what the hell is with this one? why is he here?" This is not to say that the sit back and raise some hell for the fun of it is a BAD thing ... but there is a big "cultural" difference between this and the people who view NWN as a means to an end for some of that PnP experience ... and a "funny drunk" Ogt often is a monkey wrench to them.

No matter what some may think. we don't want to outlaw evil characters ... but as I said before ... "the game world" trends against evil so an evil character has to take their role seriously and play it out creatively or they come to be viewed as just someone who gets his or her fun wrecking that RP experience with sillyness. I believe your intent isn't to necessarily wreck it for anyone ... but it ends up with that effect.
_________________
Envision something suitably witty here.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.2 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group