DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Someone elses quest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Dama'Landryl
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 3 / 8 EXP: 3 / 8 EXP: 3 / 8
 37%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Someone elses quest Reply with quote

A couple days ago Lord Conrad Hollows was with a large group. They were trying to figure the best way to find & deal with a group of invaders. I asked what this was about but got drowned out by all the other talk. Finally figure out the invaders were the military seen in the crypts the night before.

I offer the services of my party of 2 & say we will start with trolls, "do we need to check the crypts?" Lord Conrad Hollows says you do not need to know that. I ask "Does that mean we are not welcome?" He says that's what it sounds like.

I wasted 15 - 30 minutes because
none of those flaming idiots that knew what was going on
(assuming there were other people as ignorant of the facts as I)
had the guts, nerve, common sense or common courtesy
to TELL me (Big Green Bold Letters standing out in a sea of white)
"I'm sorry this is a private event & your not welcome at this time."
or something else telling me i was wasting my time?

The badger kicked the bucket,
the badger kicked the bucket!
View users profile Send private message
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah people tell me that all tha time, but i just go invisible and follow them anyways icon_biggrin.gif hehe
tall people rarely know how to handle stuff by themselfs so whether or not they want Halfling help, they get it anyways icon_biggrin.gif
Glorin
PostSat 05/03/03 4:39pm
the answer to your problem comes in a simple two words. Pick Pocket.  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Whispers in the wind*

Dama, I have heard others voice similar concerns. If you are excluded from events, it adds to the "clubby" feel and may drive some people to leave the Island. I am not saying that you were excluded (although it sounds like you were). However, to be fair, it is difficult to hear one voice in a crowded room and the gods have many concerns to juggle simultaneously.

Also, I appreciate the point about sneaking around the group, pick pocketing, etc. Good ideas. However, if this is not in your personality ((not part of your rp persona)), this may not be an option.

Although I have no power in the realms ((I'm only a player)), if you want someone to travel with, I would be glad to accompany you. Please do not let this experience sour you.

Tae icon_razz.gif
Ng'ree
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14
 85%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IC- Earedia

Dama I'll second Tae on that, I am usually in a large party but ppl are always welcome as long as they can handle the fun.
Tae when I get some more gold I'll go shopping with you

Gnobi Chaos Moon Clan
Stupidest Gobo on Dyso
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the comment of "you don't need to know that" was not directed at you but directed at another ... there were about 12 people talking all at once as people like to do, it was difficult to tell who was asking for what or needed what.
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dama, I know how you feel. I have tried during many events to involve my character, but I am generaly ignored. The dm's in general don't like me much though, so I kind of expect that. icon_smile.gif

It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience however, and I hope that does not discourage you from playing in the future.

To the dm's credit it is hard to involve everyone, and I suspect going into it they have the parts people will play already in mind, and to keep the story on track they don't seem to diverge from that much.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally do events not by group but by location ... I'll set something up somewhere and often times it's whomever happens to stumble around to it first. Sometimes that person stumbles in a little too fast and I have to tell them to go do something else while I set up. icon_smile.gif Admittedly some groups catch on quicker and/or have people all over the place to act as the eyes and ears of the whole group they are playing with.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stories are based on location, some on a specific character, some on a small group stumbling on something odd, some on a quirky npc we come up with. Rarely do we pick out a specific player just cause we like him, although admittedly having good roleplaying skills draws dm's who are passing by to check up on folks. When you're roleplaying already dm's can sometimes get inspiration from that. So it's partly up to you as player. When we see people just aimlessly running around hacking up skeletons we are less interested than when we spot two crusty dwarves swapping tales in an inn for example.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also my stories are generally keyed to small parties interacting with npc's so for example getting everyone involved in getting a boy back home wouldnt work out properly, nor would a story where a giddy old woman tries to lure a player to her upstairs bedroom where she reveals herself... as something quite different.
Conrad Hollows
PostSun 05/04/03 6:12pm
Damn! Why don't I ever find those giddy Mrs. Robinsons!  Reply with quote

Grok
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was West who had the Mrs. Robinsons quest... icon_lol.gif

And I am sorry if Dama'Landryl felt not wanted, but it is easy to get over looked when a large group is talking. I'll do my best to keep an eye out for such in the future.
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude... an old lady hitting on me who turns into a vampire...

THEN I get into a fight with the innkeeper because I wanted to buy the waitress (his wife) a drink...

Dunge Onmaster can be my Mrs. Robinson anytime. emot-heartbeat.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get mad, smoke a joint! lol....

or better yet, if conrad tells you to piss of IC and you are an evil alignment, get a group of buddies to get revenge, that could be interesting to get him away from people and jump him... hehe, wonder if he would do that though?

or better yet do like i would if i was a rogue... start wildly pick pocketing everyone thats standing around and get out when someone screams theif then when they are start killing each other come back and loot the bodies icon_twisted.gif icon_mrgreen.gif

good stuff ain't it?

just make sure to keep a darkness scroll handy incase you need to get away really quickly....
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edited)

I've been on Dyso for about six weeks. It's cool how so many get excited when a DM event is rumored and how they flock to wherever the event is taking place. Yes, there are many groups on Dyso that party together and spread themselves throughout the land. I travel with them from time to time just to see what others are doing. Thier eyes and ears are always open for strange happenings and DM events. Information spreads quickly among them and they are quick to gather in response. Well and fine. They are an asset to Dyso.

My approach? I make my own events! I generally travel alone, though recently more frequently with a bunch who know how to create our own fun! Our reward is not XP or TREASURE, though the character(s) who are our subjects are sometimes rewarded with treasure, items, easy XP, or (mwwahaha) death! Our reward is found in sharing the enjoyment of RP!

So, you can enjoy highly sought after DM quests and fancy items that can't be bought at the shops, but I'll stick to (often) inspired RP (however raw it may be at times). Admittedly, yesterday was my VERY FIRST experience in a DM quest, one that I simply "stumbled" into. It was quite enjoyable and my character even got a gift from "Santa" (thanks Conrad)! But you know what, although grateful, I would have done it for no reward at all!!!

Good hunts!
Nemor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52
 84%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in countless RP events now. Half-Dragon invasions, Drow assassinations/spies, Killing a Dragon, Vampires, a Lich who stole a gem of Silvanus which, when opened could cause apocalyps.. You name it..

I never ask DM's for one coz I fear im likely to be told to piss off, but still.. I know some hardcore RP'ers so I go along with em now and then looking for something to do.

If you act out your character, get people to tell you stories, meet new people, I guarantee you'll have more RP experiences than being in the Crypts all day icon_biggrin.gif

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Bio - http://www.btinternet.com/~b.russell2k/Shadow.txt
Nemor - Druid
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hurin
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 25 / 30 EXP: 25 / 30 EXP: 25 / 30
 83%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tae wrote:

Dama, I have heard others voice similar concerns. If you are excluded from events, it adds to the "clubby" feel and may drive some people to leave the Island.

icon_idea.gif I hate to say this, but I would have to agree. There are alot of close nit groups that like to do thier own thing. I've seen it happen to people and I've had it done to me, unfortunetly I think it would be like this on any big scale NWN server. It's just one more thing that we all have to work at trying to avoid.

icon_exclaim.gif Oh, and Vurg, if you read this, my little flame is with you, and it does go with the current topic. This is about the gathering when Sir Rapheal paid us a visit. I walked in to the room and you got mad at me for being in wolf form. You said I was ruining the event and it was disrespectful. I disagree. I entered the room in wolf form to hide my appearance from anyone possibly looking for me. As for disrespect, yes possibly it would have been a little disrespectful to the Prince, BUT ONLY IC!!! One thing about Druids, they dont always follow the laws of civilization, and they usually dont follow the same customs. And one more thing, seeing as how I was one of the people Sir Rapheal was looking for SPECIFICLY, I think I had a good reason to hide my appearance. Just make sure you stop and think before you start sending "tells" about someones bad rp, it could be you doing a bad rp job....
AliZee'
PostTue 05/06/03 6:54am
yea that Doggy was with me!!!!  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: