DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Cleric Local Vault Dueling: I want to learn how.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Cleric Local Vault Dueling: I want to learn how. Reply with quote

Prays: Oh Role Playing Gods, Please forgive this indugence of my inner power gamer.

Hi,

I travel a lot from town to town and one thing remains constant.

I stink at dueling.

I'm trying to learn how to duel on the local Vault server. using my present Character Coral Reef but pumped up to level 20 with toolset made gear.

Everyone on these servers is level 20 and has toolset gear.

He's a level 15 Cleric/1 fighter.

I want to make a Cleric that can survive when I take him to fight in the local vault Dueling Worlds.

What levels should I add (I was considering +2 Pal /+1 Fig or +2 Pal +1 Monk??)

What feats should I add?

What spells tactics work well?

Thanks in Advance

Coral Reef.
View users profile Send private message Send email
Glorin
PostTue 05/06/03 8:18pm
spell casters dont do crap in LV cuz smart people are immune to all spells.  Reply with quote

Coral_Reef
PostTue 05/06/03 8:23pm
So there is no hope for a Cleric dueling at all?  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every server has different rules. You almost have to custom tailor your character depening on damage resistance/immunity, spell immunity, regeneration, etc.

Thats why I just plain gave up on LV all together. If I need to custom tailor my character to each server, why not use SV?

Actually, I gave up on LV because I found Dyso. Been my only (almost) server for over 2 months. After the wipe I thought it came into its own. I remember my first day in Dyso. Started at level 5 and was getting 10,000 items from the sewer rats. I figured Id be done with the server soon, until my character was gone and I started on the new version. I like the changes.
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So LV dueling is just an exercise in min/max power gaming implementation?

As a general rule would I be better off just making a Fighter?

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its tough to call. Some servers fighter types rule, some othere the sorc cant be beat. some servers clerics cant be beat. Its really a matter of number crunching/min-maxing/toolset creating madness. If i wanted math Id go to school.
Jilessa
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh...well emm you do have the thing that as long as someone is immune to critical hit and stuff noone can hurt them (they ofcourse have to be immune to the spells)

so you can make your char just specially designed to take anything ,but if you meet someone like that it's gonna be a looooooooong fight....
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, My Uber-Indestructo person is immune to all spells (ALL, glorin, even conjuration... BWAHAHAHA) and all damage... so you're fucked if you fight me in LV, also , be a monk in LV, the SR bug helps icon_biggrin.gif
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudo Wisto
PostTue 05/06/03 10:00pm
Local vault -servers. What a horrible thing... *shivers*  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudo Wisto wrote:
Local vault -servers. What a horrible thing... *shivers*

Drudo,
I agree 100%. I've been on LV servers. Bleh. That's why I'm in still in Dyso.

Tae icon_razz.gif
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since it seems many here hasnt been on a LV server for some time now ill try to help.

MOST LV dueling servers now has no immunity and no regen rules, so Clerics can beat fighterers asses.
Considering a Cleric has a little bit less hp and same ac as fighters (at least strength fighters) but they also have magic (duh)

So, get 1 level of paladins for possible extra saves and the rest as clerics for spells and DC of spells.
Then just stand there with pimped out ac and blast shit at them, and get ALOT of concentration as all fighters use taunt now a days.

But i dont see many clerics and fighters duel either, i bet its cause fighters doesnt stand a chance
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no immune, no regen, standard pvp server. hell some servers are SV and are dueling, auto to 20 when you get in, besides all of that, if you meet the right person, trust me, you wont be able to stop his 15000+ divine damage, too many hackers, too many lamers out there for pvp nowadays, just like the famous "damage rings" ... unblockable damage if you put elemental on it... very fun if you know how to do it, my advice, dont play LV servers if your going in for the purpose of RP PvP... stick to SV or LV RP rooms on gamespy...

too many hackers.... too too many....
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon316 wrote:
no immune, no regen, standard pvp server. hell some servers are SV and are dueling, auto to 20 when you get in, besides all of that, if you meet the right person, trust me, you wont be able to stop his 15000+ divine damage, too many hackers, too many lamers out there for pvp nowadays, just like the famous "damage rings" ... unblockable damage if you put elemental on it... very fun if you know how to do it, my advice, dont play LV servers if your going in for the purpose of RP PvP... stick to SV or LV RP rooms on gamespy...

too many hackers.... too too many....

i just considered something else, if you want some fun pvp, try out a few RP pvp arenas under the RP room if you can find them, not many, but if you can, they are SO much fun, i meet people with the wackiest ideas and characters, and most design their char for RP more than pvp, i met a monk with a 21 ac once, crushed him with my super duper elf dex fighter but he and me rped it all the way, its odd, but if you can find a few thats where you should go, hell, very few people even try to be level 20 on those type servers, so if your level 10 you can find people to fight icon_smile.gif

mostly the arena hackers and type people stick to where the good servers are at, which is action, and arena.

just a spare thought.
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local Vault doesn't suck at all. Mira Conawa and Mara Dedral'uin are wandering around the other worlds having a blast.

Coral, myself, and many others "vacation" to local vault servers all the time. It's good because you spend so much time building a history and personality for a good roleplay character that it is unrealistic that person would never leave the shores of their homeland after achieving heroic status.

Not to mention I have recreated Mira once already on Dyso in server vault. I changed her last name to Kolder when she married the day of the Great Battle and 3.x started. Mara Dedral'uin has been recreated on Arkania and continues her relationships with the other recreated characters she knew in Dysotopia (played by my buddies).

(Hey that reminds me, someone tell Silas that Mara is in Arkania.)

Heres my suggestion for dueling. Create weapons that have multiple damage types. For example bludgeoning and slashing or something. This helps you get thru belts and stuff. Also consider lots of regeneration items and vampiric touch items, especially weapons.

Always have immunity to death and mind affecting spells. Also get immunity to knockdown. For a cleric I would suggest perhaps having a bit of rouge so you can get dodge and sneak attack as well as the ability to cast scrolls and use wands that you otherwise may not be able to use.

That's all,
Angel
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sep, Jilessa, Drudley, Jon, Angel,

Thanks for your input!

How about this for a build.

Cleric 16, Pal 2, Fighter 2

Paladin is for immunites + Charisma bonuses, Fighter is for discipline, weapon specialization.

Or

Cleric 18, Rogue 1, Fighter 1

Or

Cleric 18, Fighter 1, Monk 1

Equipment ((Taken from the PVP FAQ))

Amulet: Ability Bonus: Dexterity [+2]
AC Bonus [+5]
Saving Throw Bonus: Universal [+3]
Skill Bonus: Discipline [+8]

Armor: AC Bonus [+5]
Saving Throw Bonus: Universal [+5]

Belt: Ability Bonus: Strength [+9]

Boots: AC Bonus [+1]
AC Bonus [+5]
Haste
Saving Throws Bonus: Universal [+2]

Cloak: Ability Bonus: Dexterity [+6]
Ability Bonus: Strength [+1]
Spell Resistance [16]

Gloves: Ability Bonus: Dexterity [+2]
Damage Resistance: Bludgeoning [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Piercing [Resist 30 / -]

Helmet: Damage Resistance: Acid [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Cold [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Electrical [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Fire [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Slashing [Resist 30 / -]
Damage Resistance: Sonic [Resist 30 / -]

Ring: Saving Throw Bonus: Universal [+3]
Saving Throw Bonus: Universal [+5]

Ring: AC Bonus [+5]
Improved Evasion
Saving Throw Bonus: Universal [+2]

Shield: AC Bonus [+1]
Regeneration [+5]

Weapon: Attack Bonus [+5]
Damage Bonus: Slashing [2d6 Damage]
Damage Bonus: Sonic [2 Damage]
Keen
Massive Criticals [2d6 Damage]

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you may as well take the elemental damage off your weapon and put in vamp regen. Everyone is going to have all resistances maxed, so its just a waste to put it on your weapon.

Keep in mind that if youre getting it off of a FAQ, then a lot of other people will have the same setup. If youre going to melee vs. melee youre going to be going up against high AC, and with that much cleric your BAB is a lot lower than melee classes, so youll normally have to roll 19-20's just to hit. You dont need a crit range bigger than that.

Darkness is common, so I would give an item true seeing or darkvision.

If youre wearing any kind of armor besides a robe or something youll lose your monk abilities, so keep that in mind when choosing your class.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Pvp Reply with quote

Another thought Coral, instead of using all that crap, how about using this for a setup?

Make 4 items like this

just be a fighter and maybe paladin...

Ring,Ring,Amulet,Belt

Four items, all part of stuff, put +5 universal saving throws on them, that will give you a 20+ bonus to all saving throws which is as much as you can get in NWN

on those items put some other stuff

Amulet like this: 5+ AC, 5+ Uni Saves, +7 (any skill)

On one of the rings put this: +3 (stat) +5 Uni Saves, +3 (skill)

that makes a 10 in any skill if you put both in say concentration, the MAXIMUM bonus for a skill is +30 from its base + or - primary stat that boosts it...

ok so goes like this, make sure to have main stat + con maxed out, that gives staying power in a fight, if 14 base con then 24 maximum con, it will give 100+hit die... everytime, if a fighter with 260 hp gets a +10 con item his hp goes upto 360

anyways, upto you, just make sure to have conc, disc both maxed out, that should be at least +60 skills you have to spend on items to max them out, anyways whatever... just a tip, best way is to figure out whats good for you and your char, a build i am going to recommend is this

elf 15 fighter 2 paladin 3 rogue... fairly decent in melee, same with 17 barb 3 fighter, standard fighters, nothing extraordinary but still fairly decent... also i would suggest if your in a server that strips spell school immunes, play a gnome 19 sorc 1 paladin, maximum hp and spells...
ultra fun if a low will fighter has no mind immune and you stun his ass for 30 minutes while he is torn apart...

later.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best fun in LV is as a rogue, just rob everyone with chain pickpocket grab all their precious items, drpo them all over the arena floor and keep at it until they boot you
View users profile Send private message
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont work, they can remove skills on join or make them set at 0 so you cant pp, or make it when you steal stuff auto return to user, or it can simply put you in jail, thats the old days before everyone knew how to script, pick pocket in an arena anymore is impossible, trust me, i have been to the higher quality ones and you cant do it... lol
Jilessa
Master

XP
EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20 EXP: 9 / 20
 45%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it like i'm going to do it on dyso sV

one lvl paladin and 19 lvl cleric...

But have lots of Cha for this to be of any use at all...

forinstance:
str 16
con 12
dex 12
int 8
cha 14
wis 15

i think that would be right...?

anyway..then add all 5 points to wis and you'll have decent spell DC

And with the one lvl paladin you'll get a possible +7 to all saving throws...
(if you get lucky on the Cha boost and you have a cloak of cha +5)

so anyway...Kinda unoriginal since it's almost the same as i have ,but i've found that i really like the extra saving throws and cha makes for good rp icon_smile.gif

And the Int isn't that important if you forinstance screw spellcraft... cuz you'll only get two skill points pr lvl
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...roleplay view then? With an INT score of 8, you can't speak proeprly. icon_neutral.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Malakalam
PostThu 05/08/03 6:08am
haha! I wons! You losted! You wants go get foods now?  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostThu 05/08/03 6:14am
Haha! icon_lol.gif

Powergamers are really amusing, don't you think?

Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a character that talks like that though, its kinda fun. granted, with an int of 6, he probably shouldnt have been talking at all.. just sorta grunting and stuff.
Coral_Reef
PostThu 05/08/03 7:52pm
Thanks for all the great replies!

You guys are the greatest!

*smiles*

Coral Reef

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome, just make sure to kick some ass for me alright? Especially if you see Kental.

Hahahahaha
Poor Kental, we always seemed to meet in the action arenas and kill each other or be obnoxious to no end... icon_razz.gif

(Oh no, he was a rogue with skill focus pick pocket... ;0

lalalala

Have fun Coral...
See you around the world maybe.
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question,

What's your favorite local vault server. Jon mentioned RP LV servers in a previous post.

I think it might be kind of fun if a big bunch of us went to a LV server together?

Coral Reef
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly most of the good lv rp servers are gone, one was lemme think, realms of eternity, another was world of fantasia i think, another was war of the worlds, one is inn of the drunken skalds, another was valeshades pvp tavern, one was lands of abyss, one was the 666th layer of the abyss, another i cant remember and there were about 10 more that were good that most are all gone anyways, lemme see, i COULD recommend some good servers to play on, but i wont list those here, most are action servers i have tried and ranked a good adventure, some are ranked perfect adventure, whatever, depends on what i liked, and while you may not like it, you never know, send me a PM and i will list a couple.. (thousand) that you can play, only problem is i dont know if they still exist, most have either had a vault wipe or went away, and ontop of all that, i dont play NWN much anymore, i am too busy to play these games anymore like i used to play 24/7, say i got a real life if you will, anyways, peace..
Celestial_Evil
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19
 21%
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Tweaked Characters Reply with quote

Just remember that most of the characters in local vaults have an AC of about 170 even thought the scripts in the server are supposed to check for illegal characters there is a way to give the character a natural amor of 100 which stacks with the normal armor class, if you wish to know more about the subject just ask me, i wrote a tutorial on that about 5 months ago just need to check if it still works, maybe they have changed the scripts already.
View users profile Send private message
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nothing new about leto or ITP celestial, natural armor is weak, i knew some jerk who made some good items that hit for 155k a wack and he set his ac at a perfect 60 just so he wouldnt be caught for cheating, but the funny thing was that it was all natural armor, meaning he didnt need anything like amulets boots ect, and hacking is nothing new, anyone can set their natural ac to 255 or higher with ITP, it's pie basically, just change a small figure and save and start cheating until your banned, or be legit fid a real combo and become a legend... heh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: