DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

whats a fella gotta do to be evil around here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: whats a fella gotta do to be evil around here? Reply with quote

I need a DM to have a lich king make me his personal "destoryer of good" this way i wont be gettting flake when i do evil things icon_twisted.gif
Raven
PostWed 05/07/03 8:45pm
It's very difficult to be evil cause you have to make sure it's IC. And people tend to take insults/pks and such personally.  Reply with quote

gaea106
PostWed 05/07/03 9:23pm
Hmm, I suggest you befriend Xaiver. He is the truest evil and best roleplayer of it. Follow his lead.  Reply with quote

Everysummers Daze
PostWed 05/07/03 9:28pm
I'm the evilest MF here, ask anyone.  Reply with quote

Raven
PostWed 05/07/03 10:02pm
I don't know, Xavier and his gang attcked me once without any notice. That's pretty average and pk-like.  Reply with quote

Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Raven, that's the only time you've ever been attacked.

And it wasn't my "idea day" that day. Catch me on Sundays and Thursdays if you want to see what kind of work I come up with.

Heh, and I don't think Zak will turn to me, he was PK'd in one of the "Player Events" I was doing where I fake being a druid and tell people to stop attacking the trolls.

icon_confused.gif He didn't listen or even respond, so as a "Neutral Evil Druid" I killed him for not "complying with the whims of mother nature."

EDIT portion

It's pretty simple to be evil, but you have to understand that there are three types of evil. Of course the three alignment evils, (Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil and Neutral Evil), but there are 'sub categories' for the characters to fall in.

The first of these sub categories is probably the most common "Radical Evil." Radical Evils are people that look for ways to kill relentlessly, regaurdless of who it is and with no planning up to the point of the target's demise. They also walk around saying they're evil alot, you know, stealing people's souls (Darkovn) and doing mass PK fests (Rumanos). It's the easiest one to play if you've got no whims to people, or if you're Chaotic Evil (Comes natural if you're CE). An example of Radical Evil is Sarevok from the Baldur's Gate series, or Attila The Hun in 7th(?) Century B.C.

The second sub category of evil is the "Subtle Evil." These evils are mostly political type figureheads and leaders of organizations. Where a Radical Evil looks for ways to kill without plan, the Subtle Evil finds a way to do more to a person than just kill them, and more often than not they do ALOT of planning. This is the most difficult evil to play because it requires a long thought process that commonly disagrees with whatever psychological ideals the player has. An example of a Subtle Evil is Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars, or Jon Irenicus from the Baldur's Gate series.

The third and final sub category of evil is the "Cliché Evil." Cliché evils run off a simple ideal, "Take a situationa and look at it carefully. Do what your mind tells you not to do." Cliché Evils, like Radical Evils, are very well spoken and thought of in a very lowly manner. Cliché Evil examples include any Disney Movie villains.
View users profile Send private message
Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say that the last two "evil"s are alot easier and much move loved than the first. I would much rather have a nemesis who masterminds and plots to overthrow a government or guild through bribes and assassination than some guy who just runs around killing people. The first type of evil is dangerously close to simply being a PK-pain-in-the-... And mastering it requires alot of skill and serious commitment to stay in character. Darkvon does it pretty well, but looks like a mental patient rather than an immortal evil creature... icon_confused.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
 15%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkovn falls in line as a Radical Evil. He's made himself an in character reason to kill people: Eat their souls/life-force/whatever so he can stay existant in the mortal realm.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice summary, X.

The best advice I can give to anyone playing evil is that you have to step up with the RP. You need to talk it up, you need to demonstrate the degrees of self-absorption or delusional thoughts, etc. Anyone who wants to play the radical evil needs to keep this very much in mind because it will make the difference between playing evil and being respected as someone who plays a "good" evil character or just being a lameass PKer. Talking to the players OOC in tells also helps, so they know more or less what is up, etc ... granted you will get some asses who go nuts on you if you try to explain to them you are an evil character, etc etc ... but those people then are being nearly as bad as being the PKer they think you may be.

Also, and this is a BIG also, the evil characters really do need to show some restraint. As the CROE dictates ... if you get them, it's over ... unless they come back looking for trouble again and attack you. Then sure, by all means defend yourself ... but once you get them once, sure you can talk smack, but show some restraint and leave it at that. Maybe you can bait them into coming after you again with your talking ... but don't go looking for them to kill again if you've already blasted them once. Of course if they invite you into the arena or the Pit, then you can kill each other any damn time you wanna. icon_smile.gif

The restraint does "limit" evil a bit ... but as I have said before ... the world itself tilts against evil, generally, so evil is going to have more limitations than good. It is also essentially one of the easiest ways for evil players to be able to play evil and not catch hell for it. It's a tradeoff ... and no one ever said it was easy being evil. Rampant killing and such without supporting dialogue and player communication almost ALWAYS leads to bitching and moaning, and generally speaking rulings will come down against the killers. No one knows what it's like to be the sad man, to be the bad man ... behind blue eyes. icon_smile.gif
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
 15%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Conrad, especially with the tilting against thing.

I'm always being biased towards by good-aligned folk, heck, just tonight I was talked to by Kyra about PK'ing. Apparently Vurg had decided that I killed him without a word the other night, when I hardly EVER kill someone without roleplaying it.

However, with the tilt thing, I see absolutely no restraint on good-aligned characters. None. Especially the OSB, who can apparently march out of town on a tell about someone being killed and gang up on one person without saying a single word to them. Why? "It's justice."

Heh, not meaning to talk down to the entire OSB, Muric is about the only one of you I respect actually ... the rest of you are just haphazard, free-as-birds paladins who can slay "evil" and "wrongdoers" just as we have slayed you, simply in the name of justice.

Meh, go figure.

Peeps, be careful and NEVER work alone if you're evil. If you aren't evil, keep in mind the crap we evil people are getting from good-aligned and neutral-aligned players all the time.

EDIT: Concering part II of the post, the area concerning Kyra and Vurg. I've yet to kill Vurg.
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world will be alot easier if we had more James Bond style bad guys instead of Hannibal Lecter styled bad guys. Isn't there any LAWFUL evil characters around here? I mean truly lawful evil. For example, bribing, plotting assassinations, building a giant ray gun so it could be used to SHOVE UP DARKVON'S -

j/k Darkvon. Raven loves ya. Merry me. icon_mrgreen.gif
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
 15%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Raven, who's saying that type of Lawful Evil isn't around?

I'm around. I'm Lawful Evil. I bribe, assassinate, and at times I attempt to invent the required technology to create a giant raygun to shove up Darkovn's ---.

Of course, you don't know about all my little behind-the-curtain acts. You're infront of the curtain. icon_biggrin.gif
Raven
PostThu 05/08/03 2:57am
I'm in front of the curtain, but these babies *points to twirly x-ray glasses* allows me to see... nothing *bows head*.  Reply with quote

Malakalam
PostThu 05/08/03 2:58am
Part of the problem with trying to be lawful evil is a distinct lack of any law. Its very hard to take advantage of something that doesn't exsist.  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the fact that it's lawful evil doesn't necessarily make it dependent to laws. Being lawful evil is actually a personality, not an obligation to defy the law.
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but I'm just saying the evil lawyer type of evil that Zufal plays is very hard to do on this server. -- obligation to defy the law? only the spirit of the law perhaps. Of course, if one was making the laws, you wouldn't even have to go against the spirit of the law. Lawful evil is very much about control, and laws are a very good way to control people.

Zufal is probably the best example of lawful evil, but I'm not sure if that character survived the wipe, heh.
Raven
PostThu 05/08/03 3:04am
Unless his character is a re-incarnation of Neo, I doubt it.  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Rampant killing and such without supporting dialogue and player communication almost ALWAYS leads to bitching and moaning, and generally speaking rulings will come down against the killers.

Well said, Conrad. Except for one small detail... people are so attached to their hard-earned XP that many are liable to complain no matter what, and some who hold OOC power seem to sympathize with them (not referring to you).

In the words of Roger Daltry... Who are you... who, who?
zak_fel
Hero

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need the backing of the DMs to be able to fully roleplay evil characters.

Thats a fact!

since conrad has taken on the mantle of being the "good" DM, theres a need for another to take responsibility for us evil folks.

Allowing us to role play our characters, without crossing any lines
Uin
PostThu 05/08/03 12:15pm
If you really must kill someone, just take a detour to the pit.  Reply with quote

Cherrn
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35 EXP: 23 / 35
 65%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakalam wrote:
I know, but I'm just saying the evil lawyer type of evil that Zufal plays is very hard to do on this server. -- obligation to defy the law? only the spirit of the law perhaps. Of course, if one was making the laws, you wouldn't even have to go against the spirit of the law. Lawful evil is very much about control, and laws are a very good way to control people.

Zufal is probably the best example of lawful evil, but I'm not sure if that character survived the wipe, heh.

Oh he did survive the wipe Malakalam icon_biggrin.gif
Right now he's hiding somewhere, plotting, scheeming and doing what lawful evil guys do without killing people icon_razz.gif

Above mentioned translates into me studying for the exams so I don't get online much, I do spend time on the boards however. I will be back when I passed the first exam next wednesday.

Zufal- Founder of the Obsidian Order in the name of Bane the Ultimate Tyrant- Human Monk

Irekean the Crimson Flame- Paladin in the service of the Flamelord Kossuth- Human Paladin
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak_fel wrote:
You'll need the backing of the DMs to be able to fully roleplay evil characters.

Thats a fact!

since conrad has taken on the mantle of being the "good" DM, theres a need for another to take responsibility for us evil folks.

I completely agree with this statement. In fact I have found this to be the case in Arkania.

icon_exclaim.gif Imagine this I am going to be the evil DM.

Want to hear something funny? The good and neutral characters on Arkania complain that the evil characters are overbalanced and favored there.

We have several DM's that roleplay demi-gods that only favor particular alignments. It's so strict that the ignore characters that aren't their alignment (during events and roleplay). This is sort of similar to Conrad's Lord Hollows character and the affiliation with the OSB.

I have been asked to roleplay the arch nemisis of the most prominent DM. She favors only Chaotic Good characters and has quite a following of players. She has asked that I play an evil Character of some sort and collect a following to roleplay against her and her group.

Falkor has been quite helpful as I try to come up with a good storyline for the first large event. I will be a chaotic evil DM and will most likely take the vampire cult as my prominent following.

My player character is poised to go demi-god and cause chaos, she is a power hungry sorceress and conquerer with a large group of lackeys in the vampire world already.

This ought to be a lot of fun. icon_biggrin.gif I will let you know how it goes.

Angel
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zak_fel
Hero

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaea106 wrote:
zak_fel wrote:

Thats a fact!

I completely agree with this statement. In fact I have found this to be the case in Arkania.

icon_exclaim.gif Imagine this I am going to be the evil DM.

Want to hear something funny? The good and neutral characters on Arkania complain that the evil characters are overbalanced and favored there.

We have several DM's that roleplay demi-gods that only favor particular alignments. It's so strict that the ignore characters that aren't their alignment (during events and roleplay). This is sort of similar to Conrad's Lord Hollows character and the affiliation with the OSB.

I have been asked to roleplay the arch nemisis of the most prominent DM. She favors only Chaotic Good characters and has quite a following of players. She has asked that I play an evil Character of some sort and collect a following to roleplay against her and her group.

Falkor has been quite helpful as I try to come up with a good storyline for the first large event. I will be a chaotic evil DM and will most likely take the vampire cult as my prominent following.

My player character is poised to go demi-god and cause chaos, she is a power hungry sorceress and conquerer with a large group of lackeys in the vampire world already.

This ought to be a lot of fun. icon_biggrin.gif I will let you know how it goes.

Angel

a big bird lays a big egg
what would a small bird lay?

Last edited by zak_fel on Thu May 08, 2003 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

zak_fel wrote:

Pick me!!
my reputation speaks for itself!!
ask anyone if they had their ass kicked by the ZAK!!
odds are, they will say "yeah..that dude kick me ass real good"

PLUS!! im so arrogant and overbearing, people just love to hate me!!
icon_twisted.gif

Pick you for what? This is on Arkania (not Dyso) ... do you play there? What are you talking about? I am so confused at this point....

Angel

Last edited by gaea106 on Thu May 08, 2003 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zak_fel
PostThu 05/08/03 5:53pm
your gonna do this for dyso???

oh thats just dany... icon_twisted.gif

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I started playing my evil drow, I have noticed a major increase in the enjoyability of my gameplay. For one, EVERYONE notices me... which is a spark for role play. Even the lame-o power gamers take notice by saying DROW, KILL THE DROW!! Well... I take that spark and light fires. I use my evil ways to get others to RP better and thus far it is worked extremely well. I have enjoyed it (even though I have died probably about 8 times simply because of all those 'good' doers) icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
Quote:

If you really must kill someone, just take a detour to the pit.

Uh, Uin? You wouldn't happen to be OSB, would you?

Last edited by not_so_unique on Thu May 08, 2003 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
Kindo
PostThu 05/08/03 8:18pm
Haha! He is! icon_razz.gif  Reply with quote

Uin
PostThu 05/08/03 8:49pm
Remind me precisely what that has to do with anything?  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Lawful Evil or any type of Lawful i interpret Lawful not just as simply abiding by the laws set forth by the governments etc. But i see Laws as another word for restrictions. Laws that your character would have to deal with do not just have to be whatever Lord Kraven says, it can also be if your in the Emerald Caverns and someone's fighting the Twins and your character faces the choice of swiping the key or not even when the person fighting it has asked for the key when they are killed, This is a restriction and this is part of the definition of Laws as i see it.
Lawful Characters would obey the restrictions set forth and not steal the key, because that would be going against the laws set forth. However the second part of their alignment does play a part in that decision. A Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral would most likely let the other character get the key with no debate, for he had worked for it. A Lawful Evil character on the other hand would try to convince the other character to let him have the key or simply go invisible and swipe it, leaving him free from blame because he was not seen doing it. Lawful Evil only breaks the laws, restrictions when they have the oppurtunity to do so without being caught.

Neutral Evil Characters would try and convince the other character and if that failed they would try going invisible or pickpocketting the key off of the other char, and if that failed they would simply swipe it or kill the other character. Neutral Evil work with the law or against it, they are Free Evil.
Chaotic Evil Characters in this situation would break all laws without consideration, he would either kill the other character and swipe the key, swipe the key and run away or kill the other character, or if he wasn't quick enough he'd pickpocket (if possible) or Kill the other character. There would be valid RP justification imo in all the cases where the character who worked for the key dies.

(I got this example from some post Messiah made asking how to play Evil, i thought it was a good representation of a situation where all evils would be at their best)
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: