DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Campaign Proposal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

I urge all player to...

Not lvl at all. Its boring, torture, repressive, headache inducing. Why lvl up, it is not fun. Simple.

We play games to have fun, Dysos content is no longer that, but the players are. Being pimp is fun, satisfying, but the process is not.

XP should be given in large rewards, nothing should be a chore. Challenge should exist, challenge is exciting, but derogatory bashing should not, be social.

I urge all players to stay at lvl 1 so we're all the same. icon_surprised.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
PostTue 05/20/03 7:28pm
Aye... Level 1 PvP ownz!!! emot-yum.gif

Poor mages...

Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 7:33pm
This is entirely serious, before anyone asks.  Reply with quote

Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never expected to hear such elloquence from the hardass himself! Don't tell me you're getting soft on us Uin! icon_eek.gif

smokin.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be the same as you. I want to be strong enough to pound you into the ground, or, learn from the pounding you give me how to become stronger.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 8:24pm
You know what I mean, be whatever you like, its basically no fun no play.  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a rant? I thought it was common, accepted knowledge coming from Uin. icon_lol.gif

Have to agree that leveling IS torture... especially after about level 15. But what you ask is impossible because there will always be someone who doesn't mind doing it and then they will own us! Nope, gotta have a balance of both. Level when you're not feeling especially creative and in the mood to RP and of course RP the rest (majority) of the time. Of course, if you're in good with da DMs then you can just shmooz some XP icon_mrgreen.gif ... but that ain't me! icon_redface.gif

BTW- Is Cleo getting any good use outta that firey axe? weirdlook.gif
View users profile Send private message
Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
I urge all player to...

Not lvl at all. Its boring, torture, repressive, headache inducing. Why lvl up, it is not fun. Simple. ...

Just because it's not "fun" for you doesn't mean it's not for the rest of us. Of course lvls after 15 is boring, torture, repressive and so on, and that's why it's respectable. Working out is not a walk in the park either. It's a test to the player's patience and tenacity. Just because you don't have the patience to do it doesn't mean others should stop too.

Why would we be the same? We are not the same in real life! What kind of a repetitive, uniform and communist world dyso would be if we were all the same? Heck, why have character creation then? Why not just take a template and let everyone have the exact same stats, equipment and name?

A pure RP server would not be as fun.
View users profile Send private message Send email
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not forcing you to do or think anything, we shouldn't have a balance between going thru crap then fun, then crap again. The lvl 1 thing is just a protest.

DYSO MUST BE FUN!!!

IF DYSO IS NOT FUN, WHY PLAY???
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Uin wrote:
I urge all player to...

Not lvl at all. Its boring, torture, repressive, headache inducing. Why lvl up, it is not fun. Simple. ...

Just because it's not "fun" for you doesn't mean it's not for the rest of us. Of course lvls after 15 is boring, torture, repressive and so on, and that's why it's respectable. Working out is not a walk in the park either. It's a test to the player's patience and tenacity. Just because you don't have the patience to do it doesn't mean others should stop too.

Why would we be the same? We are not the same in real life! What kind of a repetitive, uniform and communist world dyso would be if we were all the same? Heck, why have character creation then? Why not just take a template and let everyone have the exact same stats, equipment and name?

2 Things..
1st. NWN is a game, games are supposed to be fun. FUN... NOT hard work..
2nd. The higher you get up levelwise the more diverse players can be (because they're given more choices on the creation/evolution of their chars)
Glorin
PostTue 05/20/03 9:44pm
damn right, the dutch and the scottish do have some sense afterall.  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin, I know where you're coming from. I can only take about an hour of "leveling" at a time. At this rate, my character will likely never advance in levels as I now spend about 90% of my time on Dyso in RP. I really don't know how those who have made it to level 20 were able to endure it (unless they got there with RP XP... which doesn't look likely for my char because he isn't "high profile").

I will say that if Dyso were no fun, I wouldn't still be playing.

BTW- how does Cleo like the flaming axe? Care to sell?
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

2 Things..
2nd. The higher you get up levelwise the more diverse players can be (because they're given more choices on the creation/evolution of their chars)

1- Fun in what way? If fun is all we aim for then why not just give 19 lvls upon entry? Wouldn't that be fun?

2- Exactly.
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
DYSO MUST BE FUN!!!

IF DYSO IS NOT FUN, WHY PLAY???

Exactly. Dyso is fun, I play. And I see no problem with the current XP system. I didn't have problems with the XP system before either. In fact it's a little too easy now.
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 9:56pm
I'm not talking about the XP system, although scrapping the whole things would be a start.  Reply with quote

Raven
PostTue 05/20/03 9:57pm
There is logic in the Xp system because you become good at what you do by doing them over and over.  Reply with quote

Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 9:59pm
Over and over, yawn, not fun.  Reply with quote

gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

Nefiorim wrote:

2 Things..

Well, I agree that it should be fun. I understand what Uin is saying.

I think there are basically two types of gamers:

1) People that play games for fun. Never being able to achieve the highest level or "end" of the game is really frustrating for these people. They don't want to work to hard at getting to the "end", but will if it is fun all the way there.

2) People that play for the challenge of beating the game. These will go through hell to get to the "end", the longer it takes and harder it is the more satisfaction they get from the game. (basically bragging rights or power trip? don't understand it)

I think what has happened here is the server has changed from one that attracts the people that play for fun to a server that attracts the people that play for challenge. Now is this good or bad? Neither. It just is.

But I will tell you all this much. I went to Arkania, which is similar to what Dyso 2.x was (a fun server). You can level up to level 20 in a really long day if you wanted to. But you know what? I have two characters and neither is above level 16. I roleplay too much to train.

I could get to level 20 in about 5 hours or less... but I spend probably 6 hours of roleplay to 1 hour of training... so getting there will be difficult and challenging enough for me. The fun part of it is that I know that I CAN get to level 20 when I choose to.

And the other fun part is that I am intentionally not training a character because her being less experienced is a big part of the roleplay right now. When she gets to level 20 it will be extremely rewarding because I will have put alot of time and effort into building her character and story. And once she hits level 20, it doesn't stop there. Arkania has a system where once you get over level 20 there are still bonuses and stuff you can get when you hit certain xp markers. You get stat boosts and stuff. So there will be plenty for me to do for months to come with one character. And the key is it will be FUN not frustrating and tedious...

Angel
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaign Proposal Reply with quote

gaea106 wrote:

1) People that play games for fun. Never being able to achieve the highest level or "end" of the game is really frustrating for these people. They don't want to work to hard at getting to the "end", but will if it is fun all the way there.

2) People that play for the challenge of beating the game. These will go through hell to get to the "end", the longer it takes and harder it is the more satisfaction they get from the game. (basically bragging rights or power trip? don't understand it)

Why is one type of player superior than the other?
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 10:06pm
She never said one was superior.  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
Over and over, yawn, not fun.

Some people play games for fun, other for the challenge AND to have fun. If you can't meet the challenge, then there is no point dragging everyone else back with you. You can still have fun. You just don't have to impose your vision of "fun" to everyone else.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin I think that your idea would be absolutely fantastic IF there were a LOAD more Dm's that played on a regular basis. I mean, lots more. That way everyone has equal opportunity to earn xp from role playing. But, if I were to say that nobody were to level, then I most definately think that everyone should be at level... 8 and that's it.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 10:08pm
I play for challenge and fun. BUT THERE IS NO FUN!  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
She never said one was superior.

Natually if she doesn't understand the second type, it means that she belongs to the first, and would not consider that type INFERIOR.
Uin
PostTue 05/20/03 10:10pm
Your reading too much into it.

Pure assumption.

Last edited by Uin on Tue May 20, 2003 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxBoyTails wrote:
Uin I think that your idea would be absolutely fantastic IF there were a LOAD more Dm's that played on a regular basis. I mean, lots more.

I don't think I'd feel confortable playing knowing that there is always someone watching your every move. Reminds me of I984.
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
Your reading too much into it.

Pure assumption.

It doesn't exclude the possibility that she meant it. It doesn't matter anyway, since it won't change much in the debate.
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

No look neither is superior. It just is that way. Of course the second type of player gets some fun and satisfaction from the game. It is just at a level and for a different reason.

I myself am playing more for relaxing and socializing than anything else. I am not out to torture myself to get to a certain level. I have gotten to the last level of many games and not felt the need to finish.

It's the journey for me, not the end result.

Angel
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uin
Hardass

XP
 51%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a conversation I had eariler:

Matthijs says:
Uin says:
.?
Matthijs says:
that's the number of high skeletall knights i needed to kill to get from 17 to 18
Uin says:
lol
Matthijs says:
that's absurd
Matthijs says:
692?!

DYSO IS NOT FUN!!!
ppl are calcuating kill numbers, ARHG!!!
dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, make it easy to get to lvl 20 again, give away XP for free like in 2.x, and then we can all do some great RP again. Like all the superb rped wars in 2.x "w3 totally 0wn3d joo! I'mso uber! I'm the toughest fighter on the server! We're the strongest guild! Baa! Mine is longer than yours! My girlfriend is a jpeg!"
Honestly, one major effect of the new XP/leveling system is that a lot of players that I absolutely don't miss left Dyso, and I'm glad they did...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants, and Flames - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: