DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Grumbles

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Grumbles Reply with quote

Now I am pissed because I picked up a 2.3ghz motherboard and case and after installing all my other hardware after taking it out of my current machine, I find out the damn thing won't boot. I can't even get a CMOS setup screen with it which I should get with nothing else attached other than some power and a monitor ... bah. Fraggin' pieces o' crap ... I blame myself for not being able to leave well enough alone and for not testing for a CMOS response on the damn thing before I took everything else apart only to have to put it all back together again so I actually had a functional computer.
Little Teapot
PostSat 06/28/03 1:55am
*pats the big C on the shoulder*  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a 2.3GHz MOTHERBOARD?!?!

icon_wink.gif

Ain't new hardware installs just grand sometimes? I went 4 months once wondering why my brand spankin' new system would suddenly just reboot for no apparent reason - and I mean I tried EVERYTHING to fix it - then a friend noticed I'd mounted one of the corners of the mainboard too close to the plate, and it was shorting out. icon_mad.gif icon_lol.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:[ I want to share my hardware woes too.. I recently got a 40Gb harddrive, everything correct..jumper settings, wiring, BIOS settings etc, double, triple, quadruple checked.... sadly.. no go icon_cry.gif . Its still sitting in there now alongside the Master, and all that happens is that my boot up takes 10mins longer. cussing.gif

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Shadowleaf
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65
 1%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of a motherboard having a rating in ghz... wha tdo u mean by 2.3 ghz motherboard? also, you are aware that the processor and ram must be compatible right?
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowleaf wrote:
never heard of a motherboard having a rating in ghz... wha tdo u mean by 2.3 ghz motherboard? also, you are aware that the processor and ram must be compatible right?

No offence man, but you really come off as a smart ass on this reply- the guy is already frustrated, it seems as if this is rubbing it in. You know what he means - 2.3 ghz processor; 2.3 ghz mobo is the same principal.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Nemor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52
 84%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, BT is screwing me over and over and over and over (you get the picture)

I'm able to connect now and then and I get on for half an hour if I'm lucky then the modem turns yellow (no signal from host).

This is due to a faulty box BT once installed in everyone of their clients homes, an engineer came out to fix it, claimed he did. He told me I was lucky it lasted so long and the boxes were faulty as hell. Anyway, he fixed it and 2 days later I get the same damn thing.

I can't stay on long enough to bother switching my pc on anymore, it's bloody pathetic.

I HATE YOU BT.

Anyway, anyone thinking of BT either don't and get Zen or Freeserve, or if you HAVE to have BT, get the plug and play and not the box installation. Coz it's absolute WANK. (pardon my french but im a little miffed about this).

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Bio - http://www.btinternet.com/~b.russell2k/Shadow.txt
Nemor - Druid
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah damn it....i was cookin up some Darjaling tea and tha tea pot started shistling so i had to rush off tha keyboard and my foot hit my computer and it fell over and made this loud bang as it hit tha ground....
i hope its not f'd up

[quote:076179584b="Ogt"]farts leave the athmosfere because they have their OWN WILL, they are TIRED of being farts, and decieded that they would make their OWN PLANETS!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
GOLD!!!
View users profile Send private message
Griff Inn
PostSat 06/28/03 6:46pm
Was the tea nice?

Griff

Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Grumbles Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:
Now I am pissed because I picked up a 2.3ghz motherboard and case and after installing all my other hardware after taking it out of my current machine, I find out the damn thing won't boot. I can't even get a CMOS setup screen with it which I should get with nothing else attached other than some power and a monitor ... bah. Fraggin' pieces o' crap ... I blame myself for not being able to leave well enough alone and for not testing for a CMOS response on the damn thing before I took everything else apart only to have to put it all back together again so I actually had a functional computer.

ok check the power suply.. is it properly connected to the motherbord
are the case connector righly connected.

remove the floppy drive!!! if you have it connected the wrong way some mother wont boot

turn the power on.

does
1) led in the front light up
2) hard drives spins..
3) the fan (cpu) is spinning
4) You CAN'T hear BIPS BIPS..

if you can say yes to the 4 above...
not likely a hard problem. may be the fsb is vrongly set depending of your cpu, and a jumper in your MB

that's all i can think off right now icon_smile.gif
Shadowleaf
PostSat 06/28/03 7:48pm
well why dont u give me more detailed specs? like front side bus speed, ram type/speed, cpu type/speed... all those really matter  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well, I got it running, but it's not running as well as it should be ... at least _I_ don't think so. I was initially having some issues with my broadband, but I licked that much of it ... looks like my old 10/100 driver/adapter was still trying to do its thing while the new one was also doing its thing ... diabled the old, took care of that. Still, however, the video/refresh rates seem to be off a hair ... let me try to explain ...

I'm using the same PCI Radeon 7200 32mb card I was using on my old 1.3mhz Duron, brought over a 256m SDRAM from the old machine as well (to go with the 256 mb SDRAM on the board already -- total 512mb). Brought over my dual 40gig Maxtors, and my DVD drive and CD-ROM drive, etc, etc ... all hooked in and all seem to be functioning just fine.

As was said, heh, it was a misspeak ... it's not a 2.3ghz board, it's a 533 P4 board with a 2.3ghz Celeron processor. Before ... on the Duron, using NWN as an example, the intro videos with the BioWare/Wizards of the Coast logos and all that ... they'd fade in and out seemlessly. Now, it's almost like you can see the screen updating itself with overlays. Video itself, like with Windows Media Player and such works fine and all, it's just somewhat sluggish (in my view) when looking at something like NWN's stuff and also opening an app for two, especially right after a boot. It actually seems to improve in load times once its been running for a couple of minues, but if you try to access something right after the boot, it seems like you are waiting forever for it to kick into gear ... once it gets going, it's fine, but that initial laggishness is somewhat of a bummer. The choppier video is more annoying to me, however.

The board came with an onboard video setup which, and as most of them are when it comes to NWN, is crap. I have that not being initialized in BIOS and things going thru the PCI Radeon and thus that part of it is working fine. The only things I can think of to explain the "somewhat sluggishness" at points is one of three things ...

1) The front end bus speed of 533mhz is overwhelming the Radeon card (or vice versa, older/slower Radeon causing the mainboard to choke up somewhat)

2) The SDRAM is too slow, as this board has 4 chip bays ... 2 SDRAM, 2 DDR ... the SDRAM is obviously in use at the moment.

3) I've got something set wrong in BIOS ... I've turned off/down everything related to the AGP setup like shared memory because the onboard AGP is not in use, told bios to allocate IRQ to PCI VGA, but then there's a mess of other settings which don't seem to make a difference no matterhow I have them set ... like AGP 1x, 2x, 4x ... which I suppose makes sense if the AGP isn't being initialized in the first place, but then there's stuff for the SDRAM and DIMM info which I have set to auto, and then theres like stuff for PCI IDE Busmaster, thought maybe that had something to do with load times but that doesn't seem to make a difference enabled or disabled, think I have it enabled currently.

Here's the specifics off the side of the box for the motherboard ...

P4-925ALMU fsb533
FormFactor MicroATX
Chipset VIA P4M266A/8235
VGA/Audio Yes/Yes
Modem/LAN CNR/Yes
DIMM/DDR 2/2
USB 2.0 Yes
ISA/PCI/AGP/CNR 0/2/1/1
Y

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) PCI bus is fixed 66mhz
2) nope neither
3) very likely

=> very likely it is due to driver / bios revison
to avoid driver conflict a fresh install of the os is advisable

install a fresh xp use latest via driver
check your manual to see if there is a jumper setting for P4/celleron setting
(i might be saying some stupid but i dont thing celleron are running the 533fsb)
disable intrenal sound disable internal modem, lan etc...

AGP 1x, 2x, 4x <= you can put it to x1 is does not have any influence anyway

well ... i trully hope you'll get lucky.
I for my self try so stay away from mb with internal graphx (always had some trouble with them ) icon_confused.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCI bus = 33 MHz icon_wink.gif

Also I've noticed in NWN that with every new install it acts differently, regardless of drivers etc.
It's quite weird actually, never seen it before.
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as an addendum I took out my SDRAM and put in DDR ... also took out the PCI video and put in a Radeon 9000 AGP ... voila, seems to be running pretty damn golden now.
Glorin
PostMon 06/30/03 1:00am
HOOOOORAY YOU GO CONRAD  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there are other tweaks I could make ... Gorb told me about 50 tonight ... lol ... a project for another day ... at this point I am pleased to actually have decent refresh rates and such again.

It would seem that my primary feeling that the SDRAM being 133mhz and the PCI video being 33mhz was really making the mainboard slow down and stop to let the SDRAM and video card "catch up." The AGP card and DDR ram seems to have made a huge difference.
Y

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCI bus = 33 MHz ( yes you are right agp=66)

sure thing conrag a agp card will help a lot expecialy something else than a ati 7xxx

but if it wasnt crawling b4 there is no reason why i should crawl now...

anyway ... if you have something working now, good enough
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it WAS crawling before with the SDRAM and the PCI Radeon 7200. I talked to a few people and got varying reasons on why it was crawling ... some blamed the SDRAM (as it was the regular vanilla 133mhz type) some blamed the PCI video ... the more I thought about what was happening, it was not just video lag but also load "latency" lag ... so that made be think it was actually a bit of both making it even worse than if it was just one or the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: