DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

HI im new to this mod and need help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Impervious to logic
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9
 33%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: HI im new to this mod and need help Reply with quote

so i came in earlier today and tried to get some help from the dm. he wouldnt tell me where to level or anything instead he said to go here. so whats this "roleplaying" thing and where do i level?
View users profile Send private message
Impervious to logic
PostTue 06/03/03 5:25am
btw if you want to level with me or whatver my guy is called Roller Ashby and hes lvl 2  Reply with quote

Nemor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52
 84%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You post this in the IC forum? Are you mad?!!

Everyone else learned to make friends and find their levels on their own, I suggest you do the same and begin roleplaying before a DM runs rampant on your ass...

Sorry to go OOC in the IC forum but... Well, I had no choice.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Bio - http://www.btinternet.com/~b.russell2k/Shadow.txt
Nemor - Druid
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven
PostTue 06/03/03 11:24am
Roleplaying essentially means taking in character. For example, if you are a dumb barbarian, then you must act and speak like one.  Reply with quote

RedStorm
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((More then that,rp is remebering to put a (()) or ooc: when u post an ooc post here in ic forum,so unlike raven and nemor icon_rolleyes.gif lol))
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't Red.

Roleplaying means to play the character you are playing as if you WERE him, meaning you play him the way his stats and his personality reflect(But I doubt he has either of those, since you ASk what Roleplaying is....*sigh*).

Meaning that if your character has low intelligence, he will be stupid, and you shouldn't be playing him as if he is smart. That is the main part of roleplaying. Roleplaying also means that you do NOT focus on power, but rather on having a good time impersonating someone. If you're not into that, or that sounds boring, then you should not be in an RP MOD like this. Seriously, it'd be best if you go home if you don't like it.

And could someone move this to Help?

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nemor
Hero

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red... Go away, I said at the bottom
Quote:

Sorry to go OOC in the IC forum but... Well, I had no choice.

So go away, you dimented fool! icon_rolleyes.gif

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Nemor - Druid
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*I'm going to reply OOC (out of character) even though this is in the In-Character forum on the assumption that this will be moved and this person will benefit most from out of character reply.*

Welcome to Dysotopia.

When I started Dysotopia I was really bad a roleplaying but I had the advantage and luck to meet up with good and patient players who helped me learn the ropes.

It's hard to teach a person to swim in a forum.
It's equally hard to teach roleplay in a forum.
Perhaps some of the more skilled players here can take a crack at it.

I suggest you start by. Always stay in character. talk to everyone you see.

Now that you've just arrived the best thing you can do is to. *stay on the Eastern Island until you get to level 5 or so.* if you want to gain max experience per hour spent. ie don't talk the captain into going to Eleriina until you are level 5.

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a guide to roleplaying by FalorDrin (of Arleah) I found useful.

Quote:
FalorDrin

My quick guide to role-playing.

This is intended to help some of the new characters I've seen in the server lately. I hope it is of some help.

Rule number one: You are you, the character you play is someone else. What does that mean? Fun! As an actor, it is your job to figure out how to make your character interesting and fun. You have to think for it, and make it act in the ways you deem it would, making it enjoyable. Imagination is your only limit, and entertainment the only goal. Here is a quick contrast:

Good rper: “Greetings, not seen you around here. What’s your name?”

Bad rper: “huh? Can’t you see it above me? I know your name is Frig Moonstone and
your info says you are a fighter from the frontiers of Curdasha. Oh! You’re a bad guy trying to anoint me into your evil temple of evil gods! I guess I have to try and kill you since I’m a paladin.”

Good rper: “ooc *sigh*

OOC= out of character. use it when you, the player, needs to say something.

Q. I have my character, but I don’t know anything about role playing. What should I do?

Consider your species and class, and alignment. A little research may be in order, but it’s not hard to imagine. A minute thinking will shape your characters actions for the foreseeable future. If you really do not have a clue, Humans are a good place to start, then interact with others and see how it seems. A little misunderstanding is a common theme among humans, that’s just what we do best so grievances are easy to role play. Think about the training he/she received, and how it may have come about. With the exception of barbarians, you can not just be ‘born’ into a class. And even barbarians have a past.

Given a while, you’ll get the gist of it.

Q. I want to try something… different. Half-orc wizards, paladins, gnome barbarian..

Nothing is set in stone. Just give consideration to his/her history, and make it seem interesting. How was your half-orc trained to be a bard? He may not be a good bard, does he feel jealous of others more adept? Does he want to prove himself? Again, its good to avoid clichés, as it can get boring for everyone.

Q. I just can’t seem to compete with everyone else… all I do is stand in the side and let everyone else have fun. What am I doing wrong?

Don’t be disheartened. In a PW world, it is hard to just ‘jump in’ although arleah is one of the few servers that actually make it quite well from my own experience. You have to train yourself up, find others in the same predicament, and interact with your own ideas. Don’t consider joining someone far more levelled up, it just won’t work.

Besides, RP’ing opens up more ways to prove oneself them by simple combat. Anybody can create a strong character given time. Only the imaginative can make a character that will play upon the minds of others. Be it friend or foe. Make that character have an interesting past, and see if there is anyway to act on it.

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
View users profile Send private message Send email
RedStorm
PostTue 06/03/03 3:45pm
((nemor,i simply ment to keep (()) in the ic forum,why get so mad? icon_eek.gif  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a strange-talking man with a strange name, Mr. logic. I don't know what kind of "leveling" you want to do, so I can't tell you where to go, but, I would be happy to show you around the forests if we ever meet up.

Oh, and "roleplaying" is to pretend to be someone you're not with others doing the same, as far as I know. Why you would want to do that, I don't know, unless - ah! You must be a Bard! Excellent, I've never travelled with one of your skills before! Great!

-Raisthenal Maelenshareon
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Sep
PostTue 06/03/03 4:14pm
*As Sajin*

Diiiiiiid somebody say Bard? Bard for hire here! Affordable rates for any budget.

Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

role play is make believe... someone said that a while back, dude dont worry about rp, just stick to yaself and play and dont worry about it one way or the other, remember, you dont have to respond to anyone that says anything to you, "you have the right to remain silent" so just play and ignore the other people, or talk with them and get a few friends and kick back and play, maybe after a while you'll see whats cool and whats not and you can feel free to do whatever, just remember to follow the EULA to the letter, if you dont its a ban, otherwise its all good, hey if you wanna play something cool for a character try playing a half orc sorcerer or cleric or something, that'll make some people turn their heads.... anyway, the servers great, so is the module, relax and play man.... its all good, just join in and do what everyone else does
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, did you just encourage powerlmaing and non-rping? Yes, I think you did................................ cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif cussing.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nemor
Hero

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not mad, I just don't see the point distinguishing IC and OOC when this should blatantly be put into a forum suited more for OOC.. And I did say it was OOC anyways.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Nemor - Druid
RedStorm
PostTue 06/03/03 7:28pm
aha! okay then  Reply with quote

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew i would get some people ruffed up with what i said... i feel so happy.

lololol.... icon_mrgreen.gif
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that you said, Jon, "pass the joint?" Hey! Over here, man!

Just kidding... your advice is keen. I struggled with RP online at first... still do sometimes. So I just try to relax and let it go. That's why I play a low INT char this first run. If i make it say typos or something stupid, i can usually keep it IC.
Aronthal
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27 EXP: 5 / 27
 18%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the best place for leveling is in the Ladder Makers Guild, or perhaps the Dwarvern Demolition Guild depending on your perspective. However, I'm not sure if either of those guilds have chapters in Dyso.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, we all have to start somewhere, even *i* *gasp* sucked at pvp, if only for 1 day when i first started nwn... so just relax and play and the rp will come naturally after a while of being around it... it will happen, trust me, your character will start to come alive before you, while it can be disconcerting, just go with tha flow...
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Impervious!

Welcome to Dyso. You've been given good advice on where to level, as well as some thoughts on roleplaying from my friends/colleagues here. Here's my two-cents....

Roleplaying is hard. It's hard mainly because people often have trouble separating their IRL (in real life) self with their IC (in character) self. That is part of the reason why you see such animosity and ego scattered across the lands and the forum.

As people have said, it takes time to learn to roleplay. I've been playing for over 20 years, yet each time I make a new character, it takes me about a month to find his/her personality (and this is true even for pen and paper games). Also, I learn role playing tips almost every day. So, prepare to give yourself some time.

Think of roleplaying as acting. Since you're new to it, I'd suggest you make a "warm up" personality. Think of someone, anyone. Pick a character from a fictional source (movie, book, comic, etc.) or someone you know. Then, pretend to be him/her.

If you pick a well-known fictional character (e.g. Conan the Barbarian), be prepared to be ridiculed. However, if you have a thick skin (that is, let the insults pass) and use this only as an educational experience, you'll be fine. A fictional character may be a good learning experience since you'd be familiar with their quirks and mannerisms. In essence, you'd have a good idea of how they would act in a given situation. Although others would disagree, I think it's fine if you try to be someone well-known (but it's hard to do that well!).

Another thing you should do is pick up the Player's Handbook if you don't already have it. If you're strapped on cash, you can find similar resources online. The most important thing you'll want to read is alignment, the races and the character classes. Certain classes have restrictions (especially Druids, Monks and Paladins) and you'll want to be aware of them. Some would say that Paladins (etc.) must act a certain way, but my opinion is that it's OK to deviate from your class a little.

Something else to be cognizant of... people will say things like, oh another evil-smiting, holier-than-though Paladin -- how boring. Or, another greedy-back-stabbing-rogue -- blah. However, my advice is to actually try those cookie-cutter roles. Once you have a feel for them, then it's easier to develop something different.

As I noted before, keeping your IC and IRL lives separate is hard. After you get a feel for what role playing might be, you might want to develop a character totally different from who you are as a person. This might sound counter-intuitive, but I think it's a good way to help develop your skills.

In developing your character, I'd suggest you dream up a few scenerios and think about how your character (NOT YOU) would react. Here's a few things to ponder for your character (not a complete or best list, but something to build on what others have posted).

What would you do if..
1. Someone insulted you to your face?
2. Someone asked you for help?
3. Someone started chopping down all the trees in the forest?
4. Someone really powerful/important walked by you?

In thinking through these questions, you might also ponder how your dream character would react compared to you, Conan the Barbarian, Bilbo Baggins, or Morgain le Fay.

Also, some have suggested that you find a personality and always play that way. I would disagree. Your character is allowed to change ... and in my opinion, that change (or, as they say, character development) is one of the most exciting things about a character.

EDIT: Also, check out this earlier posting here:
http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3247&highlight=

Finally, have fun.

Tae icon_razz.gif

Last edited by Tae on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLAY DRIZZT DO URDEN AND ILL START A NEW CHAR CALLED ARTEMIS ENTRERI!!!!!!!!!!!!

*eyes glaze over*

it will be like old times, every drizzt and artemis that meet just wack each other, no questions asked...

well hey, like tae said, seriously, play someone famous like conan or merlin and try to act like they would... conan the brute, no guff no BS taking sort of attitude (hmm.. sounds like me...) or merlin who is a wise wizard that performs and uses his magic for the benefit of someone else in need...

something like that, then after that, try to make something that will interest you and then make a background up for him and play him like you would as if he were a real person, making him do stuff in character you wouldnt want him to do out of character...
(e.g. dies for a young boy against an orc horde giving the boy time to get away and get to town, while you ooc wouldnt want him to die, IC he would give his life for the boy...) (like a paladin or a noble fighter)

anyways, tae is on the ball about that so i would take his advice, its all good.
Maelstrom696969
PostThu 06/05/03 2:55pm
I want HotU to come out, with Epic Spells, and play as Satan and just go around casting Damnation on everyone.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, know, Jon, I just saw some guy on-line who had a char named Drizzt Do'Urden, he even had the same build as the normal Drizzt. SO, go make Artemis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Anywya, roleplay, and odn't worry about anything elkse should do it icon_smile.gif

not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... did it occur to anyone that this guy is probably not even reading these posts?

Not that it matters, I suppose... it's all still very good advice!

Hopefully others will benefit from this.
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowcore, well i can understand you seen a drizzt, but on what server? LOL...

i ultimately i have met about 20 drizzt's and about 50-60 artemis entreri's... i have killed more than a few playing both, or as another character, i usually like to kill unorigional people, its fun on pvp servers... i ask them if they are unique, if they respond, i am but a humble ranger drow of meliekee... they die.

hehehe...
anyway...

MAN MY SPELLING SUCKS!!!!!! OMGSZ0RZ!!!!!!!

AIGH!!!!!

AND I CANT BELIEVE I SCORED COLLEDGE GRADE READING AND SPELLING COMPREHENSION!!! oh well maybe im just too lazy to worry about it online...

icon_mrgreen.gif
Nemor
Hero

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RP is easy, most of my characters are based on how I am in real life so it comes all too naturally to me. If you just shove abbreviations and anything related to feats/skills/class/level questions and general talk, just talk as you would if you didn't have a rapsheet and you'll do fine.

This is my first RP game and I think I'm right in saying, I roleplay well the majority of my time on Dyso.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Nemor - Druid
Impervious to logic
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9 EXP: 3 / 9
 33%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i was on a two day trip

anyway, ok i get it now but why is it more fun? i just want to go around leveling up so i can see this whole mod. then ill go focus on another mod. i dont see how roleplaying could be more fun.
Nemor
PostThu 06/05/03 9:48pm
You got no place here if you just wish to level and see the mod.. I can assure you.  Reply with quote

not_so_unique
Master

XP
 16%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a difficult mod that can require help with leveling. Unless you are playing something like a fighter or barbarian and have MUCH patience, you will frequently find yourself in situations where other players will encourage you to role play. Even if you do have the patience to level by yourself, you will find yourself ensnared by role play encounters as you explore the wilderness and get supplies in town. I'm not saying that will be the case 100% of the time, but I agree with Nemor. Dyso probably is not where you want to be if you have absolutely no interest at all in at least an occassional role playing encounter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: