DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

RPing evil...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: RPing evil... Reply with quote

I've heard that my RP of evil is good- but please, draw the line somewhere. I don't like being killed because I am evil- that makes no sense. Of course I cause trouble, thats a given, people want to kill me- but I don't like losing thousands of XP with one deathspell... thats a whole weeks worth of XP that I worked on, even when I lost all my case-briefs to a virus. I'm on the server to make fun- to cause grief - thats evil. But it gets tiresome getting XP, losing it, and it continues like this for a long time- which is why I have never really taken off at level 17.

Sidenote, I will kill anyone level 15 and below- because it is EASY to regain any lost XP. However, I will stop killing those level 17 higher, unless provoked. Sure I RP good- I don't really look at it that way- but I don't want to keep gaining and loosing like this.

Would it be too powergaming if I actually stopped RPing for a while and focused on leveling? Because thats the only way I'm going to get anywhere... its tiresome. icon_sad.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing- I know being as evil as Spears- you expect to get killed. But enough is enough... at 25 xp a skeleton... weeks of skeleton genocide- lost to one spell icon_sad.gif Not cool you know?

If I didn't RP evil, i'd be level 20 by now.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Nemor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52
 84%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try roleplaying an evil Rogue... It took me nearly a week to level from 12 to 13 and that was during the course of idiots like littly jimmy and the likes killing me because they feel like it..

No-one will let us evil types be because they're too small minded to wonder what it's like to be evil. Screw em, thats what I say.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Bio - http://www.btinternet.com/~b.russell2k/Shadow.txt
Nemor - Druid
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven
PostSun 06/08/03 12:56pm
Get to lvl 19, then RP evil.  Reply with quote

Nemor
PostSun 06/08/03 1:15pm
That's not roleplay though..  Reply with quote

Raven
PostSun 06/08/03 2:12pm
Why not? You get the powergaming part done, and done. Now you can RP evil. Don't have to be lvl 19.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, raven, it isn't roleplaying evil, you should be roleplaying it ALL THE WAY, not just at lvl 19. BAH, that's just as stupid as all of the people who said "I don't roleplay until lvl 20."

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven
PostSun 06/08/03 3:14pm
Stupid in your opinion.

Then don't complain being killed and losing XP. You can have one or the other.

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What....complain?? Huh, now I'm totally confused.

What is it......why can't you people just roleplay ALL THE FEKKIN WAY, instead of only roleplaying when lvl 20... I hate that!! It's just dumb, because a character doesn't suddenly start to talk when he's more powerful or whatever.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gorpie
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19 EXP: 2 / 19
 10%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I might as well kill all the good people just because I am evil and they are good and say "Don't complain, you made your choice when you became good", not roleplaying until you are a high enough level is incredibly lame, I tried to roleplay in the eastern island crypts with my fighter, at first they couldn't understand why I was acting hostile to them, then they stole all of my kills. Totally fair and unwarranted when I am just being my character and they are just being a nice hunky-dory adventure party that never ever encounters evil and if they do they ignore it or run away.

Killing just because someone is evil is unfair and killing someone just because they are good is also unfair. Although, anyone that is neutral.. totally fair game icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing just because of alignment or something similar shouldn't happen, it isn'tt roleplay, it's just dumb. You can only do such things when you SEE what the other character is DOING(Unless ofcourse, you're playing some sick guy who hates gnomes and therefore kills all gnomes, but you'd have to be a VERY good roleplayer to pul something like that off without getting punished, because characters like that can be easily exploited by the PKing lame people..).

Also, an evil character shouldn't just kill people, he should also roleplay it....

AliC1
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Try roleplaying an evil Rogue... It took me nearly a week to level from 12 to 13 and that was during the course of idiots like littly jimmy and the likes killing me because they feel like it..

No-one will let us evil types be because they're too small minded to wonder what it's like to be evil.

I do play an evil rouge, so i do know what it's like to be evil... Boo-hoo, i killed you a couple of times at lvl 12, maybe by doing that i will have taught you that you arent God, so don't act like you are. Maybe you should think a little bit and get your facts right before you open your big mouth Nemor... icon_lol.gif
Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
What....complain?? Huh, now I'm totally confused.

What is it......why can't you people just roleplay ALL THE FEKKIN WAY, instead of only roleplaying when lvl 20... I hate that!! It's just dumb, because a character doesn't suddenly start to talk when he's more powerful or whatever.

If you aim to create a powerful character, then you need to make him high level.

If you don't, then you don't need to make him high level.
View users profile Send private message Send email
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorpie wrote:
Well I might as well kill all the good people just because I am evil and they are good and say "Don't complain, you made your choice when you became good", not roleplaying until you are a high enough level is incredibly lame, I tried to roleplay in the eastern island crypts with my fighter, at first they couldn't understand why I was acting hostile to them, then they stole all of my kills. Totally fair and unwarranted when I am just being my character and they are just being a nice hunky-dory adventure party that never ever encounters evil and if they do they ignore it or run away.

Killing just because someone is evil is unfair and killing someone just because they are good is also unfair. Although, anyone that is neutral.. totally fair game icon_wink.gif

If that person had a reputation of being evil, then some people might just kill them on sight. Like if the "good guy" is drunk, sees bad guy, kills him.

And seriously people, stop whining because people want to get to a certain level before they start interacting with the public. If you don't like it, don't do it. But don't keep others from doing it. You can express your opinion on it without using words like "dumb" "stupid" "dickfucked". It makes you look intellectually challenged.

It's like those evangelists. God, they are so annoying.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, Raven. You don't get the point. You don't just start to RP when high level, you RP while you're getting there.

Because one of the problems I have with that, is the fact that it seriously puts people at a disadvantage, since the decent roleplayers actually ROLEPLAYED while getting to lvl 20 instead of being lame(like you) and just mass level. And because they didn't do that, they'll be at a lower level than you, MEANING that you have a way better chance of surviving BECAUSE YOU WERE LAME. So, that would mean that by not being a good roleplayer, you get *more* rewards and you get to be *better* than anyone who WAS a good roleplayer.

dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. If people state that they start interacting with the public once they reach a certain level, and display this sort of behaviour in game by being a hack'n'slash loner until then, my chars will think of them being a little crazy sociopath and treat them like that even when they reach that level icon_razz.gif
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Because one of the problems I have with that, is the fact that it seriously puts people at a disadvantage, since the decent roleplayers actually ROLEPLAYED while getting to lvl 20 instead of being lame(like you) and just mass level. And because they didn't do that, they'll be at a lower level than you, MEANING that you have a way better chance of surviving BECAUSE YOU WERE LAME. So, that would mean that by not being a good roleplayer, you get *more* rewards and you get to be *better* than anyone who WAS a good roleplayer.

See, this is a lamer's reply.

1. How would you know how I got to level 20?
2. Define "lame". And why am I "lame"?
3. I don't RP for rewards and XP. If you did that, you aren't much of a RPer.
4. Levels have nothing to do with RP. So what then if anyone is higher level than anyone?
dreamin'
Hero

XP
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
ShadowCore wrote:

See, this is a lamer's reply.

1. How would you know how I got to level 20?
2. Define "lame". And why am I "lame"?
3. I don't RP for rewards and XP. If you did that, you aren't much of a RPer.
4. Levels have nothing to do with RP. So what then if anyone is higher level than anyone?

If levels have nothing to do with RP, why do you need to be high level to RP then? Claiming that you can't start to RP before level xx reeks of wanting to "roleplay" a char by using it's raw power, meaning you'll be the villain terrorizing other people (note: that doesn't mean that you will be grieving people! but that you just want to have the easy part of being a villain, without having to face the hardships while you're not yet strong enough to defeat everyone!) or by being a crusader type evil hunter who can easily squash ever little pickpocket he meets. Every great hero had to begin small, and people who want to start at lvl 20 just want the easy, fun part of it, and that usually makes their chars hollow and boring.
"I was born as a super hero and never had to face anything that was more powerful than me!" Sounds very interesting to me... Even superman had his cryptonite
Raven
PostSun 06/08/03 5:14pm
If you are a level 1 poet facing a group of level 20 barbarians, and if everyone in it are good RPers, the level 1 poet might just talk them out.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to dreamin: I think Superman is actually the most boring and unimaginative comic-book character ever. Anyway.....

Look, raven, you don't get it do you. I didn't say anything about having the levels in-character, I said something about the quality of your RP if you don't RP while getting to lvl 20, and I also said something about the fact that when you are MORE POWERFUL because you didn't RP, and then still start to roleplay you create problems with the people who DO NOT HAVE THAT POWER BECAUSE THEY DID ROLEPLAY.

dreamin'
Hero

XP
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a level 1 poet and are facing a barbarian on Dyso, the party chat of the barbarians will probably look like:
"Damn, we can't kill that sucker, he's effortless" "Let's try to get him to attack us, we can defend ourselves then!" "I soo want to kill him!" icon_mrgreen.gif
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people were RPers, then you don't need levels to have power. You can run an intelligence agency without having a uber-lvl20 rogue, or a book club without a lvl-20bard. Power isn't just who can kill who in which ammount of time. If it is, then you have the mentality of a PGer.

And you're still avoiding 3 of the questions.
dreamin'
Hero

XP
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, who here said "I won't RP for a while cause I need to get lvl 20?" You have a split personality? icon_mrgreen.gif
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to, but it doesn't mean you can't with one. My other characters never exceed their needed level to do what they need to do. My rogue, for example, stays at 6 because it's just enough to open the doors in Eleriina so he can have private meetings.
dreamin'
Hero

XP
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now then why do you want to be high level before you start roleplaying with your Raven char? meant an honest question, cause I can't see anything more boring than powerlevel to 20 icon_mrgreen.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You STILL don't get it Raven

If you want to roleplay that badly, and don't care about anything BUT roleplay, THEN ROLEPLAY WHILE GETTING TO LVL 20. You do NOT need to be high-level to roleplay, even while roleplaying an evil character.

You know, I don't know why I even bother anymore.

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamin' wrote:
Ok, now then why do you want to be high level before you start roleplaying with your Raven char? meant an honest question, cause I can't see anything more boring than powerlevel to 20 icon_mrgreen.gif

Actually, I RPd until I was about 15 under the old xp system. When the new one came out, I said, "heck, maybe I can make it to 20 and get this level thing over with."
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
You STILL don't get it Raven

If you want to roleplay that badly, and don't care about anything BUT roleplay, THEN ROLEPLAY WHILE GETTING TO LVL 20. You do NOT need to be high-level to roleplay, even while roleplaying an evil character.

Because I am not a fanatical RPer who have problems with CAPITAL LETTERS. I am a PG/RP hybrid, an interesting mix.
dreamin'
Hero

XP
 86%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, that doesnt answer my question, I mean you could have said, "Heck, I'm level 15 now, let this level thing be over with it now!"
icon_mrgreen.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

XP
 14%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If people were RPers, then you don't need levels to have power. You can run an intelligence agency without having a uber-lvl20 rogue, or a book club without a lvl-20bard

So basically you're saying "They're not doing it, so why should I??". HAH!!
That is one of the most illogical and useless reasonings ever...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: