DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Mordenkainen's Disjunction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Mordenkainen's Disjunction Reply with quote

this post concerns a very serious problem with everyone's ultimate dispel... uh... spell: (redundant... sounded weird) Mordainkainen's Disjunction. As we all know, Big M's Big D is the baddest mofo around when it comes to dispelling people's Uber 1337 elemental shield of really hurting meat shields. it also has a 100% chance of dispelling those damnable darkness spells in Eleriina, and blade barriers cast on benches.

but shouldn't your 9th level dispel be able to do more? (at this point Jon probably knows what I'm going to say... and he might like it)

That's right... as much as all of us love this spell... it is vastly underpowered when compared to timestop, Wail of the Banshee, and Energy Drain... all it does is act like an empowered spell 1/3 it's level... what kind of crap is that?

now... for the solution: I propose the HCR solution to this dilemma.

Mordenkainen's Disjunction should give Magic Items Will saves (either the master's or the item's, whichever is higher, let's say 2+.5 * level req. for the item)
if it saves against the magic, all is well and good, but if it doesn't... ooh... buddy, you just lost your Vorpal Glather Sword of Massiv Criticals +4...

if you decided to do this I can help write the script... it'd be loads of fun...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shadowleaf
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65
 1%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL NO! what if some1 had a wizard and got as much intelligence as possible and maxed out spellcraft, had spell school abjuration, and spell focus abjuration, spell penetration.... and i think thats all he can do, but anyway, the DC would be insanely high and most items would be destroyed so you could go around getting rid of ppls items for fun! bad bad bad idea!

maybe it should damage magical creatures like aberrations, constructs, undead, magical beast etc... or it could reduce spells per day of any mages effected by it

edit: oh nm u didnt say "DC" but still, that would be abused
Uin
PostWed 06/18/03 7:40am
Fun for mages, but no-one else. Very very bad idea.  Reply with quote

Shadowleaf
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65
 1%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey what about my idea?

Shadowleaf wrote:
maybe it should damage magical creatures like aberrations, constructs, undead, magical beast etc... or it could reduce spells per day of any mages effected by it

is it good?
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already does something moer than the the rest of dispels, it lowers the spell resistances of the target...

Good cleric and monk killers

Anywho, on the subject of spells casted on items, with the new patch there will be possible to cast spells on inventory items and such, would make a good imbueing thingy
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity

XP
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudley wrote:
Anywho, on the subject of spells casted on items, with the new patch there will be possible to cast spells on inventory items and such, would make a good imbueing thingy

seriously???

yay!!! that means they probably fixed Doom and Bless!!!
which means Bless weapon would be USEFUL... (unfinished spell)

icon_twisted.gif
Matthijs says:
Matthijs says:
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your talking about, but Doom works, Bless works, sort of, except that it adds to weapon enhancement and when you go above +10 AB from magical means it no longer stacks, the last one is fixed in the patch.

Bless weapon, just check the spell list for that one

EDIT:I dont know what is Bless weapon supposed to do, but there is a spell called Divine Favor comming with SoU which adds +1 attack bonus and +1 damage to your weapon each 3 caster levels
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
PostWed 06/18/03 7:42pm
Bless weapon is a level 1 spell which would add +1 enhancement bonus to your sword, and make any threats an autocrit.  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostWed 06/18/03 7:50pm
Sort of the same except the auto crit part, sounds sweet  Reply with quote

Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless sounds sweet.

Mordie's Disjo sounds pretty cool with those added affects, just don't let it work in the arena and I bet it would work fine.

Also, how about 3+.5*item level, so ONLY people like Shadowleaf mentioned are able to even come close to it, and those who are having astoundingly lucky rolls on that day.

The other way makes it so a suit of Hart Armor could be destroyed with relative ease or a good roll. Hart Armor wouldn't be easy to destroy, nor would things like Blood Letters and Dragon Armor.

Another problem presents itself with: Does the item have to be equipped to be destroyed? If not, and it counts for items in an inventory, then I strongly disagree, even though I am a mage.

It would be completely unfair if I were able to utterly destroy someone's inventory with a couple of Mordie Disjo's.

Or maybe I missed something and only one item at a time would be destroyed?
View users profile Send private message
Drudley
PostWed 06/18/03 8:00pm
My vote is for nothing, maybe a temp (as long as the targets SR is down) removal of all bonus of the weared items  Reply with quote

Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my evil side: hell yes I would love what TP suggested about it destroying items

But from my practical side: It's NOT PNP... and that would unbalance the game unless something more was done to it..
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my evil side: hell yes I would love what TP suggested about it destroying items

But from my practical side: It's NOT PNP... and that would unbalance the game unless something more was done to it..
Jon316
PostFri 06/20/03 8:55am
omgs farkzor it double posted and i have no delete button....  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, Red Dragon armour isn't magical, its just the inherent properties of red dragon scales, and I doubt very much that anyone could dispel things like holy avenger (the essense of law and good).
Little Teapot
Deity

XP
 19%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
The thing is, Red Dragon armour isn't magical, its just the inherent properties of red dragon scales, and I doubt very much that anyone could dispel things like holy avenger (the essense of law and good).

1) Dragons are magical beasties. that's how they breathe fire, be colossal and cast spells as sorcs. don't you think their skin (yes, it IS a supernatural effect in PnP) would have some sort of magical properties too?

2) most holy avenger swords are really powerful. some might say minor artifact. artifacts are harder to destroy, and have a 1% chance per caster level of being affected(they still get a save). The items are not dispelled... Mordenkainen's disjunction speparates the Magical properties from the material plane... also, according to PnP, if you destroy an artifact, then you lose all spellcasting ablities forever, AND there's a 95% chance of summoning a powerful being who had an interest o connection with the item (probably to ask why you did it, and to promptly kick your ass afterwards. you, having no spellcasting ability, are screwed.)

sorry I didn't say that before...
oh, and this is really funny... because people took it seriously.
Matthijs says:
Matthijs says:
Glorin
PostFri 06/20/03 3:30pm
yea they tend to do that  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by technicallity, TP is somewhat right. By spell definiton, Big M's Big D (god that was hilarious roll.gif ) causes ALL magic items caught within a will save or be non-magical. But on Neverwinter, that would be a drastic mistake. Big M's Big D is two things in PnP. It is the DM's way to screw over players that piss him off ( BIG icon_wink.gif on that one icon_twisted.gif ) or its what you use in PnP to take out ungodly uber high mages, however, it should be used as a last resort. Big M's Big D has its uses and definately its consequences. Lets say that mage you just casted Big M's Big D on had an uber important magic item on him, as well as +5 Robe of Evil Archmagi, +5 Vorpal Keen Longsword, +5 Mantel of Intelligence, and a +5 Manual of Gainful Excersize (+5 inherant bonus to str icon_eek.gif ) Well... say they fail their saving throws.... you can damn guarantee you killed the mage, however, you lost out on HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of gold pieces there.... BIG consequence.

In NWN though, you can't loot people when they are dead. And people automatically come back when they are dead. So... what I say is -- No permanent death and loot, no Big M Big D upgrade icon_smile.gif

Ciao
MerchanT
PostFri 06/20/03 8:59pm
Personally I disagree. MD can counter Wail of the Banshee, Timestop, and the like. So it's just as powerful if not more.  Reply with quote

Romulus II
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11
 27%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply make the item be reduced in power for a set time? thus you will get the same effect without someone lossing all their items.which realy is far too good...just look at how annoyed everyone gets at a thief pping their 'lucky' 23gp off them icon_eek.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they aren't actually destroyed in the game either, they are just dispelled of all their magic. Thus, a +4 Greatsword would merely become a Masterwork Greatsword, and so on.

You *could* do that, but it would have to take SHIZZZZLOAD of scripting, for each and every item.
Little Teapot
PostSun 06/22/03 3:15pm
jesus... you people take me way too seriously...  Reply with quote

Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, this is a great idea, we should implement disjunction as it was meant to be. If you consider the amount of power plate of the hart has, I'd refer to as an artifact.
So then, reading the player's manual, we take into account that dispelling artifacts has a 1% chance per caster level, giving your uber mage a 20% chance. Lets say he makes it, now if he fails his DC 25 will save, he can never cast magic again, which I suppose would be a bad thing. Oh yeah, and if he succeds in distroying an artifact, he's got a 95% chance that he just pissed off a deity.
I like it!
Little Teapot
Deity

XP
 19%
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxBoyTails wrote:
Well they aren't actually destroyed in the game either, they are just dispelled of all their magic. Thus, a +4 Greatsword would merely become a Masterwork Greatsword, and so on.

You *could* do that, but it would have to take SHIZZZZLOAD of scripting, for each and every item.

not really... check to see if the item has any magical properties.. .get those properties... convert that to a will save and roll a D20 on it... if it fails the caster's save... replace the item with one of your +1 attack items of the same basic type...
Matthijs says:
Matthijs says:
Marquis Drayfox
PostMon 06/23/03 8:17am
Like I said, a SHIZZZLOAD of scripting!!!!!  Reply with quote

Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a lengthy script to do it, yes, but not impossible by any means.

(Sorry for stating the obvious)

But aren't you satisfied with the game already? It already has so much to enjoy, cant you just be satisfied and let the creators surprise you instead?

Don't get me wrong, suggesting things is never a bad thing, but still... a little peace from being flooded with ideas is a nice break too!

icon_smile.gif
Romulus II
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11 EXP: 3 / 11
 27%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said theres much more that needs done in Dyso instead of fixing spells which work fine as they are at the moment...even if greater spell breach is better in most cases..*grumble*
Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 06/25/03 12:34pm
Yup, couldn't have said it better myself, Romulus II. icon_biggrinno.gif  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostSun 09/14/03 9:48pm
Haha... This could be easily done with the new script thingies from HoTU...  Reply with quote

Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

XP
 5%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drud's mom can be done easily with the new script thingies from HoTU..... icon_biggrinno.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: