DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Goblins..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Should Goblins continue playing on Dysotopia?
I don't think Goblins should play on Eleriina, unless DM's create a subrace!
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
I think Goblins should be allowed to play, providing they start obeying rules!
67%
 67%  [ 19 ]
Is that a pig flying?
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 28

Nemor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52 EXP: 44 / 52
 84%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Goblins.. Reply with quote

Ok I'm posting a poll here about whether the Goblins should be allowed to play on Dysotopia, if they were allowed, they'd be in subraces.

They cause more trouble than they're worth and can't obey simple rules, so I'm having a poll, see the outcome and hopefully DM's will put a stop to it, though I doubt it seeing as they get let off with their mass PKing and OOC grudges but still, I'm sick of it and won't play on Dysotopia until they're gone.

It's an indepentant poll so I won't be voting.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Bio - http://www.btinternet.com/~b.russell2k/Shadow.txt
Nemor - Druid
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have witnessed gobbies not following the C.R.O.E.

Since they post on the board they have access to the rules, and therefore must be held responsible for violations.

That said, I have had fun RPing with them, however, the mix of IC and OOC was VERY confusing, so bad that I had to ask the DM that was watching the conversation what my character actually heard/knew.

I think it has potential. I like the idea and the fresh flavor they have brought. I like the open dislikes they create. Now, if they would just step up their playing, adhere to the C.R.O.E, and make a better distinction of IC and OOC, then its all gravy.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited by Sep on Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, make it a decent poll, so include an option "Yes, no matter what they do."(Not that I'll pick it, but still.)

I think they should be allowed to play here, but they DO need to follow the rules.

They may be generally good RP, but there are always bad apples in every group....icon_razz.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are treading on very thin ice... the complaints about them are growing, so if they don't clean up their act sometime soon I think a rather big boot is going to be planted up their asses. icon_mrgreen.gif

And just look at the voting so far, 6 votes: all voted for the second option.

Griff
Nemor
Hero

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing against most of the Goblins, up until yesterday. Hati is the only one I truely despise IC and OOC. He'll start a fight, die, then return and start where he left off.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Nemor - Druid
Kindo
PostWed 06/18/03 4:31pm
As long as they follow the C.R.O.E. I guess they're alright. Even though I somewhat disagree with players "creating" races normally not creatable.  Reply with quote

Nemor
PostWed 06/18/03 4:35pm
I agree Kindo. I feel sorry for Jibi actually, he had a great idea there, the people that joined him just don't have a clue though unfortunately.  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemor wrote:
I got nothing against most of the Goblins, up until yesterday. Hati is the only one I truely despise IC and OOC. He'll start a fight, die, then return and start where he left off.

This is what I witnessed as well. Complete crap.
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are contributing this sense of weirdness, seeing them run around town, pretending like they're normal people...same with the drow, and half-dragons and stuff. It's just...wrong, normally they would stay the hell out of there. And the guards can't do anything either (it would be a fun IC ingredient if they could) since it's no-pvp.

*A guard is chatting away with some citizen, a drow arrives via the riftgate*
Guard: "Drow! What are you doing here! Get out! Git!"
Drow: "Fool"
Guard: "Your evil nature is not allowed in here! Get away!"
Drow: "Hahaha, foolish elf."
*Guard stands watching as the drow runs away to the market to purchase some equipment*

And that's that. There's nothing the guards can do.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudley
PostWed 06/18/03 6:28pm
Here here, FULL PVP for all!!  Reply with quote

Nemor
PostWed 06/18/03 7:01pm
Only places that should have no PVP is guild areas such as Thieves Guild/Mages Den and Inn's and taverns.  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I think the entire place should be full PVP, it'd force some real tactics by wizards if they had to keep from frying their meat shield and it would give some real consequences to these goddamn Drow, Goblins and other evil races running around dyso like they're some sort of halfling...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Grusk
The Ownerizer

XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, first off, I am agreeing with ShadowCore. Where is the "Yes no matter what" choice?

Second, I am going to clarify why I think they should stay. There's the obvious suggestion that they create a new piece and element of roleplaying on Dysotopia by playing goblins, they're like the drow.

The ruling against this being: They don't follow the rules, so why should they be allowed? Which is also placed with,

"Goblins are not in the game-engine, they shouldn't be allowed to stay!"

Then kick the drow, thayvians and any planar beings or demons out, too.
( Thayvian being Muric, they are indeed a slight bit different from humans, and are thereby not built into the game engine. Question Muric on it, I haven't heard much of anything about Thay since 2nd Edition myself. )

A less obvious reason they should stay is because they give the moderators, good-aligned people and victims something to do.

Mildly humorous reasons follow:

Use goblins as stress relief. If you're ever pissed off for one reason or another, go out into Kravenwood and drop a Wail in the middle of them all when they're not looking.

Bait. Pay the goblins off and send them into Gloth to act as bait for the Xavians. Use them as meat bags for the Dark Lord, Gloth Sentry and Glather Lord to pound away at while you run away.

Keep one as a pet. Capture one and keep it as a pet, you know, like a dog. Feed it every now and then, make it play fetch and do tricks. Afterall, goblins have thumbs and aren't as bright as monkeys, they make great pets.

Use them as moving targets. If you're a ranger or spell-caster, goblins make great moving targets. They run, breath, think and try to act against you. So just break out the long-ranged spells and ranged weapons and have a little fun. Throw a few shuriken or Fingers of Death at them from across the stream in Kravenwood while they're standing on the other side.

Test Subjects. Ever been a wizard or a Sorcerer and you just got your hands on a spell, but you have no idea what it does? Well, Goblins are PERFECT test subjects. Just cast an Energy Drain on them, and see what kind of havoc occurs.

Pack Mules. Goblins are great pack mules. Get them a few belts of Giant Strength and dump all your worthless items on them. They're small, easily-portable and light. They're also stupid, so you won't get any questions, however they may be stubborn, so prepare your death magic to make them comply to your wishes.

Toys for the kids. Is your character expecting a child soon? Already have one? Bring it a goblin home and the fun will never stop! Wrap it up and put it under the giant tree infront of the mayor's estate in Eleriina. Note: May require sedatives or stunning/charm magic.

Anything will work, just make Goblins a generally laughable thing that is used for amusement, and eventually they'll go away. The fun doesn't have to stop with my ideas, either. Be creative!
For instance: I use mine to cook for me. Dump a bit of meat and firewood and threaten it to start cooking or die.

Hehe, seriously, however, Goblins do comprise a certain portion of the population of Dysotopia. I do find it a bit disturbing that they do not follow the rules, but quitting and killing them over it won't stop them. Nor will jailing. Only banning or a stern reminder from a DM will do the trick with them, they're alot like the Xs.

EDIT: I voted for "Is that a pig flying?"
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, funny stuff

Also TP, in my opinion the only non pvp areas should be Inns, so there is at least one place you can REST without being bothered
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
African Ape
PostWed 06/18/03 8:02pm
I think the only area that should be no pvp is the Ship to Dysotopia. All others should be full pvp and full of balors and dragons.  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostWed 06/18/03 8:05pm
Yes, ignore my earlier reply, i agree completely with Ape icon_rolleyes.gif  Reply with quote

African Ape

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a level 1 joining for the 1st time and getting knocked down and having a DC 28 implosion cast on him before he can type, "OMGSSSSSSSSS!@# THARE H$XING MEES."
Jibi, Goblin Shaman
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without being too redundant (see other posts):

The vast majority of Rule Abuse and Poor RP I have seen is by the non-goblins.

I agree that there have been times that a goblin will revive and get back into the fight however personaly it has happened to me on several occasions that after being killed in the Lowlands, respawning and running out of Kraven Wood to go to the Crypts I have been chased down by the Lowland Gangs and Killed. Even when I was yelling stop and NOT attacking, several players feel the need to PK. This has happened to many goblins that they have been multi-killed and sure they get p#ssed off! Before you say the WE need to follow the rules more closely, perhaps you need to police your own members.

Can't we all just get along and Kill the Dwarves! Who likes them anyway?

PS Sorry to see you leave Nemor but each must follow their own path, brother Druid!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Lord Randall
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 10 / 11 EXP: 10 / 11 EXP: 10 / 11
 90%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to burst your bubble on Thay, but other than having a tendency for not sprouting all that much hair (and then they go and shave their heads bald, etc), last I checked in the 3E FR book, they're human wizards. They sort of displaced the indigenous population, but they were human too. Imagine the colonization of the States and you have the idea, only a lot more rapid and even more heavy-handed. Unless you're trying to play one of the ultra high level Thay wizards, at which point you're probably a lich. But they'd have no reason to be running around Dyso.

Oh, and there are more people from Thay than you think. But I'm not going to say who.

And kill the dwarves? icon_eek.gif I take offense to that... icon_smile.gif
Kindo
PostWed 06/18/03 9:26pm
The rules apply to everyone. Simple as that.  Reply with quote

Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my two cents on the subject if anybody cares... first off, I like the goblin idea. In fact Pillbox, myself and a few others were thinking about doing it as a once a week type thing when 3.x came out, we just never got around to it. I think it can add a lot to the server. The "civilizing goblins" brings up an ethical dilemma for characters to deal with. And they provide another enemy, that people not willing to help them civilize, can fight. These are two big things that goblins bring to the table.

As for the goblins playing I have two problems: the first is as Kindo stated, there's nothing people can do to keep them out of towns. This is incredibly irritating and irksome. Nei tried to persuade one to leave town because she didn't want him to get hurt, she even gave him an inviz potion to leave, but he simply replied "noboody can kill me here." I have further problems in Kravenwood, where no matter how many times they're chased off, they still claim the Lowlands as theirs. I mean how many times does it take... It kind of reminds me of the 2.x wars that consisted of fight, kill, die, respawn, fight... The cycle has to stop somewhere. At some point the goblins have to submit. Yeah maybe it kind of sucks being killed by everybody and not being able to buy equipment in cities... but this should've been expected when you began playing a goblin. Another kind of funny thing... goblins are supposed to be greedy, selfish, and skitish when out numbered. I've yet to see a goblin back down or run away. In fact more usually magically congregate in the area. After a few are dispatched they still remain, and the dispatched usually come running again about 5 minutes later.

All this said, I hope they continue to play, but I also hope that they modify their style. I thank all of those goblins who have decided to take th abuse of the inhabitants of the island, I hope this all works out for you.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my two cents on the subject if anybody cares... first off, I like the goblin idea. In fact Pillbox, myself and a few others were thinking about doing it as a once a week type thing when 3.x came out, we just never got around to it. I think it can add a lot to the server. The "civilizing goblins" brings up an ethical dilemma for characters to deal with. And they provide another enemy, that people not willing to help them civilize, can fight. These are two big things that goblins bring to the table.

As for the goblins playing I have two problems: the first is as Kindo stated, there's nothing people can do to keep them out of towns. This is incredibly irritating and irksome. Nei tried to persuade one to leave town because she didn't want him to get hurt, she even gave him an inviz potion to leave, but he simply replied "noboody can kill me here." I have further problems in Kravenwood, where no matter how many times they're chased off, they still claim the Lowlands as theirs. I mean how many times does it take... It kind of reminds me of the 2.x wars that consisted of fight, kill, die, respawn, fight... The cycle has to stop somewhere. At some point the goblins have to submit. Yeah maybe it kind of sucks being killed by everybody and not being able to buy equipment in cities... but this should've been expected when you began playing a goblin. Another kind of funny thing... goblins are supposed to be greedy, selfish, and skitish when out numbered. I've yet to see a goblin back down or run away. In fact more usually magically congregate in the area. After a few are dispatched they still remain, and the dispatched usually come running again about 5 minutes later.

All this said, I hope they continue to play, but I also hope that they modify their style. I thank all of those goblins who have decided to take th abuse of the inhabitants of the island, I hope this all works out for you.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Nemor
Hero

XP
 84%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The rules apply to everyone. Simple as that.

The rules should apply to everyone, but they don't. Some people have decided to make their own rules and everyones lives hell.

As illustrated...

Black Shadow - Rogue
Green Shadow - Mage
Nemor - Druid
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly I'm with Ape and Drudley on this stance, I've played too many FULL PVP modules where I join as a level 1 and get a balor or a uber wizard or something kill me on joining... making it only good if someone has pity on you, yes, keep the boat no pvp. lol

Otherwise ... wouldn't eastern isle be a perfect full pvp area? No high levels allowed (relatively speaking) and a place for the newbs to get to level 5 or 6 until they get to the mainland... that would give them a good starting chance anyway I'd think...

Anyways I support 100% full pvp...

it would make it much more real rp... next time I see a drow in town... well lets just say... the reaction will be very violent
Jon316
PostThu 06/19/03 7:35am
cant post..... having problems  Reply with quote

Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then kick the drow, thayvians and any planar beings or demons out, too

I totally agree. Call me a bad RP but I just can't seem to stop laughing when someone makes demon chars or other planar beings... come on man, how pathetic can you get ? icon_wink.gif

The point is not to make your character unique by appearance, but rather to roleplay him as an unique person...
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed when dyso went down and one of these goblins started screaming in the lamespy chatroom, Dyso is gobbo propertie or something like that... I told him the gobbo's should go back to their cave and he started calling me names, taking it OOC calling me even more names and telling me if he found out my ic name I'd be death...
I laughed my ass off cause he was making everyone laugh at his aweful typo's ( I know I got some aswell, probably right here... )Just felt like telling it... icon_evil.gif
Jon316

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 100% full pvp... only a single safe area, which should be an afk area... as for the goblins, all I see them doing is power leveling their uber remade chars as wizards sorc palllys ect.... whatever.
Shadowleaf
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65 EXP: 1 / 65
 1%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote that u should stop the damn polls! even if ppl hate it its valid rp and no one is gonna make u leave!

oh oops i assumed a goblin player posted it... oh well i say that t othe goblins and to everyone else:

just accept them they are good for rp cuz thye are different which makes it more fun.
Kindo
PostFri 06/20/03 12:10pm
Can goblins really be paladins?  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: