DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

SoU: Bugs and Changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewell wrote:
one thing thats never made sense to me is how Heavy Armor would allow you to be hit less...i mean of everything I think HEAVY armor would make you be hit more...I think for it to make more sense it would be that Chain and lesser add to AC...with Chain mail having a little bit of resistance on it, and Heavy Armors having alot of resistance on them but no AC bonus, not an ubered out resistance either but yeah...you get what i mean...
But thats just my way of looking at it.

Exactly!!!

Too bad changing that would kind of change alot in the d&d thing...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea went like this:

Person A attacks person B. First person A has to get past person B's DEX, Dodge, and other bonuses that involve moving out of the way of the attack altogether (someone with Heavy Armor would be poor at this, as Ewell said). If person B fails that, then their ability to block with a shield or weapon is taken into account (along with other things that are not their actual armor). If that fails to block it, then the last thing to try to block the blow is the actual class of their armor (in this case, someone with Heavy Armor would fare better).

Because of all this, people who were very dextrous wouldn't always need to replace/fix armor because they wouldn't actually get hit that much at all, whereas Knights with Full Plate might get "hit" a lot, but not take damage, but still need to repair armor.

The problem arose when trying to even the playing field so it wasn't as advantageous to just have a high DEX, and then figuring out what kind of weapons did how much damage to what kinds of armor, etc.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem also is that in PnP it woul take way way way too many rolls to be doable. So they made AC, which is basically how hard you are to damage(Not to hit, to DAMAGE, that's why heavy armor gives more AC).

But what I always found irritating, is taht they port it straight to PC games, and not just DnD but also other games. WHy can;t they see that the PC was MADE to do a load of calculations, it would be way more realistic to do it with to hit chance, and damage reduction from the armor.

Also, a dex of 18 would be incredible. Just like an INT of 18 is probably an IQ of 180, DEX of that magnitude is almost unthinkable.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using a bow in close combat does look stupid...but it works..so i use it hehe...beats tryna hit um with my gah damn short sword...that thing missess every damn time!! icon_evil.gif

[quote:076179584b="Ogt"]farts leave the athmosfere because they have their OWN WILL, they are TIRED of being farts, and decieded that they would make their OWN PLANETS!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
GOLD!!!
View users profile Send private message
dreamin'
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969 wrote:
But ya'll gotta remember that Archers were usually very weak individuals who just had very good eyesight.

Umm, ever tried to pull the string of a longbow? That'll tell you something about "very weak individuals" icon_wink.gif
Maelstrom696969
PostThu 06/26/03 8:03pm
Sorry. What I meant was, compared to the Knights that were barreling down on them in Full Plate with 3 foot Longswords.  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omgs...

TO EVERYONE SAYING THAT D&D HAS A FLAWED SYSTEM OF TO-HIT: GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System) Has the exact same problem SOLVED. Armors have passive resistance (essentially AC) and damage resistance-type qualities. it also has a sectioned off armor/to hit system (you can target their brain with like, a -7 (much more than you think it is). Int of 18 is supposedly higher than 240 (you're essentially as smart as you wish to be) and STR of 18 is the 1980's world record holder's strength. Translation: High stats aren't too common.

and another thing: AC is the chance given to get in an effective hit, a hit able to do damage.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in any case, this entire conversation is stupid. short of thousands of letters to WoTC about needing to convert the D20 system to GURPS, nothing will get solved (even then, nothing will probably happen, Steve Jackson's system is far different from traditional Dungeons and Dragons)
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, a dex of 18 would be incredible. Just like an INT of 18 is probably an IQ of 180, DEX of that magnitude is almost unthinkable.

Yes, and dude...in 2nd edition, stats that high was very good. Sure, you could get em a bit higher, but not a friggin' 30+ like the 3rd edition made oh-so easy to get.
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipped all the posts, anyway...

I fired a little handcrossbow once, pretty fun really, hit a bulls eye from 10 feet away... then I went outside and put it to practical use...

I'll leave it off right here...

All I know is that when I shoot someone, point blank or 20 feet away with a bow, your gonna be in alot of pain.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot some arrows (longbow) for a while. It does take a bit of strength to pull the string. It is fairly accurate, even at relative short distance if you know what you're doing. But i'm not buying that any fighter no matter how good he dodges would hold up to a swordsman for more than two rounds before his head is chopped off and his bow in pieces. Just not buying it. What would solve the whole issue to some degree is if someone made me my item saving throw system. Let's see how long you can shoot arrows when your bow gets split in two by an axe wielding warrior.
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand the easiest solution is simply to switch to melee weapons when in close combat, be a bit more like Legolas. emot-yum.gif

One thing I've always wondered about, why do you need to be able to use bow in close combat (Point Blank Shot) in order to have the ability to shoot faster (Rapid Shot)? I can't see how the two are related. icon_confused.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: