DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hireable assassins: Still one of my favorites from the old days icon_wink.gif.

*Can't keep track of stuff i posted somewhere else anymore since we're going so damn fast icon_wink.gif but the assassination scripts are the key to the judicial system as well. I have a lot of stuff regarding a justice system. Basically replace assassins by bountyhunter, the hitboss by the sherrif, link it so only the DM or a script triggers the bounty being set (onperception script posted in onperceive forum bit) . Maybe a payoff option would be cool though based on persuade so you can bribe the sherrif to arrest an innocent icon_wink.gif. That introduces the first part of the justice system.

*Second bit already worked on is onperception script of guards and witnesses so they can detect crimes and report them to the sherrif. Again this might put the player on the suspect list and consequently hunted down without us having to lift a finger as dm. Crimes have a severity rating in that script and we can link that to the reputation script Fooz mentioned. I like any system that introduces things like that, making the players aware that while their enviroment in interactive it also means actions will have consequences, especially sloppy work in the criminal sector. Witnesses, when citizens should be made to run off to the sherrif's office and when reaching the door safely they report to the Criminal suspect list. If the criminal stops the witness before he reaches the sherrif 9and is not caught doing it) then he's scotfree for that particular crime. It means rogues and assassins have to time their crimes, avoiding z patrols and striking at the right time.
Players of course can act as witness by simply reporting to a dm who then puts the suspect on the list.

*Once caught for a crime the player is judged and sentenced. It would be interesting to have this justice system based on a particular city at some point, making certain crimes more severe in one city as opposed to another. Also some cities might skip a court entirely and simply cut off your head in public and stick it on a pole for public display.
Punishments could be death by hanging (Drown effect), beheading (there is a script or hakpak somewhere that lobs off someone's head), having a finger or two broken (reducing dexterity for a while), hanving your feet mangled (reducing movement for a while), being imprisoned for a period (hope you have rogue buddies who can spring you from jail), banned from the city or torched (inferno).
Also taking out any stolen objects from the players inventory (possibly returning those stolen from other players if possible?) and fining him.
Also had the idea of having the announcers start screaming the latest news about the notorious criminal Foozbane being executed for his crimes.

*Bribing: I think bribing based on persuade could be fun as well, removing some of your cirime rating, thus raising your reputuation a little again, by paying off the right people. Of course if you fail your check it only ADDS to your crime rating.

*We already got a small script in tuskan that warns when guards are being killed. This allows the Dm a more hands on way of jumping in on a situation.

Ideally speaking we should work towards a system where OOC involvement with crimes is no longer necesarry. Players going on a masskilling spree will soon find that they are hunted down, banned from cities, denied acces to shops and being chased by every tom dick and harry who wants his hands on the reward for the player's head. Same for being reported for failed pickpocket attempts and this also calls into being the fact that neutral thieves will have to be more clever than evil ones as they wont have the option as easily available to simply slit their victim's throat to shut him up. Good thieves would probably rely heavily on charisma and persuade to escape justice by bribing and cajoling.

Last edited by Falkhor on Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character Destruction Booth---

-II-

Or better yet, in every store, the unique power of "Poison Potions" that permanently destroy your character when you drink them.... sell for zero gp as they are plot, just drink and bye bye character... I am more fond of this than the booths, it's much more IC and much more epic than a booth... maybe.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or put the suicide function on the Emote wand and script it to look like ritual suicide japanese style, along with dramatic music, blood spilling on the floor and some message being send again to the announcers.
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subduel Damage

Add a mode that you can turn on, so that when you attack an opponent you do so with the intention of knocking them unconscious only, not actually killing them. This is known as "subduel damage". This would probably knock somebody out when they hit -1 HP, and would last for some period of time determined by fortitude saves.

Smelling salts would also be aidful in this area.

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compose and Play Music

Through the use of Haks, add a collection of new sound files for various notes of a piano, various notes of a flute/wind instrument, various notes of a harp, perhaps a few reusable non-language-specific voice singing clips, and several percussion sounds. Then make scripts that will "play music" by firing off sound-playing events timed at intervals.

With DB persistence it should be quite easy to add new songs to the DB which can be played by NPC bards and so on. These will probably be stored as individual song tracks or segments, which are then pieced together in-game to make music.

The only possible problem is lag -- it may be that lag causes the music to play off-rhythm too much to sound good. In that case, a good solution may be to put together a handful of pre-composed song 'segments', which can be played together and in sequence to produce various songs.

PCs should be able to play music with instruments they can acquire, and also be able to compose new songs through a simple conversation dialog interface.

PC music playing would probably work similar to the way it's done in AC2: player signals that s/he wants to start playing a particular melody, and at the next pre-set time interval, s/he begins. S/he can switch melodies after this time, and the new melody chosen will begin playing when the next pre-set interval occurs. This makes it easy for multiple music players to play their music together; by using a pre-set interval behind the scenes you make sure that everyone starts and finishes playing at precisely the same moment.

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skiped to the buttom after reading this:

Biting Bags. Create a new item called Biting Bag or similar. The idea here is that these bags are living creatures which you can put objects into. A thief who happens to stick his arm into one of these bags will (a) not be able to pickpocket anything out of it, (b) become known to their victim, and (c) suffer a hit to their hitpoints ("Something bites your arm!"). These bags would then be a sort of portable safe that people could carry with them to protect their most valuable items. However, they would need to be fed something regularly to keep them alive; failure to do so results in the bag digesting the character's valuables inside the bag, and eventually results in the death of the bag (at which point it becomes a regular bag). Feeding the bag certain kinds of food (a game secret) gives the bag special powers, such as poisoning or paralyzing would-be pickpocketers. To keep things sane, we should only allow a player to carry one biting bag at any time (otherwise players will put all their items into biting bags and be immune to thievery). If a character puts two biting bags into their inventory, the bags will start fighting aggressively, resulting in the death of one of the bags! Think Tamogatchi with a purpose.

That would be great!

Another idea, make halflings unable to steal MEdium and Heavy armot, giant weapons, large weapons, vairous LARGE items. A halfling cant walk up to and steal a full set of Human sized Full Plate. They couldnt even carry that.
dreamin'
PostThu 07/17/03 1:25am
Noone can pp a full plate, especially not porkys. Restricting pp especially for halflings seems quite stupid to me  Reply with quote

gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLOTHES

Lots and lots of clothes... all kinds... Haks? EVEN BETTER!!! Dresses real robes... lingerie! Whatever, just lots and lots of clothes! A must have for roleplay.

Angel icon_twisted.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scorp57
DysoMOD

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45 EXP: 21 / 45
 46%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor wrote:
TRADEROUTES

Old Tuskan idea, but not too difficult to set up i think.
We'll try and set up npc traderoutes. These can be robbed by well...robbers and guarded by well...guardians, NPC or Players. Depending on whether a trade convoy makes it to town or not prizes in shops for certain items could maybe be adjusted? Like if an ore transport doesn't make it to the city weapons and armor become slighly more expensive. Not sure if that last bit is worth the trouble but it would give players reason to keep the traderoutes clear of bandits.

PLayer run tradroutes could also be pretty cool. Have an economy in which products are avaiable at "tradeposts" in one region and sell at other tradeposts in another region. Different regions would have different buy sell values for products. For instance a forested region would have cheap lumber for sell and buy it for even less. However, because of a lack of iron ore this product would sell for much more but only be available in a distant mountainous region.
Ectovult
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... here is a couple things id like to see in the new mod (more to come)

1) Alignment changes
Gesh had this planned and I think it's very important. Depending of the actions taken by the characters, their alignment SHOULD change.

2) DM sponsorship for guilds
While this guild system that is planned seems like a good way to "control" the guilds and prevent a chaotic state of 1000000 guilds hanging around, it is also very limiting.
My suggestion would be that, players would be able to form their own guilds, BUT only if they have a DM to support them. That DM would stay responsible for that guild, and would basically monitor their progression.
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamin' wrote:
Noone can pp a full plate, especially not porkys. Restricting pp especially for halflings seems quite stupid to me

Oh, I dont know the rules for PP.... never used it.

To the above, does this mean no Druids Circle? icon_cry.gif
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I agree 100% with the clothes. I know some hate haks, but there are some really nice clothing haks out there. Having models in the stores so that you can see what the clothes look like before you buy them would be great too. I also second the whole thing about good ambiance (pretty fountains, etc.) found on another thread.

I appreciate Conrad's alternative to tradeskills (find a bunch of items, etc.) and think it might work. From my perspective, the ability to craft items would be a lot of fun. Tae would much rather spend time making pretty dresses and jewelry, rather than stomp through a nasty dungeon. I've no good ideas on implementation, but strongly support the general idea of tradeskills.

I also agree with toning down Issiac's missiles and other spells. However, as it is, playing a mage is really tough in full-pvp (unless you don't care about toasting your party!) and some spells don't work properly. For example, "Slow" is supposed to work in enemies only, but I keep slowing myself. I think most spells in general need some work. However, if you make any changes to the spells, PLEASE POST THEM AND LET US KNOW HOW THEY DO WORK.

As a thought on protection from spellcasters in a full-pvp environment, how about creating an item that would allow a certain level of protection from a specific caster. Thus, I could give out Tae's Charm to a close friend, which would protect her/him from my spells (or a subset of them) for a short duration. This item would entail some cost on the mage's part. For example, some gold and XP for a charged item (wand of Tae protection). For non-charged items, Tae might have to give up an attribute point or a whole level. This would allow casters to protect their most valued allies, yet limit the scope of this protection. Adding in the ability to pp these items would also make mages even more hesitant to create them.

Agree that the point about singling out halflings on the pp rules is silly.

How about a persistent gravesite? Here, you could buy a permanent gravestone for your deceased character. This could lead to a great rp session where we get to work through the funeral service, etc.

Another idea would be visual life development. By this I'm thinking that it would be cool to come in the world as a child (tiny) and then grow bigger ... visually. Of course, some will want to come as a full adult, but that would be their option.

As an alternive to simple leveling, how about an apprentice system? The general idea is that you need a mentor in order to advance in your profession or to train in a new profession! The details of this could take several forms. As one version, you could advance up to level 5 on your own, but in order to level up beyond that, you would need a mentor of higher level to sponsor you. At the very high levels, perhaps one would need remarkable genius in their profession (say, certain attribute requirements), mentorship by a demi-god, or the backing of a professional strong guild. I think this has some neat RP opportunities and also helps slow down advancement. Also, the mentor would be a necessity if you were switching professions. Anyone want to sponsor a Level 19 sorceror to learn the ways of the paladin?

Tae icon_razz.gif
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points.

Perhaps as an addition to Conradskills you could take the Craft Traps skill into account. If someone is skilled in turning skelly knuckles into negative engery traps, it would be reasonable to say they can turn some ore and a thunderstone into a sword with electrical properties.
dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About clothes: I just finished reworking Lisa's Clothes Hak v9 to respect the 2da safelines Bioware released some weeks ago, and I'm integrating thallion stefani'S legpack too. So, if anyone is interested, I can email you or give you a download link to it.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree 100% with the clothes. I know some hate haks, but there are some really nice clothing haks out there. Having models in the stores so that you can see what the clothes look like before you buy them would be great too. I also second the whole thing about good ambiance (pretty fountains, etc.) found on another thread.

*Checked out the clothes store yet? if you have clothes made with the toolset send them to me and i'll add them. Also, next upload i might have something you might want.

Quote:

I appreciate Conrad's alternative to tradeskills (find a bunch of items, etc.) and think it might work. From my perspective, the ability to craft items would be a lot of fun. Tae would much rather spend time making pretty dresses and jewelry, rather than stomp through a nasty dungeon. I've no good ideas on implementation, but strongly support the general idea of tradeskills.

*Griff Inn made a system for making wands and potions. He also suggested the crafter system, so i ripped it out of the single player game but haven't gotten to customizing it yet. That is a big undertaking... I would like to see this expanded upon at some point to include other things like special traps (disjunction mines, incendiary bombs, triggered bombs (seen this script it's a lot of fun blowing up things from a distance by flipping a switch), or things like recharging wands, staffs and other rechargables through some process.

Quote:
I also agree with toning down Issiac's missiles and other spells. However, as it is, playing a mage is really tough in full-pvp (unless you don't care about toasting your party!) and some spells don't work properly. For example, "Slow" is supposed to work in enemies only, but I keep slowing myself. I think most spells in general need some work. However, if you make any changes to the spells, PLEASE POST THEM AND LET US KNOW HOW THEY DO WORK.

*Will do.

Quote:
As a thought on protection from spellcasters in a full-pvp environment, how about creating an item that would allow a certain level of protection from a specific caster. Thus, I could give out Tae's Charm to a close friend, which would protect her/him from my spells (or a subset of them) for a short duration. This item would entail some cost on the mage's part. For example, some gold and XP for a charged item (wand of Tae protection). For non-charged items, Tae might have to give up an attribute point or a whole level. This would allow casters to protect their most valued allies, yet limit the scope of this protection. Adding in the ability to pp these items would also make mages even more hesitant to create them.

*I think that's a great idea. It could become exciting when enemies start hiring thieves to steal the amulet that protects them from their foes. Scary thought isnt it icon_wink.gif. But I do like the idea a lot.

Quote:

Agree that the point about singling out halflings on the pp rules is silly.

*ditto

Quote:

How about a persistent gravesite? Here, you could buy a permanent gravestone for your deceased character. This could lead to a great rp session where we get to work through the funeral service, etc.

*Was thinking the same. With a suicide function that permanently erases your character a whole line of scripts could be fired off, with bells starting to ring, announcers calling out the name of a fallen hero or villain, people start rejoicing or mourning based on your reputation and a crowd gathering around a new placed tombstone.

Quote:

Another idea would be visual life development. By this I'm thinking that it would be cool to come in the world as a child (tiny) and then grow bigger ... visually. Of course, some will want to come as a full adult, but that would be their option.

*Tough, would require some hakpak i think...
Personally I rather start as a young adult but making that optional hmm..possibly.
Teapot suggested age be a factor. Could be interesting. Gaining wisdom through the years but losing your speed and strength as time catches up with you.

Quote:

As an alternive to simple leveling, how about an apprentice system? The general idea is that you need a mentor in order to advance in your profession or to train in a new profession! The details of this could take several forms. As one version, you could advance up to level 5 on your own, but in order to level up beyond that, you would need a mentor of higher level to sponsor you. At the very high levels, perhaps one would need remarkable genius in their profession (say, certain attribute requirements), mentorship by a demi-god, or the backing of a professional strong guild. I think this has some neat RP opportunities and also helps slow down advancement. Also, the mentor would be a necessity if you were switching professions. Anyone want to sponsor a Level 19 sorceror to learn the ways of the paladin?

*That sounds good, yea. i wanted a similar something with prestige classes. Find a mentor who is a shadowdancer first through some quest, or an assassin reluctant to step in daylight to teach you his skills. I suppose something similar could work for normal leveling as well. Lots of work though.. icon_confused.gif What would be good as well is to tie it to reputation the way Fooz described it, making it impossible for a murderer to become a paladin unles he does some SERIOUS soulcleansing.
Joel_sil
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 5 / 8 EXP: 5 / 8 EXP: 5 / 8
 62%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another topic, where trade routes were requested. On the other hand, I have played a nice 'caravan-script' in 'City of Arabel'. In that script you get hired as 'normal guard' for standard carvans or 'special caravans' for more experienced parties. Based on that idea, it would be nice to have caravans to these trading posts. To add some crash resistance, the trading posts should be not too far from each other, so the defending guards can get some revenues in XP and gold before the whole thing is done.
A more advanced feature could be, that if those caravans don't succeed, certain goods, (maybe even vital goods (food ?) -> special caravans) can get rare and/or expensive in towns and stores.
Caravan routes (not the posts) could be special areas, only accessible to caravan party members (i think that 's the case in Arabel) or free accessible for common interception (hopefully all are in equivalent mood for these kind of interactions).
The longer a carvan can last, the better (with free exit points (at the posts) for party members, who wanna leave). I dont think, I'll go in further details now, but sure there are plenty good ideas for random/dm driven events that can be related to the caravan main plot.
M-K
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish ..Some form of restraints methods to tie people up and stop them moving.Very usefull for taking hostages and the occasional torture.With also a method of putting a form of gag in their mouths ...just generally usefull in many situations to shut people up.
Restricted axcess fine But you will severly reduce passing trade that might stop.A community needs to get new members as some will always drop out.I know ill get all my friends to join arguments but they arent very credible.
reduced or no XP or Sponsorship for skills is also fine .If it works if you can give 24/7 coverage or do you just wish to be a regional server.I remember that Krynn tried that approach and dropped it as it became to difficult to match demand with resources IE Trainers.(( for time only way low levels get XP was from completing quests didnt work as said from the resource matching problem.The idea is fine but ideas need to be toned with reason and practicability.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drugs and Alcohol

Drugs and alcohol should have longterm effects. If you use them too much your character might get addicted and has to go through withdrawal to get rid of it or find a priest who can aid him. If not, his scores will be negatively influenced if he doesnt take his "medicine". The drugs will have some minor benefit and cheap to buy on the corner of the street so they'll look like cheap alternatives to magic potions but once hooked things go downhill fast. Intelligence will plumet and eventually your general health drops. If you survive you're free from the addicition again.

Also smuggleroutes could be put up, even between the mods and the creation of alcohol and illicit substances a customized lab based on Griff's Potion lab. You could go out, collect mushrooms, berries and toad excretions and make some addictive substance, then sell it to newbies in the docks.icon_mrgreen.gif
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope you guys make it with lots and lots of quests. And also lots of quests. Someone mentioned that there should be no XP for critters, but then you'd have to rely too much on DM events and quests. The DM event thing shouldn't need to be relied upon, and thus you *should* get XP for monsters - but hey, that makes sense, anyways.

But as far as quests go, I know I never would have gotten much into the whole role-playing thing if it wasn't for quests. If my DM's had always just said "Here's a map - wander around and I'll spawn monsters here and there. Oh, and you can talk with the NPC's all you want!" then I might never have touched a compter RPG.

Heavy-duty NPC interaction, judicial system, housing, craftable items (whether with or without tradeskills), drugs and alcohol, clothing, etc.etc. - all these things being talked about here definitely will make for an awesome MOD, but seriously, to make the *adventuring* part truly fun and really worthwhile, you need QUESTS.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
M-K
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We making SIMS mod or D and D action based RPG with heroes Dragons and Fantasy....I wonder at times.In D and D things are abstracted to speed the flow and fun.We seem to be wishing for the abstractions to become real --baths-clothes--drink--crafts--trade skills--family life--growing up-etc etc and the Action Fantasy is a side line In fact becomes the abstraction.
Balance in all things.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said MK ... you sound more and more like me every day. icon_smile.gif

I have no qualms in stating that I am less thrilled with all the bells and whistles as some others are. When I look at the would-be module ... I basically look at it from only a few angles ...

1) good amount of space for players to spread out over
2) lots of little quests (and some big ones) out there so there is always plenty to do ... some of the stuff being adventures you can do alone, some of it requiring a balanced party where various skills are put to the test and one character alone would not fare so well ... and several of them having a couple different ways to approach it so you can play "evil" or "good."
3) a sound historical background for the module supporting the key NPCs and giving a solid foundation for all else that is put in

All this can be done without hakpaks and all the fancy stuff. Yeah, the fancy stuff and tradeskills and all that jazzy-neato material adds to the "fun" to a degree, but a module that covers my three points amply and lacks all the bells and whistles, to me, is more fun to play on than one that tries to define too much reality into a game and lets you wear full gowns and cloaks.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, it is called a wishlist. Doesn't mean everything will get in and we should certainly concentrate on the points Conrad mentioned, doesnt mean we can't put in some other easy to do fun stuff on the side. I would add AI to the list though, IMO one of the most important aspects and a set of basic scripts allowing us to handle most things IC instead of handling it in an OOC manner. The illusion of realism kinda fades when it is being interrupted by a dwarf appearing warning a murderer not to push the envelope much more. If instead he gets a posse after him, the message is clear as well without direct OOC interference.
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immunities

Okay since this is just a list wish I thought I'd cross my fingers and ask for a harsh restriction or all out abandonment of immunities/evasion, including those damned belts. Especially the greater belts. I've been over this many times, but I just think that all of those absurd immunities really sap diversity out of some classes, particularly the magic users, but immunity to knockdown, sneaks, and crits are equally restrictive on other classes. Open it up a little, give us a challenge besides killing the highest level things on your server by the time we're level 11. As for the belts.... yeah they make it so you can solo anything, but it's just not fun to do that. While I'm at it I think I'll add another wish...

Item Level Restriction

I know there are arguments going both ways on this, but I feel that Item level restrictions if anything encourages powergaming and powerleveling. Such as in the following Senario:
Billy: Wow Bobby, I just got a shiny new suit of armor in a DM event.
Bobby: Why don't you try it on?
Billy: Well, I need to be 3 levels higher to wear it...
Bobby: Well then lets go kill some Skellies
[3 hours later]
Billy: Woo hoo now I can wear this shiny armor, lets go back to town and RP again...

So I feel that the removal of Item level restrictions will allow DMs to richly reward lower level characters for supurb play as well as discourage rampant leveling.

Maybe this has all been talked over already, or even been integrated, I apologize if it has been, but I just wanted to add my wishes. Best of luck.

-Eric
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
gaea106
Hero

XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with Conrad too. We can add detail and fun without the haks... it just requires a bit more time and creativity.

However the community has asked for haks repeatedly.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dreamin'
Hero

XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item Level Restriction:
I decided to turn it off in my mod and balance it this way:

1. Items are hard to get by. Everyone who has a really powerful item will have earned it.
2. NPC guild thieves/caravan raiders will single out easy targets, meaning if you think you have to switch equipment from you level 20 char to your new lvl 1 char and then parade with your uberequipped lowbie, be careful of hidden corners and lonely regions, else you might end up without your equipment
Foozbane
Elder

XP
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Falkhor's recent note about Conrad's recent note:)

This is a wish list, but it isn't meant to take the focus off doing the important (and sometimes tedious) parts first. Lay the foundation, then you will be able to build those majestic towers.

This is just a thread to get all those "what if" ideas stirring out there and "on paper", for future reference.

But first things first.

.. that being said, *I* get really excited about all the bells and whistles.. I guess it's just the geek in me, who loves to try out unique toys ("what's this button do?") But I recognize that without some good, substantial base content underlying any such toys, there really isn't much value to the module. I point to Dyso as a good example of this: relatively speaking, it had very few bells or whistles, yet the 'mundane' world of Dyso proved to be rich enough to generate a very active, enthusiastic community for much of its lifetime -- and one that, it seems to me, has yet to be reproduced on any other server to the same degree. Dyso may have eventually failed, but it was not due to a lack of whizbang.

I guess all I'm saying is: I reserve the right to get excited about things that may in reality not show up until some distant future point!! icon_mrgreen.gif

On a sidenote about Haks: I think Haks are more important than other 'whizbang' additions near the beginning of the development cycle, because a lot of world content will come to rely on the Hak content if it's present early on(particularly tilesets, new models/item appearances, etc.). If Haks are only introduced later, it's not bloody likely that existing areas will see much of that new content.. so players will end up wandering to remote regions to see the new custom stuff. Having it well mixed with the default Bioware content seems like a significant plus to me.

Fooz
Orthanica
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 2 / 9 EXP: 2 / 9 EXP: 2 / 9
 22%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there are arguments going both ways on this, but I feel that Item level restrictions if anything encourages powergaming and powerleveling. Such as in the following Senario:
Billy: Wow Bobby, I just got a shiny new suit of armor in a DM event.
Bobby: Why don't you try it on?
Billy: Well, I need to be 3 levels higher to wear it...
Bobby: Well then lets go kill some Skellies
[3 hours later]
Billy: Woo hoo now I can wear this shiny armor, lets go back to town and RP again...

So I feel that the removal of Item level restrictions will allow DMs to richly reward lower level characters for supurb play as well as discourage rampant leveling.

I've never played on a server without item level restrictions so i don't know the outcomes of it but it sounds interesting to get rid of them.

Also i think monsters/npcs should alway drop the equipment they are using when they die. And as large creatures like fire giants droping those swords, make the swords only usable by giants. That way you can at least make some money selling the sword, you just cant use it.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of Item Immunities!! I didn't bother reading everyones posts (except Nei's) and that crossed my mind too. I don't like them. Either ditch them or make them bonus to saves.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immunities REALLY suck...
Especially for magic users. It's just SO limiting. I mean, back in Dyso, everyone had immunity to mind spells, which basically meant that every damn spell that involved mind control (and there are some really cool ones) was just USELESS.

I say get rid of them...
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper dungeons, with traps and as many uses for different skills as possible (randomised signs that need translated with the lore skill, various pop-up messages that require listen, tracks...). Randomised boss encounters.

And as many custom looks on armours as possible, and if the DMs are willing, they can change the look of armour you own for a price (another item, quest done, money).

Bard song sheet-music, ala the Lyrics of the Lich from the SoU campaign, a spell effect which uses up a bard song.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: