DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
tracks...). Randomised boss encounters.

And as many custom looks on armours as possible, and if the DMs are willing, they can change the look of armour you own for a price (another item, quest done, money).

Bard song sheet-music, ala the Lyrics of the Lich from the SoU campaign, a spell effect which uses up a bard song.

I like your suggestion Uin... I was thinking that I could make a player tracking system... it would be really easy to work into the heartbeat... but the server performance would go down horribly... but since this is a wishlist.. what the hell...

I want rangers to have a "Track" tool, where they could use it in an area to reveal (to themselves) the tracks of all the PC's (possibly monsters too) that have passed through the area. this could be worked into the heartbeat, where every 12-30 seconds a player would have a nonuseable, dynamically named (tracks of [player name] or [Light, Heavy Medium-sized humanoid]) and hidden (until seen by a ranger) set of tracks created where they are standing (variation: as long as they are x yards from the nearest set of their own tracks). this would be a really cool addition, especially for Ranger/Assassins, though it would make a seriously excessive amount of placables in the module at all times...
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gorpie
PostFri 07/18/03 7:10pm
Changes to bard song? Bard song being better? Bard bonus' at level 20 being worth more than a couple of extra hp? OMG!! PLEASE!!!!  Reply with quote

Sep
PostFri 07/18/03 7:55pm
Bard song is fine as it is.  Reply with quote

Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay while we're wishing I have another thing to add. This will probably piss some people off, but I don't much care. I say don't start at level 1. It is just bloody irritating, it's not as if you do anything interesting at level 1, you either hack up some retarded combat dummie, fight toothless monsters that give 5xp for an hour, complete some tedious and pointless quest, or follow around one of your higher level friends hoping not to die. In PnP I'd far rather start at level 1 you have to be resourceful, and develop a character to get anywhere, but this is a videogame. Resourcefulness doesn't count for squat here, because there just isn't the option to be resourceful. It doesn't increase RP because instead of talking with some people you're either hacking a combat dummy or lost in some forsaken crypt where endless hordes or worthless undead meander toward you. Sure you can RP at level 1, I played Nei, I know, but it's not so fun dying whenever a fly lands on you. This is just my feeling toward this, but if you're going to let someone beat a combat dummy until they're level 3 PLEASE don't make us suffer through that. I'm not sure who here liked the eastern Island on Dyso, or if any of the DM's watched it, but it was usually about as IC as El North and about as fun as stubbing your toe. So my 3rd wish is that characters start at level 2 or 3.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nei, you can RP for XP at level one as well as wack a combat dummy... and I believe they will have them, and it won't go slow either when you use them icon_wink.gif

Or party up and maybe team with a few people and use the advantages of different classes if you intend to go level...

But that's just the beginning... there are many low level quests that we you can do, so don't concern yourself with worrying about stuff like that. icon_smile.gif
Uin
PostFri 07/18/03 9:00pm
No turn resistance unless boss/head of encounter.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostFri 07/18/03 11:47pm
Nah I like seeing people start at level 1.  Reply with quote

Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Conrad, have you ever considered the perks of .. dun dun dun .. level 2?

Let's face it, level 2 in all games, that's every game ever created, is always better then level one, but not as good as level 5 or 6.

So let's all start at level 2, it's not a big jump, but it at least says that our characters have seen a little bit of the world instead of just getting on a boat and coming to some island that isn't on a map.

(Serious suggestion)
View users profile Send private message
CattiBrie

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With even training up to level 2, from then on only XP from DM events or Leveling, or a blend of both (best).

I agree, level one is a must almost, at least for Tuskandale.. icon_wink.gif
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with conrad on the level 1 issue. The trouble with level 1 in most mods is because there is nothing to do at level 1. Our mods will have plenty to do at lowlevel and i mean in the way of quests, not just monsterbashing.
My dream is to have almost every npc connected to one quest or another, from really simple retrieve quests to more elaborate campaigns though this of course is a big undertaking. You'd have to talk to npc's and get the right answers out of them to even get into certain areas of the mod or start up a quest, like for example certain lost islands. It might be you get a seamap as reward and be able to explore this new area, or the npc mentions a name and you end up running into that person at some later point which then again fires off a quest, etc, etc.
It will also to a point prevent rushing quests, as I'm looking into making at least some quests use randomized locations, npc's, loot, etc.
Two small examples being worked on are treasure maps that you might find as part of an event or as random loot somewhere that spawn a random treasure and some random encounter at a random location.
Another one worked on is a Soothsayer, who predicts your future when paid which in turn fires off another random quest. "I see in the threads of destiny you will run into a man with one arm, treat him like you would a brother and he will put you on the trail of a master of the arcane arts who might teach you about the ways of elven archers" or:"Be carefull when venturing out of the city, you will run into an ambush".
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falk, your NPC issue sounds alot what i'm mapping out for all the NPC's on a module i'm helping with. Hope you have fun with it, conversation editing is nice and fun.

Pity it's the only thing I was ever good at .. conversation. icon_lol.gif
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sep wrote:
Bard song is fine as it is.

You obviously don't understand what I was taking about, this thing can add various powers to the class and could have high RP value.
CattiBrie

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I no longer agree with powering bards anymore then they are.

I have seen a level twenty buffed bard take down a level twenty tank quicker than four rounds, bards are perfectly fine as they are with buff's ect.

Same attack base as a rogue (I believe) and half the spellcasting powers of a sorcerer without the drawbacks of multiclassing...

Is that quite silly or what?
I do believe bards are ALREADY able to RP fine without boosting them up just because "Oh, bards are weak, we must have pity on them"
That's my stance on bards any longer, when I seen a professional maximum bard take out a tank ... I knew they didn't need any more power.

icon_arrow.gif icon_exclaim.gif
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that bards are weak, I know they're not I play them. You actually taking away a song use to pull off a single spell effect, it not really over powering them, and its a nice alternative to scrolls.
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck of Many Things

A deck of many things can be your dreams come true or your worst nightmare! When someone draws a card from the deck, a random permanent effect is bestowed upon the drawer. The effects vary wildly! I have got all the effects I want (75 in all). I may or may not post all of them. The effect is determined by a d100 roll, so some effects have a higher chance of appearing than others (generally the lesser ones). Some of the effects are very very good, and some are wickedly evil. Only the most gutsiest of people should dare try drawing from the deck of many things. Has a limited number of uses (1-3). When someone draws their allowance in cards, it disappears from their possession and is transferred to another random player currently in the mod.

Griff
Nei
PostSat 07/19/03 9:20pm
Haha that sounds cool Griff, I like the idea.  Reply with quote

gaea106
PostSat 07/19/03 9:40pm
actually it is standard with SoU now... it's in the misc category I think  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
PostSat 07/19/03 10:05pm
I will change the name and appearance then. I had no idea it was in SoU, I got the idea from the DM's guide and ToB.

Griff

Falkhor
PostSun 07/20/03 12:42am
Maybe we can customize the deck for Cobar, adding the extra effects you want, since it's a spelllike effect it should be editable.  Reply with quote

Ultrafoo
PostSun 07/20/03 12:49am
I see you are already calling the mod Cobar. icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrafoo wrote:
I see you are already calling the mod Cobar. icon_smile.gif

The vote is already 11 to 4...

Nice Idea Griff. Don't post all the effects, cause if you KNOW the effects and what can or can not happen it makes it less fun. It'd be more fun to leave it to chance.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general layout with the first few areas for Har-Rhun will be quite level 1 friendly and basically allow you to get those first couple of levels without having to go very far. There will be some stuff that is a bit harder, and soloing at level 1 will be a challenge for anyone ... but then that is the point, generally.
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:
soloing at level 1 will be a challenge for anyone ... but then that is the point, generally.

I disagree... this isn't PnP where you generally start with a party, when a person comes to the server they're usually alone. Of course this won't be true when you first open it, but later on it certainly will be. So a person's options will dwindle to attempting to solo 1st level which is always irritating, especially for those non-fighterish classes, or trailing behind some higher levels leaching xp from them, neither of which is much fun. I'm only asking for a level or two here so that non-fighter characters can stand up and actually contribute to party combat earlier on without dying constantly. I've found that many of the servers I've been on do require much teamwork at low levels, when you're almost always alone, and much of the high level stuff can be soloed. High level chars. are usually more established and far more capable of creating a large party to take down exceedingly difficult encounters, but a combination of items applied to nearly any class often dissolves the need for a party. I think this system should be turned on it's head where is it a little easier on the unestablished newbie and more difficult on the seasoned, well established higher levels. I understand a balance like this is difficult to achieve, but this is a wish list isn't it? icon_smile.gif I hope all is going well, thanks for listening.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swallow Whole

In D&D, Some particularly large creatures have the ability to swallow a victim whole if they succeed on a grapple check. I've played around with this idea, and came up with something similar (it's all done and ready):

Every combat round, the monster makes a touch attack. If the touch attack hits, then the victim must make a successful strength check at DC 15. If it succeeds then nothing happens. If it fails, then the victim makes a reflex save. Again, if the reflex save succeeds then nothing bad happens. However, if both the strength check and the reflex save fail, then the monster succeeds at swallowing you whole!

You are sent to the monsters gizzard, where you sustain 3d8+8 points of crushing damage and 3d6+6 points of acid damage each round while trapped there. Every round, you make a d100 roll to see if you manage to escape. If you roll 80 or more, you escape and return to the location of the monster. If the monster is slain while you are trapped inside it, you are automatically freed from its gizzard.

Thoughts or Suggestions?

Griff
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea ... where would this "gizzard" area be located? I would not be too happy having to load a new area just to go "into" the gizzard, then reload the original area a couple rounds later.

Maybe the "gizzard" area could be a remotely located bit of area on the existing area map, and these swallow-whole monsters would only be found in areas that have this special gizzard area in place.
Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be difficult to say the least. Getting a dungeon/castle/crypt whatever area to suddenly look like a monsters insides is pretty hard to do. I'd just prefer the area change, because then you get some level of customisation. For example at the moment for the gizzard I have the mines and caverns tileset, and it's a small (easy to load) area with just a small patch of land in the centre surrounded by green acid. And it's completely green, it doesn't look like a mine.

Griff
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be more doable if some Darkness and/or colored lights were employed to good effect. Another option may be the use of some appropriate placeables in the "gizzard" area, including perhaps something out of a Hak.

I agree, loading the small gizzard area is no big deal, but re-loading the main area is where it's really going to sting.

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and theres also the slight delay which most computers have before you see the screen. Not a major point, but if there were monsters stills around etc.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on mages and magic...

I. Seldom used skills and spells. Encourage their use (persuade in the shops was brilliant!) Here's a few examples:

1. Spellcraft: party finds an area that causes damage; successful spellcraft skill reveals a magical artifact that needs to be disabled somehow.

2. Lore: party encounters an area with funky tiles on the floor. Some tiles are puzzles that are deciphered with lore. Other tiles are traps with impossibly high DC's. Successful Lore by someone reduces the trap DCs so that party rogues can disable them. Some encounters have such a high lore check that use of the Legend Lore spell (gasp!) is required.

3. Dominate person (etc.). A favorite by some, can be used non-combatively. For example, party is requested to bring back a prisoner ALIVE. Only way to do it is to enchant her/him (or maybe really high persuade) and bring home.

4. Related to (3), make more encounters that require that doesn't end in the death of the NPCs/monsters. Stun spells/items would be required. In fact, death of the creature results in LOSS of experience or reputation. This can even work for evil characters it's crafted the right way.

II. Mages academy. Sure, Dyso had the mages' guild in Kravenwood, but what about a real academy, something more elaborate than the one in Ch1 (?) in the official campaign.

III. (Anti)Magic zones. Some areas prohibit/weaken the use of magic (ack!) whereas in some other areas, magic is enhanced.

IV. Wild magic. Create a custom spell that casts a spell at random or has random strength. As the caster increases in power, so does the likelihood of a good effect, but there are no guarantees. (I know some items do this, but I'm talking about a spell or even a character class! Big wish, eh?).

V. Items with stored spells. The sentinal armor is an example (casts true seeing) or cloak of displacement (casts ghostly visage). If you wish to be able to cast the spell from that item, you need to equip it! No longer can you put it in your bag of holding and cast away. icon_eek.gif Also, if you unequip the item, the effect ends.

VI. Cooperative spellcasting. One version would be that two people casting a spell increases the effect. A second version might be that several people need to cast a spell simultaneously (or say, within 5 seconds) at an artifact in a room in order to activate it. This could really encourage party formation...for example, you could have an artifact that requires a mage and a bard spell in order to open a portal.

VII. Shadow Weave. Shar is at it again. Have some monsters/npcs use shadow magic (Shadow conjuration, etc.) to thwart the use of conventional protections.

VII. Teleport! I hear the plans are mainly for water-based rapid transport, but how about making a few rare teleport scrolls that get you places? Related to this -- can we have a way to quickly group people together? Tuskan is HUGE and will be even bigger once you connect the new lands. How in the heck are we going to get people together to form parties when we're scattered??? Right now, the easiest way is to kill yourself to port back to the city, but once the death system is in place... what then?

VIII. Scrying. How about the ability to scry (item, spell or whatnot) so that you can view other areas for a short duration? This isn't so necessary for friends in parties, but could be handy for assassins trying to track down their prey.
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to see every single skill have a use in the new mod. Mage academy hmm... funny you mentioned that. icon_wink.gif

Griff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: