DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Passworded Server

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Passworded Server Reply with quote

What are you developers thinking about this? Its gonna be harder to bring in new players, but the flow can be better monitored and new players screened. I suppose if you make it a proper RP server where PLing players and chars won't get far then it doesn't matter as much, but there are always those ppl...
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we want to do, we'll be using some kind of form players can fill out with some details on their character. Most who are not in the mood for roleplay will not bother filling in a form with character background. An added advantage of this is that we as storytellers have something that we can base personal stories on, so you might end up running into an npc who actually recognizes you, like an old lover or your long lost brother.
View users profile Send private message
Sep
PostThu 07/17/03 12:29pm
Yes, I like this. Can you password the server instead of scripting for CD-Keys on client enter?  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
PostThu 07/17/03 7:07pm
Damn, Falk, I was always hoping that DM's would do shiat like that.  Reply with quote

Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will probably do some kind of scripting for CD Keys or Acct Names, since a server password is relatively weak in terms of keeping out the riff raff .. one person shares the server password and boom, everyone can get in.

The security system will probably involve scripting against Acct Names and/or CD Keys. And only those who have been approved through an application process will be allowed in.

As stated elsewhere, the goal is to prevent unwanted visitors and relog abusers, while at the same time giving the most flexibility possible to those who share CD Keys, those who have more than one CD Key, and those who want to use more than one Gamespy account. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to settle on a system that will work well enough for everybody.

Also another possible benefit of no server password: creating a visitor access area. Under this setup, new people who come visit the server would not be immediately kicked out or need the password, but would go into a special visitor area where they are told what the server is about and how to get on (by filling out the application). These visitors would only be allowed to visit the server one time, if they try to relog after that they will be booted.

Fooz

[11:12] GorbGuy: phew, getting a buzz off a mega-sharpie
View users profile Send private message Send email
Sep
PostThu 07/17/03 8:07pm
Sounds good to me.  Reply with quote

Z
PostThu 07/17/03 9:42pm
Havent you got it yet? Everything that Fooz says sounds good..... everything...  Reply with quote

Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know what would be REAL cool?
Random idea here...have someone host a smaller server for new players...show them a typical couple areas of the mod and a quest or 2...to make them see if they like it...and if they do, have signs all over with the url to apply for the main server! The smaller server won't use a lot of bandwidth, don't evne bother saving their characters, it would only be an hours worth of testing the module or whatever...i think this would be a cool idea...and make it non passworded of course...this will help us attract more players! Thoughts?
Foozbane
Elder

XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea ... probably would be in the second development "round" I would guess, but definitely good potential for future implementation.

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea, however, don't get TOO choosy about the people you let play... It is human nature to pick favorites and choose people you don't like...
Grusk
PostFri 07/18/03 11:58pm
Woh, uh, no. The server's population is already dangerously low, and could really use a new crowd, so leave it open and let the new crowd roam in.  Reply with quote

Ultrafoo
PostSat 07/19/03 11:18pm
And then we get 40 new problems that try to destroy the mod with their carefree attitude...no thanks  Reply with quote

M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till you have a problem before you try to sit on it....rather v chicken and egg argument.To have a Mod you need players in the first place Ultrafoo and when you have 2 mods grouped together a lot of players.AND considering that Tuskan is BIG you need even more players.No problems but a mod that wont even have enough players to get one per area is not my isea of fun.Let people roam if they like it they stay if not theyll go.And if the mods DM dont like them there easy to remove ban.The idea that by having a membership you avoid problems is slighly short sighted.Or that creating a Wall to block of the rest of the world is answer too.Why need these arcane approaches the DM Mod have power the problem is the use or non user of it.
Application I like get a bit of a story but limited axcess not so much.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have 2 servers, hows about we have one be passworded and one be public, at least until we can attract enough players to allow both to be private?
M-K
Elder

XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise between opposite ideas is always good......but lets put one caveat....until we decide to have both password OR that best to have both open ....
You are predicting a result i prefer to wait and see
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're going to link he servers it wouldnt help one bit to password one and not the other. During testing it will just be open i imagine, also gives us time to watch people play without them knowing we're watching them. Already spotted a few players who might no make it into the mod once we kick off with applications since they show themselves to be rather childish in this open round. Once we kick off with both mods we'll have reached some agreement on how to do the application thing i'm sure.
Ultrafoo
PostSun 07/20/03 1:58am
That's a goodidea, have it open until we get a certain number of players, then have it by application only.  Reply with quote

Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrafoo wrote:
That's a goodidea, have it open until we get a certain number of players, then have it by application only.

Then wouldn't the normal players have to go and send in a application? Even though they've been playing there a while? BTW When you DO start this, make sure you have like 5-6 people taking applications or it will take forever to get everybody playing again. (Note: To those of you who tried ALFA they have Player Apps and it can take nearly a week to get accepted... that would suck if it happened here.)
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say that we don't put up a pass or anything, but just make sure we have enough DM's. Anyone not playing decent just gets his ass kicked, it might sound harsh, but don't forget that we will get a reputation.
Falcan
PostSun 07/20/03 7:42pm
The idea sounds good to me. I like the idea of puting in a area that tells you to go to the site and make a profile and then you can go on.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: