DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

A World Without Perma-Haste
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Isilzhaveni
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9
 55%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the item with /day haste will save your day
and in the end you will see no one will use those boots... they will just buy potion of haste.. since there are more usefull boot to wear
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:

<*snip*>

On a side note ... I am very much in favor of using "scripted loot spawns" that randomize (to a degree) major loot spawns so there is no such thing as a "sure thing" at the end of any quest. Only thing you'd know going in is that there will be something "good" waiting for you ... but it could be something you can't use, don't like, or don't really want.

I agree... we could also hook the randomized treasure up to tidy badger (or equivalent) system...

"Hey, I just found this weird sword... may as well give it to someone who can use it..."
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been playin on a server for awhile...

NO haste items at all...
resting is ALLWOED anywhere you want to rest..however...you have to wait 14 hours ((in-game hours)) bafore you can rest again...which is extremely realistic seeing as how we are awake for 14-16 hours a day in IRL anyways...
no dmg reduction belts...
Time Stop cant be cast without a special item that you have to buy which is REALLY expensive...
random loot spawns...so nuthins for sure...and i think tha higher your search is tha better tha L00T will be...which means you will probably want a rogue or two along...
you dont lose xp when you die...however if you respawn, you lose half of your lvl xp..for instance...if your lvl 20 you lose 10k xp...
if you are raised you lose half of what you would lose if you respawned...and if you are rezzed then you dont lose a thing...
which makes you WANT a cleric in your party...
which makes you WANT to be in a party...
your basically given lvl 3 if you talk to tha NPC's and get tha quest...
but after that tha only way you can go anywhere is if your in a group...coz everything is extremely hard to kill...((unless your a halfling named Ali that is icon_wink.gif ))
this server is everything Dyso 3.x was tryna be, i swear it...
i aint here to promote any other server or nuthin..just giving you guys ideas...
it is hella fun to play too...
and no one can venture out alone and kill trolls by themselves or whatever...
everyone is in a party...sometimes tha whole server is in one party..((which is not sayin much coz tha most people i ever seen on at one time was like 20))..working towards one objective..a quest...
oh yea and you can sell stuff for GOOD money, if no one in tha party wants it..as long as tha appraise skill is good to jack tha selling price up...
View users profile Send private message
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally backing up Ali here, that server is the best server I've been on as far as game play goes... the only thing lacking is a lot of role-play that coms with a larger community. But I do really enjoy the party atmosphere where not even an uber-superpowered wizard can stand alone against everything. I really like the complete lack of immunities, damage reduction, and the powered down magic items (including a complete lack of hasted items, as well as insane ac bonuses). This way the monsters don't have to be superpowered and the players will still have to forma diverse group to contend (Even bards are valued in groups!) Furthermore, the leveling is at a good medium where you can raise levels, but there is no way to be 20th level in a day either. These are all things I strongly advocate for a server that wishes to have a strong gameplay element to it. Although I'm kind of lost on the role-playing part...

As with Ali, I'm not trying to promote another server, I'm just agreeing with his statement and hopfully adding a few more ideas. Good luck all!
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Zantia-1
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 6 / 11 EXP: 6 / 11 EXP: 6 / 11
 54%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off....for the world of high power items that has damage res and haste. If a world has lots of items that buff your char...then the monsters will be harder. If the world is low magic..chances are the monsters are going to be easier. Simply becasue everyone wont be powerful enough to take on the monsters in a high magic world.

Second... people keep ragging on the fact that resting needs to be more "real". "real" is when a party comes upon a few monsters..a week... and each monster gives lots of xp. The world isnt populated with monsters springing out of every crevice...they would die out. So if a mage needs to kill 30 goblins a few trolls a dragon and a few other misc. monsters in 1 game span hour...they simply cant do as much as the fighter..thus they get more spells in a shorter amount of time than in PnP.

But then again..what do I know......I havent had a succeseful post yet....
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of my gripes with Dyso. It started out as Local Vault and so the monsters were scaled to that. When it went roleplay all monsters and items were still overpoweredand while they scaled them down some, it didnt do the trick. Uber items therefore uber monsters were required to keep it interesting. We're trying to keep the new mods lowkey so the standard creeatures pose a threat to the players instead of us having to come up with supergoblins and the like.

So far I've been doing shops as follows in the new update for Tuskan:
-Nothing with more than +2, including armors and swordfs.
-No damage reduction over 5'. These represent things like insulated clothes, padded armors, helmets to avoid those fists in your face, etc.
-No magical immunities like poison, disease, death magic and the like.
One helmet has knockdown immunity. I felt that was justifiable as protecting the head against blows that knock one to the ground but hmm not entirely sure if it should even be in there.
-I put some starting stuff for rogues and mage charcatcers in Nattick's junk store. Since he'll be buying up the bulk of items players bring in i felt he should have some of this stuff already in store and give mages for one some measure of protection at those first levels. Again no bracers or rings over 2, a few basic scrolls, not all of which are infinitely for sale so you'll have to buy them up rather quickly. Nattick sells the basics for trap crafting as well.
-Weapons: nothing obviously magical. Keen represents balanced out weapons, +2 enchantment master crafted, massive criticals sharpened or weighted weapons that cause more damage than the usual in the hands of a good fighter.
-Ammo: up to +2, piercing, mild poison, fire can all be explained in nonmoagical terms.
-There's some other stuff like spiked gloves with pointy barbs, ring of choking which releases chocking powder etc. all stuff explainable without magic.

I think the entire team was interested int the random loot idea as well so you'll find that in there as well. It adds an element of surprise. Haste items might be in but only in extreme cases like a DM event loot drop. To aid in moving a bit faster i made Boots of Rretreat that can be found as loot and can be used to cast Expeditious Retreat couple of times a day. That's about enough to get you through one 32 area with some measure of speed. Mages will be able to make haste potions in the alchemist lab, and we're thinking of making a cheaper, but addictive version of the haste potion that is sold by shadowy figures. icon_wink.gif
"Hey, man, you wanna buy some Haste?".
Ultrafoo
PostThu 07/31/03 11:59am
what about the Golden Circ, do you plan to remove that or is Mind-affecting immunity going to still exist?  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor wrote:
a DM event loot drop <snip> and we're thinking of making a cheaper, but addictive version of the haste potion that is sold by shadowy figures. icon_wink.gif "Hey, man, you wanna buy some Haste?".

On DM drops, there's always the age old problem of fast looters taking everything. Even if there's some agreement to share loot, the looter doesn't have to disclose everything. After a drop, could DM's announce to the party what items were dropped, so we could have a fair way of splitting them? Of course, if the party completely missed picking up the items, too bad (no announcement necessary).

Addictive haste. Great idea.
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, concerning fast looters getting everything, fast looters that don't share basicly get a huge bump to chaos, hehehe icon_wink.gif
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remaking golden circlet into something with save bonusses instead of immunity. Not sure about absolutely no immunities in the mod but they won't be in stores, nor will they be anywhere near common.
As DM I generally drop items close to people and sorta spreading them around. Then it's sorta up to them to notice them.
Isilzhaveni
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9
 55%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here haste on items is

icon_arrow.gif on boots

icon_arrow.gif per day

icon_arrow.gif can't be quick-sloted
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch 1.31 will fix the equipment cast thing.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=242094&forum=69

- You now have to have a ring/amulet equipped in order to cast spells from it.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Isilzhaveni
PostWed 08/06/03 12:41pm
cool you wont have to script it
and i can remove mine, (( too bad it was fun as it casted slow if you quick slotted haste)) :p

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you don't have to be wearing boots, gloves, cloaks, armor, or helmet to cast spells from them. Why did they just do rings and amulets? Idiots.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good start though.

Regarding the fast looter issue: I have seen on some other mods, whenever a PC takes something out of a corpse or chest, all party members nearby are automatically informed of what item was taken. I'm not sure whether I like that or not but it certainly would resolve the fast looter problem. RPistically, any party members nearby "saw" what the looter took out.

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Z
PostWed 08/06/03 8:24pm
The server I keep refering to has this aswell, it has its +ves and -ves but i think its a good idea overall.  Reply with quote

Tae
Master

XP
 85%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkhor wrote:
Mages will be able to make haste potions in the alchemist lab, ".

This got me thinking... Let's say Tae wanted to retire from adventuring and spend her days sewing clothes and making potions. Will she be required to gain levels in order to do this or will there be a way that a Level 1 mage could become the world's expert in potion making? After all, killing dragons doesn't necessarily make you any wiser in the chem lab. (sure, I do understand the point of needing supplies, but you could always hire someone to do that).

Tae icon_razz.gif
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should ask griff about detail on the alchemy set since he made it but as i understand it works with a skill in which case yea experience does help making them and a level 1 will have a harder time making potions than a higher level character.
Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that char level shouldn't really be a factor. I think XP and level apply only to a character's class abilities and battle experience.

Since Fooz's mom is probably a level 1, she couldn't hurt a goblin a bit, yet she can sew circles around any level-20 Foozbane.

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Merorry
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9
 44%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Thumbs up for traditional Haste boots Reply with quote

Personally i think there is two important levels in NWN.
10 and below, whitch generally sucks
11 and above, when game starts to be fun, and there is more time for RP too. And about talking about realism. This is fantasy based game, for gods sake. Realism issues belong to simulator type games.

Just had to spitit out
Greetings Merorry
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I think it starts to be fun from level 5, seeing you got some combat skills and generally face things like goblins and kobolds. Lots of things to do, you can already have some multiclass stuff etc and nice equipment.
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit for me to work on here...

Quote:
After all, killing dragons doesn't necessarily make you any wiser in the chem lab.

Quote:
I agree that char level shouldn't really be a factor. I think XP and level apply only to a character's class abilities and battle experience.

At the moment, yes, simply because the only way you can ever gain experience in this game is by killing stuff. It's going to change. We're going to put ways of earning xp in there that's more related to your class. For example, wizards could craft items magically, earning them xp on success, they could also read tomes from a library for xp. Each class will have their own way of earning xp, as well as the usual method of killing stuff. In Har-Rhun we have made it so that anyone successfully disarming a trap or unlocking a door will earn themselves and anyone nearby in their party some xp. So in other words, Tae doesn't have to be brilliant at dragon slaying in order to be a good alchemist. She would get xp for performing alchemy, which would raise her levels as well as the dragon slaying.
Tae
Master

XP
 85%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff Inn wrote:
We're going to put ways of earning xp in there that's more related to your class. For example, wizards could craft items magically, earning them xp on success, they could also read tomes from a library for xp. Each class will have their own way of earning xp, as well as the usual method of killing stuff. In Har-Rhun we have made it so that anyone successfully disarming a trap or unlocking a door will earn themselves and anyone nearby in their party some xp. So in other words, Tae doesn't have to be brilliant at dragon slaying in order to be a good alchemist. She would get xp for performing alchemy, which would raise her levels as well as the dragon slaying.

Whoo! Whoo! That opens up a lot of possibilities. Forget chasing Ogres, I'll chase hemlines! Now, where did I put the directions on how to make Shoes of Self-Tying? cool.gif
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i liked that actually..i got most of my xp from unlocking all those doors and chests in tha little town...one thing though...you should make a script that if there is an NPC in tha area and you just break into thaeir stuff like that, and they see you or detect you or whatever, then you should make um go hostile towards you and attack...add a little bit of excitement...like upstiars at tha inn...theirs tha inkeeper just walking around while i break into his inn and steal all his shit...
Conrad Hollows
PostMon 08/11/03 8:19pm
I think that can be pretty easily handled by changing the owner faction on the objects in question to match that of the NPC walking around.  Reply with quote

Grusk
PostTue 08/12/03 1:59am
You lost me Conrad.  Reply with quote

AliZee'
PostTue 08/12/03 2:53am
read my post Grusk...  Reply with quote

Grusk
PostTue 08/12/03 6:00am
Thanks Ali.

Nice trick too.

Erm .. yeah, go for it. Great ideas.

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NPC faction matching the "owner faction" on chests, doors, and pretty much any other object achieves the desired results.

Guard by door on faction X, door is owned by faction X, character opens/disturbs door, Guard goes into attack mode.

NPC walking around his house, character opens the locked chest owned by the faction of the NPC while NPC is walking by, NPC goes hostile ... etc etc.
Sep
PostTue 08/12/03 2:05pm
Awesome... Ill have to check it out soon.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: