DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Har-Rhun status

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Har-Rhun status Reply with quote

What's been done so far has been a bit of a team effort between myself, Griff Inn (big props to Griff in the UK), and Ultrafoo.

People have been asking about "well what can I send you? what can I design?" and at this point it's hard for me to say specifically because we are working on fleshing out areas while sticking new ones in and due to trying to stick within particular geographical definitions, we can't just stick "any city anywhere" if you know what I mean. Another issue is level of difficulty ... as what we've been doing now is definitely lowbie oriented. Lastly is the issue of tags, scripts and other things done on other areas conflicting with that which has been laid out as framework so far.

Griff may wanna chime in on this ... but here is what I can give you as a thumbnail run down so far ...

We've got about 12 main overland map areas laid out with 1 small town, and a medium city and larger city in the works.

The small town, which is the general starting area, currently has 5 quests. These are not "epic" in nature ... but hard to be epic with rats and beetles. 2 of the quests happen outside of the town gates, you need to get the key to gate from the Mayor to undertake those.

Several nice little touches like quest objectives that are not "gone" when someone completes the quest. You can't do it again yourself, but someone else can come along and do the same quest and not have to wait for it all to respawn. Also xp is implemented on some of the traps and locks (for disarming, unlocking) which will be pretty much standard on all traps and locks in most cases. Chests, crates and barrels that require a search check to get something (or get "better" stuff). Many dialogue nuances relying on persuade and general personality ... many of which also carry alignment alterations. Recklessly looting some chests will bump your alignment towards chaos, for example.

The idea will be to have at least one "quest" or otherwise point of interest in each map zone. The idea here is that there won't be too many shortages of things to do.
Sep
PostThu 07/31/03 3:30pm
Sounds awesome. Cant wait to check it out.  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Har-Rhun status Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:
Several nice little touches like quest objectives that are not "gone" when someone completes the quest. You can't do it again yourself...

I'll add a bit here, the quests can be repeated each server restart. It was commented that we should make the quests persistent, in other words you can only ever do the quest once per char, but it's something we don't want to do. We'd have to make a load of new quests each week to make up for the loss.

Regarding all these fancy things like hak paks, persistency etc. My view on them at present is the same as Conrad's: "Nice icing on the cake, but not truly needed". I don't see them being implemented any time soon, as far as Har-Rhun is concerned. As I don't feel that they are needed in the slightest. I mean look at Dyso. Did dyso have hak paks, major persistency etc? No, and it did bloody great without them. They're not things I am completely closing the door on, but if they are added it won't be anytime soon. For the reasons I have stated and because we are very far away from "putting the icing on the cake".
Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me second the props to Griff - he's got some deadly scripts running...very cool. Conrad also has some killer ideas on what to do - the newbie quests we've got running so far are much better than any server i've been on. We're pumping out areas with quests and such at a pretty decent pace...i'd say Har-Rhun is going to be great!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
PostFri 08/01/03 2:38pm
How many maps are their total?  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
PostFri 08/01/03 8:42pm
If you wanna count the little houses and such ... cripes probably 30 or more so far.  Reply with quote

Ultrafoo
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49 EXP: 13 / 49
 26%
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and those are large maps at that - containing a 4 level orc cave system, a 3 level crypts, 3 level goblin caves...not that many cities yet. Alot to come!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostSat 08/02/03 7:05pm
I thought it was going to be called Cobar Arulien?  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
PostSun 08/03/03 12:57am
Cobar is Tuskan and Har-Rhun combined.  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so ...

Hmm, sounding like Griffo ...

Anyhow, Har-Rhun 1.16 should be running on the same IP as Tuskan-US but on port 5122. Player password is conrad.

Suffice to say we're talking just tip of the iceberg with a lot of it ... so many details need to be done and what not ... but there is, at least, something somewhat playable right now.

I'll say this now ... don't get attached to any characters or whatever ... vaults are liable to be wiped at any time for any reason. This is, after all, alpha testing.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Griff wanted me to announce this so I shall ... icon_smile.gif

Took the password for players off on recent upload of the mod ... we've got most of the areas that are in game already fairly well setup and so forth, the item crafting for some stuff is in play and working, 7 quests are currently active tho 5 of those are generally "starter" in nature ... tho the other 2 get harder. Figured it was "more playable" than it was ... so took the password off ... tho by no means complete.

I think this version is currently 1.27b
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well highlight the details of a couple of things in Har-Rhun:

1. Newb friendly - level 1 characters are automatically returned to life on death and suffer none of the bad effects of death listed below. Map for the first area is auto-revealed so you can get to know your way around easier.

2. Your actions can change your alignment towards law or chaos, as well as good or evil.

3. XP is given on disarming traps and opening locks.

4. Death: After level 1, players who die drop 10% of their gold and 3 items on the floor, ready for anyone to loot. Choosing to respawn takes 10x your level in XP and sends you to Purgatory, where you must wait a maximum of 10 minutes before you can return to the material plane. Every 2 minutes in purgatory, you get a 10% chance to return to life quicker by praying to a statue of renewal.

5. Resting: Resting requires a food ration. The only exception to this are places like inns and temples, where resting is free. After getting full rest, you must wait at least 10 minutes before you can rest again. If the area is a natural area, a little campfire appears next to you while you rest. How nice.

6. Spell changes:

I. Shield - now provides immunity to the Isaac's spells as it should.

II. Harm - Deals 50% of the enemies max hp in damage if they are above half their total. If they are below half their total it deals 3d6.

III. Time Stop - Thinking along the same lines as Alizee suggested, in order to cast, you must purchase a timestop runestone which costs around 20k, they will be difficult to find and are destroyed on successfully casting.

IV. Isaac's Lesser/Greater Missile Storm - If there are more missiles than targets, the excess missiles are wasted instead of hitting one of the targets with multiple missiles. This makes the spells virtually useless in a 1v1 situation, and more useful with a greater number of enemies in the area.

V. Elemental Shield/ Divine Aura - cannot be stacked.

7. Weapon Crafting - when a player reaches the first city, Winyatiris, they gain the opportunity to craft their own weapons.

8. Item crafting - available in Winyatiris, mages can craft their own items using a special altar.

9. Cursed potions - available in Winyatiris, rogues can purchase cursed potions to give to their enemies. icon_twisted.gif

10. Pool of good fortune - Feeling lucky? Have a go at the pool of fortune, where the jackpot rises as you play. Will be added on next update. Thanks to Shadowleaf for the inspiration of this idea.

11. Ship travel system - when a player reaches a new city, they can purchase a ship ticket which will provide unlimited access to that city.
Sep
PostWed 08/20/03 9:48pm
Awesome! Keep it up!  Reply with quote

Uin
PostThu 08/21/03 11:24am
I'll be back to testing it as soon as I can patch, which it won't let me do. icon_sad.gif  Reply with quote

M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used any camera Hack cant update
well can but first use hack again and choose reset to bio defaults then auto patcher fine
Also brandons Camera hack works it seems on no problem
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows wrote:
OK Griff wanted me to announce this so I shall ... icon_smile.gif

Took the password for players off on recent upload of the mod ... we've got most of the areas that are in game already fairly well setup and so forth, the item crafting for some stuff is in play and working, 7 quests are currently active tho 5 of those are generally "starter" in nature ... tho the other 2 get harder. Figured it was "more playable" than it was ... so took the password off ... tho by no means complete.

I think this version is currently 1.27b

I made mention of this to the Shadow Thieves Guild on the Bioware boards. Our PW is on indefinate hold as the modmaker/owner is having ISP troubles, and cant get it to be beta tested. Hope you wont mind, but we need a place to play and we can playtest a lot for you. Perhaps if it works out and we can make this our home, we can have a Guildhouse?

Our guild is chock full of low-magic loving, RPing PnPers. Check out the post "Something to Read" for an example of our IC forum chat.

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=453
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind a little pub so long as folks keep in mind that ...

a) this is all extremely alpha and vaults could be wiped at any time and areas/general stuff could suddenly radically change. In other words ... I wouldn't say Griff or I would endorse anyone getting TOO comfortable.

b) insofar as organizations/guilds go ... many if not most of them are going to be handled via the administrative group folks. I have a theory on guilds and that is that they are generally bad news unless the people running them are all basically on the core crew helping to administrate the server. This is not to say that players won't make their own groups ... they will of course do so ... but bear in mind that such groups will generally not be "officially supported" by the end product of the module. I do believe Griff is full well planning to handle a thieves guild for the module much like I am going to handle the knightly order. Names are still up in the air to a degree ... but the Knightly order is most likely going to be called the Brotherhood of the Vigilant Hand. It will be modeled more closely to the Order of the Radiant Heart etc. etc.

This is not to say that player-formed groups might not get some support or even a base/HQ ... but doing such now is not a priority. The priority for such stuff will be on the groups which we will be setting up in advance for players to already have in place for their characters to join and utilize.
Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I explained its still in the development state, not even Beta beta yet. So far I have not gotten much response. As far as vault wipes, we usually just run around with level 1 characters anyway, there is little to no combat, maybe one kill/assassination per session.

I just looked at it from both sides and saw a mutually beneficial, simbiotic relatoionship that has a possibility of working out and wanted to put it on the table to see what everyone thinks.
Maelstrom696969
PostMon 08/25/03 2:56pm
Wow. Nice list, there, Griff. You guys are doing some amazing stuff.  Reply with quote

CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be running the mages guild and that sort of stuff it it matters much.
Already had that picked out a long time before. icon_mrgreen.gif

(edit)
Or mostly it's possible I'll be running the cleric side of things. Might just stick with the knightly stuff though, not sure. depends on what happens with stuff. For the most part I'll be running everything with the spell casters though. (/edit)
RedStorm
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a cleric,a good one too!
anyway
griff,you made harm suck ass T_T
oh oh oh.do this:
Your deity DOES effect your aligment,cuz lots of lawful goods are walking around as cyric's
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Griff Inn
PostTue 08/26/03 6:12pm
Sorry that harm is now not uber enough for you, next!  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's upset about harm I suppose Issac's really will have him down ... heh ...

and no, there is no way to necessarily prevent someone from being LG and choosing Cyric as their deity field ... but the general system of approach we are taking thus far, more or less, is that anything to do with temples of given deities will be checking both character alignment compatibility as well as what you have in your deity field.

SOOOOO ... if you try to do something like being a LG worshipper of cyric, you will soon find that you probably won't be able to access any special functions of any temples.
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the new version of Harm in the 3.5 edition does 10/level points of negative energy (max 150) and they get a will save for half. Same goes for heal. It heals 10/level points of damage (max 150) and will save for half to undead things. I like your idea, but I like the new 3.5 idea better. icon_biggrinno.gif Although I can for SURE say that I've never been a fan of harm. WAAYY to cheap.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CattiBrie

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the wishing pools, w00t!

I went in with Juju ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) and decided to place a couple of bets since the fortune was at around 25000.... I had some to blow and I rolled for 5 minutes ... 50 gp LOST and a cruddy roll...

*then* a roll that said lost 50 gp... and a long delay sitting in the "open" animation... *ding ding* we have a winner!!! woo hoo I rolled a perfect 100 and got all the gold, woo frickin hoo! yay!!!!

Now I'm 25k richer, I'm so lucky... weee.
Griff Inn
PostSat 08/30/03 1:55am
icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winyatiris

How is this pronounced?

WIN-nee-uh-TEE-ris

WIN-ya-TEE-ris?

WIN-ya TIE-ris?
Conrad Hollows
PostWed 09/10/03 3:51am
WIN-ya-TEE-ris or WIN-ya-TIR-is would basically be acceptable.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> State of the World All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: