DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Deities

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Deities Reply with quote

I am going to be working on the various temples in Tholtir-Tal shortly ... there are 6 main ones within the Temple District, and could perhaps squeeze in a couple more via some of the extra doors in the area ... but mainly like the idea of 6.

One of them will be a Helmite temple as that is part and parcel with the "history" of the module and the surrounding area being essentially a Helmite theocratic colonial undertaking.

That leaves 5 others ... I am looking for gods/goddesses in most cases that have the broadest possible application to many various classes and alignments. I do figure one of them will be Tyr (as opposed to Torm who is a newer deity and not as likely to have had a large following when the island was originally settled). Outside that need an "evil" deity which the Helmites would have tolerated in the first place ... and then the rest of them, as stated before, a mix that sorta has something for most everyone where possible.

I have my own general idea of just which ones to use, but I am posting this here to get some other input and ideas that perhaps I overlooked. Non-human deities will be supported in other more logical places unless someone makes a great case for it ... and even then, I doubt it.
Norrec
PostFri 09/19/03 11:59am
What about Mielikki?  Reply with quote

Sep
PostFri 09/19/03 1:32pm
Waukeen, Mask, Shar, Bane, Bhaal, Brandobaris

Just off the top of my head and w/o the first cup of coffee. more to come.

Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhaal is dead for your information. And Meilikki is more the type for nature based temples. I suggest a god like Valsharun (Minor deity of Necromancy, NE) his temple needs to be semi hidden, maybe give it a small graveyard, also Red Knight might fit in well (Demi Deity of Strategy, LN), Tempus (Deity of Battle, CN) works nice.

Other good suggestions:
Shaundakal (CN, winds, travel, portals, miners and caravans)
Selune (CG, good and neutral lycantropes, moon, navigation, sailors)
Ilmater (LG, healing, endurance, suffering)
Gond (TN, smiths and creation)
Azuth (LN, spellcasters in general, mages, wizards)

I think the only mayor evil deity that could survive in a city guarded by Helm without doing it in secret would be Bane, seeing Banites don't break the law a lot, they let the law work for them.
Griff Inn
PostFri 09/19/03 2:48pm
why not do it BG style and have lathander/helm/talos, and then go from there.  Reply with quote

Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before someone says, please don't attach a Meilikki to a druids grove, Druid's work for nature and very few actually have a deity.

Another thing, a Travel deity might be appropriate.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post on the BioWare forum:

Druids have no Gods. Druids believe in no Gods - save, perhaps, Silvanus. And then, far from all believe in him. What Druids do believe in is Nature, and they draw their powers from it.

That said, Druids are not Prophets (Lackeys) of any God. That is a trade that they disdainfully left for Clerics, Paladins, and the likes. Druids are Guardians, and preservers of Balance.
Druid can serve quite a lot of different deities.

Chauntea(neutral good) for those druids who guide mankind (and elves, dwarves or whomever) to benefit from nature and it's resources but without harming and exploiting nature.

Silvanus (true neutral) for those druid preserving true balance within nature and it's environmental cycle. They're gonna oppose anyone who exploits, abuses or otherwise harms nature.

Talos (chaotic evil) for those druids who feel that the raw and uncontrolable powers of nature should harm, be main, cruel and destructive for this is natures true form.

Mielikki (neutral good, servant of Silvanus) also called Lady of the Woods. Comparable to Silvanus in ethos though the supports the believe in the good and prosperous side of nature.

Umberlee (chaotic evil, servant of Talos) also called The Royal ***, her she reigns over the powers of the sea, stating that anyone who dares to travel through her realms has to be prepared to pay the price. Her powers and influence are fading since Talos claims them for himself.

Auril (neutral evil, servant of Talos) also called The Frost Maiden. Comparable to Umberlee though Auril's realm of influence is restricted to cold climates. Also fading in power and influence because Talos is also claiming her powers.

Eldath (true neutral) goddess of waterfalls, lakes and sources and also guardian of druid groves. Extreme neutral and almost absolutely pacifistic; teaches that true neutrality and balance can only be achieved by not interfering at all.

Baelros is almost identical to Talos though only a lesser deity. He's either a local deity in the lands of Calimshan or another form of Talos himself.

Mother Earth is only a local deity on the Moonshine Islands though she has the powers of a greater deity there. Comparable to Chauntea but also teaches that agriculture and wilderness need to be balanced since both are only one from of eachother.

Gwaeon Windstorm lesser deity and servant of Mielikki. Usually only rangers pray to Gwaeon since he resembles the skills of tracking.

These are only deities of humans. There are a lot of other deities fitting for druids among the non-human ones (especially elven gods serve those purpose).

((just a nice informative reference for my level 26 post!)
Z
Hero

XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify about druids, actually although the number of druids who believe in gods is not substantial (around 5% max). Druids CAN believe in Gods while being PERFECTLY COMPATIBLE with their druidic beliefs. They simply believe that Gods are a greater manifestation of the *Spirit* which all druids fundamentally believe in. This Spirit while most apparent in Nature and Life exists in everything and thus believing in Gods does not conflict with this all encompassing view.

So when you say all druids draw their power from Nature, even the ones that believe in Gods and draw power from them simply see that Gods are part of Nature/Spirit.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only pan on Talos being incorporated is that it's somewhat the Talosian mantra to just destroy and torment anything around that is possible to destroy and torment. Not saying a temple to Talos isn't totally possible in places, but the more I thought about it, the more I saw it incompatible with a social structure which was essentially put together around Helmite roots. Any evil "in town" needs to be more of the subtle variety ... or at least more of the "lawful" variety. Maybe Loviatar ... the bondage and pain mistress. icon_smile.gif
Balkur
PostFri 09/19/03 8:13pm
Bane is LE if i'm not mistaken...  Reply with quote

Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the evil diety have to have an open society? Why not have something like an underground evil religion. I cannot say I know a terrible amount about FR dieties, but maybe even something subversive to the helmite cause, or maybe still supports strong civilized society, just doesn't feel that all deserve protection, and that even manipulation and abuse of teh "lessers" in society is a good thing. I don't see it being cultish (anymore than any religion is) but rather a highly structured, and organized underground society or movement that has possibly infiltrated the helmite social structure. I can think of at least two former dysotopia players who'd probably eat this stuff up like candy and play the role perfectly. Well, that's just my idea. Don't have an openly evil temple, but construct something like this for them to turn to.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 3rd edition gods? I think Corellian Latheron (sp?) is an excellent god. Then we have Heironious and Hextor, Moradin, Olidammara, and a few others that would be good candidates.

Otherwise, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mystra...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg...all these tallies tsk tsk tsk your lucky that im here or else you all would have had bad fortune till tha end of your days...
have you all forgotten Waukeen!?
View users profile Send private message
Grusk
The Ownerizer

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78 EXP: 12 / 78
 15%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Shakes his head, sighing*

I'll just build my own temple to Cyric.

Xavier Dotson will hail upon the land again if the temple to Cyric isn't constructed.

Do you honestly want my filth back? icon_twisted.gif
Marquis Drayfox
PostSat 09/20/03 7:15pm
Actually, Sep said something about Waukeen.  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most gods from the forgotten system will have their own temples in tuskan spread around the isle, some public, some hidden. They'll all have their own goals, guild items, relics and quests as well. Guild items are mostly done consisting of armors, maces and alternate weapons for levels 5-10-15. Seeing how Tuskan is an older colony than Har-rhun it makes sense religion being established in a broader range.
Conrad Hollows
PostSun 09/21/03 2:07am
In relation to what Falk said ... I am in no way planning to try to implement support within Har-Rhun for every deity ... just a selection of them.  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostSun 09/21/03 3:49am
That's what I said! The most important thing is to have some of the more major ones atleast. Like that Temple District in BG2.  Reply with quote

Sarah
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 4 / 49 EXP: 4 / 49 EXP: 4 / 49
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sep wrote:
Waukeen, Mask, Shar, Bane, Bhaal, Brandobaris

Just off the top of my head and w/o the first cup of coffee. more to come.

dumbass
Truia
Grandmaster

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45
 71%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uin wrote:
Another thing, a Travel deity might be appropriate.

that would be Akadi

Goddess of the element Air, Movement, speed and flying creatures...

heres a Link to forgotten realm gods and goddesses, Along with their clerical domains :p

http://12.232.108.96/game/campaign/rules/magic/divine/gods/gods.html

and I think gods and such should stay in the Greater power range.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Truia
Grandmaster

Level: 18
XP
EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45 EXP: 32 / 45
 71%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit button failed me -_-

.... at least include the elemental gods and goddesses in there...

which would mean

Akadi Elemental air, movement, speed, flying creatures F N Air, Illusion, Travel, Trickery
Grumbar Elemental earth, solidity, changelessness, oaths M N Earth, Cavern, Metal, Time
Istishia Elemental water, purification, wetness M N Water, Destruction, Ocean, Storm, Travel
Kossuth Elemental fire, purification through fire M N/LN Fire, Destruction, Renewal, Suffering

*coughs* dont forget there shouyld be underground cults to worship the not so religious gods.....
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Zedium
Hero

XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, those elemental gods have a very small following, and their temples are rarely (read: normally never) in a city. They prefer locations that have something to do with their element, so a temple for Grumbar would be underground or in a cave, and Akadi could have a temple on the highest mountain.
Zantia-1
Mortal

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 6 / 11 EXP: 6 / 11 EXP: 6 / 11
 54%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should start with temples that have large cleric followings so far..then expand from there so clerics have good time fun, beacause the druids have a druids guild...and the fighters have the figters guild so they dont need to have nature and fighting temples and such.

Also, people should get to submit there own god temples...but of course restricing rules to go around them- so if its a temple only that cahr would worship at they have to fund it and and hire the priest(s) and of course it has to be a char thats been around for a while..so we dont see temples poping around unused everywhere.

Zan
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we can already submit our own houses. And after awhile, Griff said that we will be able to submit our own areas and cities. So... I'm sure this might be a factor after awhile.

But for now, we are keeping it simple.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people want to play a cleric of a specific god and want to create their own temple i'm fine with it. I'll handle npc priests, guild items, and the like. THere are some basic guidelines to maintain but other than that let me know if you're interested in a career as cleric. Those replying are most likely to get their temple up first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Idea Mill All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: