DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Hak Packs...

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Would You Download a Hak Pack?
Yep - if it was small (less than 5MB)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yep - I could handle a bigger one... (less than 15MB)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Yep - Size is no issue. Bring it on.
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Nope - Don't want to download a Hak Pack. Period.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Don't Care - Not really an issue for me. If I do, I do.
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Glith
PostWed 10/01/03 10:04pm
Thinking about stuff, and was just wondering what your tolerance of 'em were.

Thanks!

M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading is no problem I have a rather fast connection that deals with even large D/lds quite quickly.The question is do I want to and thats not a question of size but content.That is what youre poll dont inform.

One negative point ive noticed about Haks.Is once this door is opened there a continous clamor noise annoyance from some quarters to add this Hak or another super wonderfull uber magnificent Hak that we really cant play the game without.
There never a shortage of slick adjectives for these Haks or shortage of pejoratives (spelling???)for those that oppose.Basically the Hak may be good but is it worth the noise levels to have em??.personally and thats all it is personally I think not.

Also as the next expansion isnt really that far away why bother with Haks.... One till the present module is completed AND two till the new expansion is integrated.
You add frills when the dress is being finished not when youre still cutting and stiching.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I agree with MK totally on this. Haks are nice, but never anything I saw as totally necessary ... and with the next expansion not far off ... I think waiting until AFTER that would be far more prudent.
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see as much done as possible with the standard toolset before I download a hak. And if you want to attract players, it probably better not having a hak-pak at all.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Uin
PostThu 10/02/03 11:39am
-1 vote for yes-any size.

Damn my twitchy figures. icon_evil.gif

Glith
The Wanderer

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33 EXP: 23 / 33
 69%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get too deep into possibilities - but, regarding a hak-pack - I'm thinking...

'Hmm. If Cobar has a shared Vault, then the characters in the Vault will have been given special items / weapons / equipment that they'll want to take into the mods that use the vault. And If Mod A defines the 'Killer Longsword' as a Longsword +55, and Mod B defines the 'Killer Longsword' as a curst item doing 3d10 damage to the wielder per it... then we've got a problem. What's the best way around it.'

So I thought, and it hit me: Putting all the special iteams / weapons / etc in an independant hak-pack that all the Cobar mods could use.

As I said - that's about as far as it's progressed. Haven't even really brought it up to all the folks slaving away at Cobar/Tuskan/Har-rhun. Personally, I wouldn't want to see it used for more than a common object repository...

That was some of my thinking. I agree with the general opinion here about not wanting to use it to extend scenery objects, nwn behaviors, add character features... that can wait until after Underdark. For now, just a common chest we can use to ensure we don't have *.bic problems moving from mod to mod.

Just thinking out loud here. Thanks!

Mike

Mood of the Moment:
"I Feed the Pidgeons - I Sometimes Feed the Sparrows too. It gives me a sense of enormous well-being."
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sep
PostThu 10/02/03 1:33pm
Im on high speed internet. I really dont care about hak size, I d/l over 50MB hak for another module, and it took like maybe a half hour or so.  Reply with quote

AliZee'
PostThu 10/02/03 7:10pm
i think haks really do make a difference  Reply with quote

GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, size doesn't matter as I can grab them over the T1, however, I'd rather not download any sized hak unless there's something that is really needed. Different clothing, glowy weapons, nudity, and so forth I don't really consider to be all that needed. And I completely think that we should wait for the next expansion is released before even touching a hak pack.
Which brings up another question, and please don't answer it here. What's the requirements for Underdark? I can't for the life of me find my jeedy SoU CD. I was also curious to know if SoU needed to be installed for the next expansion to work. I want to rebuild my computer badly, but don't want to do so if I have to go out and purchase another copy of SoU only to have to pick up Underdark shortly there after. If you know the answer to this, please send me a PM.

Last edited by GorbGuy on Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total
Ng'ree
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14 EXP: 12 / 14
 85%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the exact question but I am quite sure that you can get your CD replaced for a nominal (cheap) price all you have to say is that your CD was broken, all that really matters is the key anyway.

Now I am not too sure about copy protection but usually this can be circumvented.

Gnobi Chaos Moon Clan
Stupidest Gobo on Dyso
Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hak Packs can add alot of really nice content. However, they aren't really an option for new mods that are still trying to build a player base. When players are trying out new mods, they tend to skip over the ones that require a hak download unless they have some really compelling reason to think its a great mod. Namely, unless it already has a huge player population, which makes them think it must be good, or it was recommended to them by word of mouth, or it has a really impressive website.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have said it better myself Muric which is why I get so bloody frustrated with all this damn hakpack talk. Now is not the time for such ideas or plans, it's not even close ... unless dealing with a hakpack which like everyone and their brother is using.
Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough there is only 1 out of 16 votes who actually opposes the idea of using a hakpak. Also pointing to the most popular mod at the moment Horn of the Fox which far as i know has used a hakpak for ages.
I rather have my doubts a hakpak will keep players away unless it is sloppily done, impossible to find.
On the other hand publicising the advantages of playing a mod with a good hakpak content might persuade people to try out the mod as opposed to all those other mods that use exactly the same standard content.
I seen some of the tileset hakpaks which are my favorite as in my opinion they really do add to a mod, things like the swamp tileset and the treevillage tileset. There is no decent way to make those with current content and can add really unique areas to a mod which might actually attract people instead of repel them.
Player models and unique creatures are my second favorite addition to a mod.
I'm less interested in things like robes, nudity, new weapon models and the like.
The same arguments that are used against adding hakpaks can be made against using SoU or HotU since the majority of players is not likely to buy both expansions. And hakpaks cost no money, all it takes is a little bit of time to download it.

Just throwing fuel on the fire...
Uin
PostSat 10/04/03 7:31am
I think ppl are saying "yes-any size" because of the lack of a "no-rather see the toolset used to the max, I can d/l any size" option.  Reply with quote

Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course your current active player base will download a hak pack for your mod, and enjoy the new features. The people who read this and vote here are your current players. The point was the affect it has on attracting new players. Our opinion on this differs. My opinion is that it reduces the influx of truly new-to-the-community players, and marries you to your existing player base to a certain extent.

The exception to this rule is mods with huge player bases like Lands of Lore. Most players like to go where there is a large community already, and will pick a mod based on player count exclusively. If so many play it, it must be fun. Also, more people to play with, more fun. So if you have a huge player base, new players are more willing to download a hak pack to try the mod.
Truia
PostSun 10/05/03 2:19pm
bring on the hak pak.. I love them, I can add another to my collection of hundreds, if anyone uses a new hak pak for their module  Reply with quote

M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt vote to oppopse a Hak Pak per se **voted didnt care**BUT the questions are misleading *we have Generic Hak Pak **Not detail of what why and what will offer.You are claiming support for a rather nebulous non defined unexplained idea.
Of course youll get people jumping on band wagons for that in true Mob mentality fashion mode.Yes well take the Hak..what I found intresting wa the people who say yes to Anything.because that what you are saying Yes to Anything ok I do like the intelligent reasonable and responsible sample base in these surveys.How can you vote yes for anything ????.
And in the sycophantic fannish support for these Haks *whatever they may be**the questions the very pert questions raised by Muric are unanswered.Stating the case of LoL is reasonable but as Muric stated a special case.In contrast look aT THE other modules with haks are they thriving??.examples like LoL dont work because there are plenty of examples on both sides.But the point is correct a Hak automatically locks out people looking around to say otherwise is purile.Or to claim it wont have an effect is inane in the extreme.
Second question raised if you have Hak what haks and how to you stop the clamor for more and more and more things that we can never play the game without.And if you think that aint true use your favourite example of LoL and look at their boards.
once the module is Stable supported with the expansions integrated with their new underdark tile sets.Then possibly we could again lookat the question of Haks.In my simple simplistic brain it seems presumptuous to even consider this now.
the only advantage is it gives us somrthing to talk about!!!!!
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: