DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Where are you playing? Two (no spam please)

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Celina
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 5 / 22 EXP: 5 / 22 EXP: 5 / 22
 22%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Where are you playing? Two (no spam please) Reply with quote

Hello, I play on a server called Stormplay, it's a lord of the rings module, worth a play for any of you LOTR fans.

I know alot of others from the old Dyso Druid Circle are scattered everywhere, but hopefully we could all get together sometime, maybe in Tusk or something.
Darkshadow666
Grandmaster

Level: 16
XP
EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39 EXP: 5 / 39
 12%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI first--Gorby isn't hosting Tusk anymore due to inactivity. ((and to Falk sorry to hear that after working on my own MOD I know the time you must have put into it))

A few of us Ex-Dysotopians decided to build our own MOD and honestly the experience is a lot of fun. We originally tried to base it feel wise off of Dyso 2.x and it has still some of that feel, but a whole lot more (at least to us)

If you ever get a chance come visit us, and you'll probably find some other ex-Dyso players there too.

www.dragonsfall.com
Hurin
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 25 / 30 EXP: 25 / 30 EXP: 25 / 30
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Celina, I thought I would let you know Cal and I play on the LOTR server. I believe it's the same one you play on, if you see us say hi icon_wink.gif .
View users profile Send private message
Spears
Grandmaster

Level: 19
XP
EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49 EXP: 11 / 49
 22%
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkania here.

And yes, I will visit dragonfall- sounds like fun. Btw, Mike, you owe me a beer buddy icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the LOTR server once, and for some reason just couldn't bring myself to log on any more icon_sad.gif Sadly I have been started playing Lands of Lag(Lore). I loged on once... got in a fight with a high level drow, and now I just keep going back icon_neutral.gif It has seemed to inprove tho... if you could all just go to the site ((www.landsoflore.org)) and vote yes on the poll for them to wipe it and make growing levels harder.... icon_mrgreen.gif

Will probly head back to Ruin Valor when it is a little more... developed. Possably(Highly likely) play Cobar when its ready/populated icon_biggrin.gif
I also still have that billion gold on my LOTR Char((which is likely the reason I cant bring myself to log))... if yee want it... icon_razz.gif
Celina
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 5 / 22 EXP: 5 / 22 EXP: 5 / 22
 22%
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurin, I know you two play there icon_wink.gif
I came on Arkania and told Cal about the LOTR server and now he's already level 20 icon_eek.gif

What do you think of the server now that you've played on it?
Coral_Reef
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33 EXP: 28 / 33
 84%
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no longer hosting "The Third Throne" server in the Social Gametype.

Now I'm trying out the new 1.10 Diablo II LoD patch that was released on the 28th.

I'm also playing a CCG called Legend of the Five rings.

Coral Reef

I'm online 10 PM -> late EST -5 GMT

I host the social server
A Coral Reef

Come visit sometime!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Hurin
Master

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celina wrote:
Hurin, I know you two play there icon_wink.gif
I came on Arkania and told Cal about the LOTR server and now he's already level 20 icon_eek.gif

What do you think of the server now that you've played on it?

Actually I really enjoy the server, but lateley I havent even had much time to turn my computer on. Hopefully in the future I get a chance to start playing alot again.
Hope to see you on there Celina icon_wink.gif
Snares
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 17 / 59 EXP: 17 / 59 EXP: 17 / 59
 28%
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Har-Rhun seems pretty desolate most of the time and wonder what's the reason behind it. Arkania wasn't really for me somehow... Didn't have much appeal ultimately. In the meantime I've tried the Island on Thain, which is a pretty decently constructed world, but lacks the community feel. I've tried a whole lot of others but never quite felt at home. A friend and I were just reminiscing the good ol' days of Dyso 2.x with all its crazy guild wars and quirky individuals - really miss those times. I'm currently still looking for a nice little server, and wondering when the old Dyso crowd will start gathering again... for more multiplay madness... icon_mrgreen.gif

SNARES of the Dysotopian Druid Circle
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remnants of the "dyso-community" are flung to the far corners of cyberspace. Many don't play NWN anymore and those that do ... it seems everyone's got their own project and it comes down to a matter of "well I am working on mine, so why would I go play there?" Perfectly understandable.

Servers get going when there is an available and fairly steady player base ... and many (if not most) of the old dyso-crew doesn't want to have to work on character building ... they wanna get to level 20 in a few days and buy most of what they need at a couple shops, period. The thing is ... there's some mods out there from some old dysoers that sorta try to capture that feel and they aren't catching fire, either. I think a lot of that is due in part to two things ... 1) the fact that most are all working on their own things 2) the fact that people are lazy and don't want to learn a new system or series of maps ... they knew all the stuff in dyso, knew all the little tricks and such, and don't want to have to start out "at the bottom" again.

You hear all the time "well I'd play there but there's never anyone there." It's a self-fulfilling and self-defeating prophecy because if everyone does that, then you are assured that no one is ever going to be there. This applies to several modules, where you have perhaps a better setup than you had with Dysotopia, more space to get out and wander and explore in, and so forth ... but as I said, dysopeople don't want to spend time struggling at lower levels trying to figure it out ... they want to know going in that you go buy a greater belt and hit the trolls immediately and beat on them until you get to level 13.

I've tried to see about drumming up some interest here and there, but by in large you don't see a lot of player migration. Folks have the modules that they've been playing on and built up a rep or power on and they aren't of a mind to start over when its easier to stay with the status-quo. It's an uphill battle in things like this when the idea of many is that a good module is one where you can quickly level and find great items. Some have said they wanna see organizational support and so forth ... hey I'm all for that ... but nobody comes to the table with any organizational ideas. People want you to do it for them but don't want to actually have to work on anything themselves, a concept which we saw repeatedly before.

I dunno what the resolution of this all is ... or even if there is one. I just keep on working what I've been working on because I've committed to it and that's that. In spite of the tedious nature of module building, it's amusing to me and entertaining in its own way. I find it funny in some respects that when the solicitations for ideas and what not have gone forth for various modules, the response is tepid at best ... sure there's some diehards who will work on stuff, but for the most part you get a lot of silence. People complain when they say they don't have a say and then when they get a say they say nothing ... go figure. Kinda goes in step with my assessment of many of the old dysoers as being lazy and selfish ... they want to bitch and complain but they don't really want to put in any effort to fix or improve something. They want the credit for improving the module, but they don't want to do any of the heavy lifting associated with it. They only want or need a say in a module when they feel it will benefit their "power" in the module, being constructive and helpful for the sake of a better community or game is an alien concept to most of them.

Of course a large portion of them now don't even play NWN anymore so the only way they have to sorta "keep their name in lights" is to bitch and complain in the first place. Another one of those self-fulfilling prophecies at work.
Little Teapot
PostWed 11/05/03 10:09pm
I love how conrad can just copy/paste this little talk now...  Reply with quote

Hurin
Master

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snares wrote:
A friend and I were just reminiscing the good ol' days of Dyso 2.x with all its crazy guild wars and quirky individuals - really miss those times.

You speak for alot of us Snares. It's been hard to find a server that had the feel and the people that Dysotopia 2.x had. Even though I played on Arkania for a few months, it never really did have the same feeling. I think the biggest thing for me is that Dyso was the first online server I played on, and it was the first server I truly felt involved in. Tiarella Jones introduced me into Dysotopia and I had alot of fun with it. Snares invited me into the Druids Circle and I really felt like I was a part of the Dyso community.
But, like Conrad said, most of us are scattered throughout the servers..those of us that play. Maybe there will be a server that opens up in the future that will bring alot of the old community back together...or then again maybe I should just go to bed and get some sleep before I keep babling nonesense half consciously icon_wink.gif
I do hope to keep seeing you all in the forums at the least, even conrads long speaches I find are a comfort to see when comming to the forums( icon_wink.gif Just a joke Conrad)
Snares
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 17 / 59 EXP: 17 / 59 EXP: 17 / 59
 28%
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed out a lot when I was enlisted into the army, though right now I'm trying to catch up on any new developments here. Looking into Har-Rhun and maybe Myhrr when the green light's on.

SNARES of the Dysotopian Druid Circle
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Myhrr looks like it might blow the rest of us away. I don't mean from just the regular run-of-the-mill things you can do with NWN, I mean because it's going to be able to do things that most of us just plain CAN'T (well, not without setting up a SQL database). But we'll see.

Conrad & Co., I checked out Har-Rhun finally, and I must say, I doff my hat to you guys. Nice work! I recommend it to anybody!

Now back to Dragonsfall..... (heh)
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a minimalist in approach. SQL databases and all that stuff are nifty ... but personally I'm not out to devote my whole life to a module. Griff and I talked about this at length way back and we both pretty much decided we'd do as much as we could within the framework of the base game and expansions ... rather than try to go crazy with a lot of 3rd party applications.
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to say that im one of those that hardly play NWN anymore, dunno, just lost its appeal...but i dont come in ehre to bitch and complain icon_biggrin.gif lol imma have to commit to droppin in on everyones servers from time to time to see whats going on icon_biggrin.gif
Balkur
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19
 26%
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what you use the SQL for, Conrad, its not necessarilly fluff. If i can script the front end right, i should be able to do convos/quests with it as a back end subsystem. SetCustomToken() is all string based, and could save a ton of space in a mod.
Darkshadow666
PostSat 11/08/03 2:05am
Today's Dinner special will be Crow? Anybody ready to eat some? icon_cool.gif  Reply with quote

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said it was fluff, Balkur ... it's got some great stuff going for it. On the flip side, however, as I said, it's something Griff and I discussed and neither he nor I felt it was terribly pressing to work on or with. If we can get the stuff to do most of what we want it to do without using it ... well, we'd just prefer to take the easier path, even if it's not "easier" per se' ... it is one less thing to have to deal with and worry about. Admittedly, if you have it set up right, SQL does some terrific stuff.
Balkur
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19 EXP: 5 / 19
 26%
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh sorry i misunderstood your reasoning. Yes SQL can add a lot, but if there's a learning curve involved it can set you back a month or so just setting it up and putting in back end apps.

I've set up mine such that the mod will still run in a non-committed mode should the database crash which makes it even more tricky to design around.
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.realmofvalor.tk/

See my post in offtopic icon_smile.gif
Ah, and I forgot to mention it uses a database as well... One that actually works icon_wink.gif
Marquis Drayfox
PostSat 11/08/03 1:18pm
I'm quite amazed at all the attention this thread has gotten in the last 12 hours...  Reply with quote

Drudley
PostSat 11/08/03 1:38pm
Thats what happends when a topic goes off topic  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: